It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:19 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Okay, I read back about 11-12 pages and didn't see a topic related to this one (could have overlooked), so here it is. If the powers that be believe it belongs in a different section, awesome.

How practical would it be to include a sledgehammer in your inventory? Does anyone else already include it? Am I silly or otherwise delusional for thinking a sledgehammer would be useful?

Some possible uses for the sledgehammer (add more if you like?):

Effective breaching tool (for rescue operations and in the possible event you have to secure a place to bunker down in an emergency situation, not promoting anything illegal (not intentionally anyway)). Can get through doors (to include hinges and locks) more effectively than a crowbar, in my humble opinion.

Hammering in the tent spikes people tend to include in their bags.

Reduces obstacles.

Although cumbersome, can be used for self defense.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 am 

No enough pros, too many cons

- too heavy to carry
- too limited in applications

A deadblow hammer might be a reasonable alternative although it would not break down a door or barricade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 am 

It depends, Would I want to include it if i were buggin out on foot, NO. Would I keep one in the back of my truck, probably. But on foot, its just way to heavy to keep around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:42 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Shmerlin wrote:
It depends, Would I want to include it if i were buggin out on foot, NO. Would I keep one in the back of my truck, probably. But on foot, its just way to heavy to keep around.

Yup. There's no way I'm lugging a sledge about on foot. Fair piece of kit for bugging in, or for a truck or trunk.

I'd be skeptical about using it as a weapon, though. If you want to try it, try this:

Take a coconut. Either screw an eye hook into one of the three holes in the coconut and tie a rope through that, or secure a rope to the coconut in some other way. Hang the coconut from a tree branch or whatever, at the same height as your head. Now try to smash the coconut with a sledgehammer.

Post a video, too. It'd be hilarious.

I think if you tried this you'd quickly realise how much less effective a sledgehammer is than just about anything else: baseball bat, axe, hatchet, even a Mag Lite.

Still a useful tool of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:48 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm not going to carry a sledge with me bugging out, but I have one at my home/BIL...I think that a maul would be a good compromise if you couldn't have both, as would a 3 pound sledge (hammer-sized handle with a little sledge head on it)...

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:49 am 

Jeriah wrote:
Shmerlin wrote:

Yup. There's no way I'm lugging a sledge about on foot. Fair piece of kit for bugging in, or for a truck or trunk.

I'd be skeptical about using it as a weapon, though. If you want to try it, try this:

Take a coconut. Either screw an eye hook into one of the three holes in the coconut and tie a rope through that, or secure a rope to the coconut in some other way. Hang the coconut from a tree branch or whatever, at the same height as your head. Now try to smash the coconut with a sledgehammer.

I think if you tried this you'd quickly realise how much less effective a sledgehammer is than just about anything else: baseball bat, axe, hatchet, even a Mag Lite.

Well weapon wise, depending on what size sledge you have, it might not fare too bad. Also for a more realistic test, I'd get the same coconut, and put it on a pole at head hight. As hanging from a string, while funny to watch, probably isn't as realistic as something that is more staionary.

I would not want to use a "Gallager" style sledge, that would just be way to unweildly. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Shmerlin wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
Shmerlin wrote:

Well weapon wise, depending on what size sledge you have, it might not fare too bad. Also for a more realistic test, I'd get the same coconut, and put it on a pole at head hight. As hanging from a string, while funny to watch, probably isn't as realistic as something that is more staionary.

I would not want to use a "Gallager" style sledge, that would just be way to unweildly. LOL.

Hanging from a string is definately more challenging. I've got 5 coconuts with that very fate awaiting them in about a week. I think I'm going to test my Sport Axe, Woodman's Pal, 4D Maglite, pick handle, and baseball bat. I kind of want to try a machete, too, since I'm less sure it'll work. But I only have 5 coconuts this time around.

Anyway, I'm going to hang it from a string, on the logic that I want to know how well my weapons fare in the most marginal of cases.

Your "on a pole" test I'm sure would be a fair representation of a best-case scenario, i.e. the zombie isn't going anywhere, and is fairly stable on his/her/its feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:54 am 

You might like to take a look at this post of mine on the Fencing Mallet or 'Maul'.

It's a similar idea, but a little lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 am 

I saw this and thought, he's going to take Bear_B with him to swing the sledge hammer, I know I would too. He's a big boy. Than I realized you meant bear with me. Like just hang out for a second until I get this explained....

Okay, I'm goofy.

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:08 am 

I agree with what most people have said. If you have to bug out on foot, keeping the weight of your BOB as low as possible will be critical. Even if I could find 5-6 lbs of weight savings somewhere else in order to justify it, there are too many other things that would be more useful to carry. Like a shotgun, which does a pretty good job of breaching too.

Post subject: Word.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
there are too many other things that would be more useful to carry. Like a shotgun, which does a pretty good job of breaching too.

I should have thought of that. Damn. You sir, deserve a banana sticker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:39 am 

My nine-pounder rides in the truck. If I leave the truck, I leave the hammer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:00 am 

A sledge is quite possibly the stupidest use of weight in a BOB, besides just a brick of lead. At least the hammer is a brick on a stick.

For a vehicle, sure, if you want to. Still gotta be weight conscious, otherwise you'll be hauling around the entire hardware store, but not nearly as much as carrying it on your back.

For the house or bug in location, definitely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:13 am 

War Korpse wrote:
How practical would it be to include a sledgehammer in your inventory? Does anyone else already include it? Am I silly or otherwise delusional for thinking a sledgehammer would be useful?

