Other prep sites?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

btlook1
Favorite Zombie Movies: some of them....

Other prep sites?

Post by btlook1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm

Seem like this forum is slowing down in the last year or two. Wondering what other sites everyone is looking at. Thanks, bt

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Other prep sites?

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:34 am

ZS is a member-driven forum and above all else; a community of participants. You've been a member for almost 11 years and you've got what, 13 posts under your belt? Can't imagine why this site is slowing down. :roll:

btlook1

Post by btlook1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:51 pm

You are correct however I have been here for a long time, Yes I do not post that often but used to be here at least a couple of times a week. Pretty sure I have more posts than 11 or whatever pretty sure back a few years ago when the infamous server change happened I had more and had even started a story in the fiction group but most of it got lost so I got frustrated and quit on it.
This used to be an active site but I'm curious what other sites people are heading to or are active on. Yes I prep some but not enough and yes I want to be prepared. I think their are quite a few like me who visit but don't post which is their right to do. Have a good day!!

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Some of the other sites I visit, prepping related, are experiencing issues with the current Great Purge happening in the big tech world. I'm rather glad ZS is still up and active.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Some of the other sites I visit, prepping related, are experiencing issues with the current Great Purge happening in the big tech world. I'm rather glad ZS is still up and active.
And working hard towards becoming as "purge proof" as possible. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm
woodsghost wrote:
arfcom got purged.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
arfcom got purged.
The guy who owns my server that I lease is a friend I've had for almost 20 years, a good ol' boy, gun-toting Nebraskan. If we're not breaking any important laws, he's good with us.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
arfcom got purged.
Back up now, fortunately. The domain name was served by GoDaddy, now with someone else.

Good thing I switched from GoDaddy years ago, after the SOPA fiasco.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Found this whilst surfing: NUKEMAP

Looks 8-)

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:02 pm

the r/Prepper on reddit is very active; but activity and quality are often inversely proportional unfortunately. Weekly repeat questions of "whats an overlooked prep?" "what should I put in my BOB?" and other low effort posts abound. The real hit has been the inpouring of people due to COVID mainstreaming prepping a bit, leading to more gobsmackingly basic questions and general strife as people who generally hate preppers try to become preppers themselves. Reddit can be very useful if you go to a community that specializes on a specific of facet of prepping rather than prepping itself; for instance homesteading subs, car subs, gun subs, backpacking subs etc etc. Few places tie them all together so well as ZS did in its prime, but those days are gone we musn't spend too much time living in the past.

BCUSA is a very active forum, but the prepping section is intentionally much quieter than the rest of the site. If you can couch prepping topics and questions in the context of general outdoorsmanship or homesteading you will likely have better luck.

I've mostly given up on the legacy prepping forums ages ago, and assume they are not aging well in the current climate, but I could very well be wrong.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:02 pm
the r/Prepper on reddit is very active; but activity and quality are often inversely proportional unfortunately. Weekly repeat questions of "whats an overlooked prep?" "what should I put in my BOB?" and other low effort posts abound. The real hit has been the inpouring of people due to COVID mainstreaming prepping a bit, leading to more gobsmackingly basic questions and general strife as people who generally hate preppers try to become preppers themselves. Reddit can be very useful if you go to a community that specializes on a specific of facet of prepping rather than prepping itself; for instance homesteading subs, car subs, gun subs, backpacking subs etc etc. Few places tie them all together so well as ZS did in its prime, but those days are gone we musn't spend too much time living in the past.

BCUSA is a very active forum, but the prepping section is intentionally much quieter than the rest of the site. If you can couch prepping topics and questions in the context of general outdoorsmanship or homesteading you will likely have better luck.

I've mostly given up on the legacy prepping forums ages ago, and assume they are not aging well in the current climate, but I could very well be wrong.
Thank you for your post. What were/are some of those legacy sites, in your opinion?

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am

btlook1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm
Seem like this forum is slowing down in the last year or two. Wondering what other sites everyone is looking at. Thanks, bt
This site is dedicated to responding to disasters, both real and imagined. For the past several months the only disaster I've seen has been man made (yes, I believe COVID 19 is man made, if not the virus then our over-the-top response to it), but since we aren't allowed to discuss politics it kind of leaves us counting our fingers and toes.

I understand the need for the rule and agree with it, but we're pretty much gagged. :crazy:

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:27 pm

HarlequinHal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am
btlook1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm
This site is dedicated to responding to disasters, both real and imagined. For the past several months the only disaster I've seen has been man made (yes, I believe COVID 19 is man made, if not the virus then our over-the-top response to it), but since we aren't allowed to discuss politics it kind of leaves us counting our fingers and toes.

I understand the need for the rule and agree with it, but we're pretty much gagged. :crazy:
I dont think of it as a gag, so much as we don't care about the cause, but the fall out. Who cares (In the grand scheme) who started the fire, we just need to deal with the aftermath.

The only other forum I used to visit regularly was frugal squirrels, but even they got on the political bandwagon and I dont even remember my logins. I really stopped visiting forums other than ZS for preparedness since I got tired of hearing that I'm not voting/worshiping/thinking/washingmylefttesticle/doing whatever in lock step with the rest. I appreciate the rules ZS has and enforces, even when I run afoul of them.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm
Thank you for your post. What were/are some of those legacy sites, in your opinion?
In my mind survivalistboards was always the alternative to ZS, and the on-going warning about where political discussion would take a forum. Alpha Rubicon and the survival blog were also hot sites when I first got into prepping I think, and I believe there were 2-3 other blogs I used to check but escape me at the moment. Kifaru forums was also a hopping spot back in the day and amenable to prepping discussions; HPG forums briefly carried that torch, but has since migrated to facebook where I will not tread.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm
In my mind survivalistboards was always the alternative to ZS, and the on-going warning about where political discussion would take a forum. Alpha Rubicon and the survival blog were also hot sites when I first got into prepping I think, and I believe there were 2-3 other blogs I used to check but escape me at the moment. Kifaru forums was also a hopping spot back in the day and amenable to prepping discussions; HPG forums briefly carried that torch, but has since migrated to facebook where I will not tread.
ty :D

btlook1

Post by btlook1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Appreciate the replies to the thread!! Will check out some of them when I have time.

wierdofan

Post by wierdofan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 am

very helpful

Albert

Post by Albert » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:58 pm

I used to follow the Kentucky Preppers Network Forum, but it's mostly dead now. It was pretty active 10 years ago or so, but the activity has fallen off.

JRR

Post by JRR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:36 pm

I used to really like survivalistboards, but it's turned into a politics only forum with over-zealous moderation. Counterintuitive if you ask me. I'd rather have a root canal than visit there now.

IAmOne
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Outside

Post by IAmOne » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:38 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm
Alpha Rubicon
It must be nigh on 20 years since I thought about Alpha. I used to live there. There was a weird little live chat thing that may/may not have been part of it but was certainly used by contributors, all I can recall now is it was green! I learned a lot on that chat, and not always 'good' things.

Wild times.

Edit - the chat thing may/may not have been called 'The Patriot's Canteen"
Insert here a quote, Hemingway or Orwell, maybe Atwood that will really, really irritate someone.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”