Need help with Hellcat using enhanced MOLLE straps

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Need help with Hellcat using enhanced MOLLE straps

Post by nyarlotep » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 am

I've had a couple ALICE packs for a while, and finally got MOLLE shoulder straps and a belt, with the intention of making a Hellcat pack, but the shoulder straps are very different from the ones in all the videos and tutorials I've seen. This is a picture of what I have.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A ... L1500_.jpg

Has anyone made this work? The center strap of the yoke is shorter and and narrower, and attaches from the bottom instead of the top. The ends of the shoulder strap anchor load lifter things (I'm not up on my terminology :) ) Have metal toggles which connect through the MOLLE frame fine, but are too big to fit in the metal rings on the ALICE pack and frame. I think I see how I can make additional straps to work with that, but I'd rather use what I have if possible. Now that I know there are different types of MOLLE shoulder straps, I may just get the proper type. I'd hoped to put a medium ALICE on the 1603 frame perhaps, then found that's basically impossible.

On a related note, does anyone know where to find the 1606 frame for less than like $40? IIRC, they used to be closer to $20, and now I see them going for closer to $60 many places. What's up with that? :)

Thanks in advance for any help
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

woodsghost

Re: Need help with Hellcat using enhanced MOLLE straps

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 pm

http://downeastinc.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

1606 AC for $35.

That is what I paid for mine, plus shipping.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:13 pm

I used the 1603 and cut it down to the 1606 size (I assume that may have been what people did originally) ...Just have to sand the edges good... Sabre saw cuts it well.

I think any Alice can be adapted to any frame, I cut the top pad thingy off of a large and left only enough to make "tabs" which a melted holes through to just basically tie it to the frame... Sewing straps to one is another option...

My shoulder straps must be the slightly different ones? They have wide center strap (the one that adjusts the rig up/down)... And I have never tried one on a metal frame, only the plastic... But there must be a way, if your handy. If you post pics of the points in question, I would certainly offer unsolicited advice! :lol:

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and ordered the 1606 frame. I may try modifying the 1603. I'll likely get the older style shoulder strap set also, to use with the other ALICE, and see which frame setup I prefer.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 am

For the load lifters I purchased "molleII shoulder attachment straps frame main pack" off of eBay. Olive Drab in color. I would give you the link but I am on my iPad.

As far as the shoulder straps, I did not end up using the upper horizontal pair of Velcro straps. The load lifters keep the top half of the shoulder straps tight against the Frame and Alice pad.

Hope this helps. I can take a picture after work if needed.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”