Yes, No, Maybe...how big are you?

Quote:
Some possible uses for the sledgehammer (add more if you like?):

Effective breaching tool (for rescue operations and in the possible event you have to secure a place to bunker down in an emergency situation, not promoting anything illegal (not intentionally anyway)). Can get through doors (to include hinges and locks) more effectively than a crowbar, in my humble opinion.

But not as effective as a nice ole 12 gauge

Quote:
Hammering in the tent spikes people tend to include in their bags.

A sledge big enough to breach a door effectively will be much too big to handle a tent spike. Better off to get an axe with a hammer head as well.

Quote:
Reduces obstacles.

So does my BOV

Quote:
Although cumbersome, can be used for self defense.

If you are friggin huge and have unlimited energy. If you have ever spent a day hammering fence posts with a big sledge, you know what I mean.

Quote:
hank you for your time and consideration.

You are welcome.

Welcome to the forums.

It feels like an orgasm in the hand

So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:28 pm 

I think a sledge would be great as long as your not carrying it on foot. I just wish I could find all my wedges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm 

My .02 on self defense with a sledge. It would be a little slow but still extremely effective. I think using it in a full swing would only be worth while for a killing blow Conan style.

However, holding it in both hands , one near the head, one near the end and using short jabs with it would still do some serious damage. Basically hold it between you and bad guy and try to poke him with it. Little energy expense on your part and still a really good force multiplier.

For a BOB, too heavy with not enough uses. In a BOV, sure. I would rather use the sledge than a shotgun if I had time. Wouldn't want to waste the shotgun rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:53 pm 

Put a steel bumper on your BOV and you HAVE a sledgehammer :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:35 pm 

Now before everyone gets too pissy, I've seen footage of soldiers in Iraq using them for breaching. They were on foot if I recall correctly.

Granted, they were probably ferried into the situation in a vehicle, but they still had to schlepp that fucker around while they were looking for bad guys.

Just sayin'. It would be a hell of a work-out though.

I think they could be very beneficial in an urban setting, but like I said in the crowbar thread and I'll say it again here. I really can't see them being very useful in a woodsy setting outside of driving tent stakes. And to use a sledge to drive those would be pretty foolish.

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:18 pm 

For one, most SWAT teams include a Sledge and a Hooligan tool for door breaching, as well as a battering ram. Its an effective tool for certain jobs, but not a lot of jobs.

For using it in combat... even though its not something to rely on 100%, check out the first version of Bushido Blade for PS1. In case you dont remember the game, it was a fighting game that allowed for one-hit kills, as well as losing a limb due to a strike for the duration of the fight (ie: pretty realistic for a game). One weapon available was the sledge. If you were one of the bigger guys, you could wield it pretty well, but slow. VERY slow. If you managed to get a hit, you EFFED the other guy up. But it was hard. If you were one of the little guys (who typically had better speed) it was hilarious. When you swung and missed (most of the time) the momentum of the sledge was enough to knock you off balance, sometimes spinning you all the way around and to the ground. I think this would be more accurate for most people trying to use a sledge in actual hand-to-hand combat.

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ImfromtheGovt wrote:
For using it in combat... even though its not something to rely on 100%, check out the first version of Bushido Blade for PS1. In case you dont remember the game, it was a fighting game that allowed for one-hit kills, as well as losing a limb due to a strike for the duration of the fight (ie: pretty realistic for a game). One weapon available was the sledge. If you were one of the bigger guys, you could wield it pretty well, but slow. VERY slow. If you managed to get a hit, you EFFED the other guy up. But it was hard. If you were one of the little guys (who typically had better speed) it was hilarious. When you swung and missed (most of the time) the momentum of the sledge was enough to knock you off balance, sometimes spinning you all the way around and to the ground. I think this would be more accurate for most people trying to use a sledge in actual hand-to-hand combat.

Citing a dated video game to support/make a point in a discussion about using a sledgehammer as a weapon...really...you went there... :roll:

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 pm 

Nothing wrong with a sledge hammer in the truck... I keep one in the toolbox... right next to the splitting wedge. Same as most I guess, if I had to leave the truck, I'd leave the hammer. Honestly, I have the big hammer in the back, but I usually just use a 4-pound 'engineer hammer' as my go to sledge. It works like a champ for most stuff and I'm pretty sure I could knock out a deadbolt with it... just sayin'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:20 am 

nfa wrote:
ImfromtheGovt wrote:

Citing a dated video game to support/make a point in a discussion about using a sledgehammer as a weapon...really...you went there... :roll:

Hahaha yes I did. Only because it came to mind how horrible the sledge was in that game to try and use as a weapon, and because I figured most people here would know the game. :) C'mon NFA! This is a forum where Zombie Combat is openly discussed. Citing a video game for reference should be par for the course! :lol:

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Oh, poo. Who brought this one back?

It was like my second post here at ZS after I made an ass of myself on my introduction thread. :oops:

Someone could always... you know, delete this one? And my intro? Eh? Might be five bucks in it, yeah? Five sweet ass bucks.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 am 

Gugnir wrote:
Oh, poo. Who brought this one back?

It was like my second post here at ZS after I made an ass of myself on my introduction thread. :oops:

Someone could always... you know, delete this one? And my intro? Eh? Might be five bucks in it, yeah? Five sweet ass bucks.

:wink:

:lol:

You made me go and read your intro post!