Loki Weapon Systems?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Loki Weapon Systems?

Post by Shaper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Any of the AR Gurus here have any experience with them? My Google-Fu is not getting much back in the way of reviews of their product, good or bad.

I ask because they have a good price on a Dark Earth Cerakote mid-length free float flat top upper w/ phantom flash hider for $454 that is calling my name.

http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com/produc ... egory_id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Loki Weapon Systems?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:35 pm

1:8 barrel twist might have trouble stabilizing the heavier loads. I've never heard of them before, but I'm a pretty centrist-guy as far as ARs go. I won't use parts unless the company has a decent following, a recommendation form MilCopp, or I can meet hte guy and his customers.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Doc Torr wrote:1:8 barrel twist might have trouble stabilizing the heavier loads. I've never heard of them before, but I'm a pretty centrist-guy as far as ARs go. I won't use parts unless the company has a decent following, a recommendation form MilCopp, or I can meet hte guy and his customers.
You are pretty much reading my mind on everything you just posted, doc.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Shaper wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:1:8 barrel twist might have trouble stabilizing the heavier loads. I've never heard of them before, but I'm a pretty centrist-guy as far as ARs go. I won't use parts unless the company has a decent following, a recommendation form MilCopp, or I can meet hte guy and his customers.
You are pretty much reading my mind on everything you just posted, doc.
But for the record, I would be running bulk 62gr. m855, silver bear, wolf, etc. something like 98% of the time so the 1:8 twist should do fine, or no?

E

Post by E » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:12 pm

a 1:8 will do fine with m855 and other 55 grain stuff. you might have problems stabilizing the 75+ grain rounds, but from what I hear 1:8 is very good.

If you do get it, buy a box or three of some 75grain ammo and try it out. But you wont have a problem with the ammo you listed

Note: this is not experience, this is just from reading.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:39 pm

1/8 twist is pretty popular among a lot of great shooters and trainers, actually. 1/8 (actually, what's called 1/8 is usually 1/7.7) is the twist on JP-15 VTAC, designed to Kyle Lamb's specs. A lot of other quality rifles also use 1/8, some prefer it to 1/7. 1/8 will generally stabilize projectiles up to 90 grains.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the manufacturer, agreed, their stuff actually looks pretty good, but I'd want to know more about them before ordering anything.

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:51 pm

That upper doesnt come with a BCG or charging handle, by the time you figure that in, you are in the same catagory as a BCM upper... And they are already known and proven. Plus you'll get a 1:7 barrel. They do have a nice website though... :mrgreen:
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 pm

JFlagg wrote:That upper doesnt come with a BCG or charging handle, by the time you figure that in, you are in the same catagory as a BCM upper... And they are already known and proven. Plus you'll get a 1:7 barrel. They do have a nice website though... :mrgreen:
If you show me a mid length upper on BCM that has a free float rail, phantom flash hider, and flat dark earth coating for $454 or under, then you have my attention. :mrgreen:

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Yea I don't think he was factoring in the rail.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Niblick wrote:Yea I don't think he was factoring in the rail.
My bad, I forgot to figure in the FF rail :oops:
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 pm

JFlagg wrote:
Niblick wrote:Yea I don't think he was factoring in the rail.
My bad, I forgot to figure in the FF rail :oops:
No worries. My last upper was BCM so I am certainly not one to dismiss their quality/price ratio. You just get so much value for what Loki includes in thier upper that it would be a shame to pass up if they truly are quality just because no one knows much about them yet.

I was just hoping someone with ties much deeper into AR-land than me would have something but that is my luck. I might have to he the guinea pig for this one...but then again, there is the Sagia + conversion that i want, and the SOCOM 16, and the...well who knows what itch I'm going to have come tax return this year, lol. ;)

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Their PDW is a fire ball launcher.

For the 1/8" barrel, that is the ideal twist rate for black hills 77gr Mk262 rounds (actually the exact twist is 1/7.7" but who's counting?) 1/7 was designed for the 64 gr tracers and the uber long.bullet that is associated with that particular round. Military gets what it wants.

I would take a 1/8" barrel over a 1/7" even though 1/7" is the cool guy thing right now.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 pm

The Walter/Lothar barrel I have in my upper is a 1/8 twist and it has no problems stabilizing up to 77grain hp. It also does quite well with 55 grain bullets.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

jwilson85
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land

Post by jwilson85 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 am

we have a huge following in the 3gun world , getting there in the regular world. All barrels have m4 feed lips ,standard barrels a 4340 steel or stainless ,the barrels are nitrited vs chrome lined which extends barrel life and wont effect accuracy. the internals of the rifles are nickle boron coated it will run oil less the tourture test rifle in out video has 15000 rounds or so and no cleaning and no ftf ,we offer a lot of different cals as well

we will shoot circles around a colt a stag a rock river not even in the same class, we are often compaired to JP and lwrc

100% american made !!!!!

we have a few centerfolds in tactical weapons mag. and a lot more coming in the may issue of guns and ammo are base rifle that is 995.00 shot under 1/5moa @ 100 yards so look for that one to come ... feel free to call us we like to chat,and im sorry i didnt see this post earlier im a member and so is the owner.. any questions pm me or call thanks guys

also on the comment of the twist im not sure where you got the info but you need a faster rate of twist to stabilize the heavier bullets. thanks again
With it or on it
http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jwilson85
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land

Post by jwilson85 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:49 am

this is my personal 6.5 grendel with our billet receivers and 24" barrel ,20moa rail and creakote burnt bronze collar

same but in a .50 beowulf i have more that i can put up if yall would like thanks
With it or on it
http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”