My wilderness medical kit....

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ColoradoMtnMan

My wilderness medical kit....

Post by ColoradoMtnMan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Morning gang,

Recently I did a video rundown of my medical kit for some students. I had just used a few packs of roller gauze and i hadn't replaced them so there are now four packs. The kit with meds has a 16 and 18 gauge angiocath, two 10mL saline flushes and some start sets. I think this kit is a good balance of life threat management (bleeding and breathing) and longer term care, including definitive wound closures. I spend a good percentage of my time in the outdoors teaching, in the woods, streams, deserts and granite cliffs of the Rocky Mountains, so what I have may be too much for you.

Notice how much here is duplicated and multi purpose. A Sam splint can be used as a cervical collar or to stabilize a rolled ankle. Ace wrap can immobilize and compress an ortho injury or provide pressure for a laceration. Micropore medical tape and gauze can improvise any bandages I need plus I can custom cut and tear the tape to use for wound approximation.

Im very new to video making so please take it easy on me.

And as I always say, I'm not even A doctor let alone YOUR doctor or medical director. If you don't know what something is don't bring it. When in doubt bring more tape gauze and SAM splints.

Right I also don't know-how to post YouTube links apparently.

Many thanks to 12_Gauge_Chimp for his technical know-how! The video seems to be "embedded" now.
Last edited by ColoradoMtnMan on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paramedic and Lead Medical Instructor @ Colorado Mountain Man Survival, LLC
Modern Survival - Bushcraft - Wilderness Medicine

7-Day Wilderness First Responder(WFR)
2-Day Wilderness First Aid(WFA)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: My wilderness medical kit....

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:28 pm

If you want to post a YouTube video in ZS, take out the 's' in "https" and it should show up properly.

I'm posting from my phone otherwise I'd try to fix the link for you myself.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Forget the med kit... what's in the chest rig?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

ColoradoMtnMan

Post by ColoradoMtnMan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 am

VXMerlinXV wrote:Forget the med kit... what's in the chest rig?

Pistola, ESEE Izula, Leatherman Surge, map/compass and a fire kit (exotac and a waterproof container with saturated cotton balls.
Paramedic and Lead Medical Instructor @ Colorado Mountain Man Survival, LLC
Modern Survival - Bushcraft - Wilderness Medicine

7-Day Wilderness First Responder(WFR)
2-Day Wilderness First Aid(WFA)

Return to “First Aid”