Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight - EDC, Tactical Excellence!

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BR101

Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight - EDC, Tactical Excellence!

Post by BR101 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Specifications:
• Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion) or two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium)
• Output mode / Runtime:
Turbo: 850 lumens / 1h 15min
High: 450 lumens / 2h 30min
Mid: 170 lumens / 7h 45min
Low: 45 lumens / 29h
Eco: 10 lumens / 140h
Strobe: 850 lumens
• Dimensions and Weight:
Length: 5.1" / 130mm
Diameter: 1.0" / 25.4mm
Head Diameter: 1.0" / 25.4mm
Weight: 3.1oz / 87gm
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Over heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
• Side switch in the head
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Whats in the box: Light, Sheath, Lanyard, Seals, and User Manual

Today I am reviewing the Fenix PD35 LED flashlight. The PD35 is a new addition to the outstanding PD series family. What sets this light apart from the others, well, it's very VERY bright for it's overall size. At only 5" long you get an astounding 850 lumens of light output!

To put that into perspective, my Fenix TK35 is about 6.5" long with a 2" diameter head and it's 820 lumens. As you can see by comparing the TK35 to this new PD35, you are getting a lot for the money in a compact package. And speaking of money, this light is just under $75 bucks. The price, parts, and overall functionality of this light really make it one of my favorite lights I've reviewed.

The PD35 flashlight uses a CREE XM-L U2 LED which has six different light modes. Fenix says it should last at least 50,000 hours although I wouldn't doubt if it last at least twice as long. I have been EDCing my Fenix PD20 for the last year and half and I use it almost everyday and it still works like a champ. The light has a large central hotspot with enough overspill to illuminate an entire room. The throw is not as good as my TK35, but with the more compact size, that is to be expected.

The switch interface is similar to my PD32, It is simple enough to use and for edc purposes it does a great job at toggling through the modes easily. Press and hold the switch and it goes right into strobe mode which works great in tactical situations.

The tail cap switch has a real nice rubbery texture feel to it. And unlike some other lights I've used this one does not have a stiff button. One thing I really like about it is that it's a momentary switch. If you're not sure what that means, you can power the light without fully pushing and clicking the button. It's a really nice feature in tactical situations. The only thing I think Fenix could have done differently on the tail switch is made it a millimeter or two shorter so the light could tail stand. Unfortunately the switch sticks out just enough that you cannot tail stand the light. While that may be a deal breaker for some people, it certainly was not for me.

The build quality on this Fenix PD35 LED flashlight is Top Notch. The body is constructed from a durable aircraft-grade aluminum with a hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish. The anodized finish is very well done. The knurling is well cut and provides for a good grip. There is anti-roll grooves machined into the head and tail cap of the light to keep the light from rolling all over the place.

Some attention to detail. The threading on the head and tail cap are square cut and function very smoothly. There is seals on the at the bottom of each end of the threads that allow this light to keep water resistant. The PD35 has a IPX-8 underwater rating which is 2 meters (6.5 ft).

As you can see by the real world demonstration above this light goes from very simplistic to very aggressive. It has a very hot center beam with a substantial amount of outer flood. Whether you are law enforcement or someone looking for a great EDC light, the Fenix PD35 will meet and exceed your expectations.

My final conclusion on the Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight: This flashlight is one of if not the best flashlights I have ever owned. Fenix has out done it's self again! I have became very spoiled to EDCing my Fenix PD20 but over the last week or so I've been carrying this light. If I where limited to having just one flashlight this would be the one.

I got mine from LA Police Gear and recommend you purchase yours there too. Their pricing is spot on and shipping and customer service is some of the best in the industry. If you use Promo Code LAPG you instantly save 5% off. Definitely get yourself one; you won't be disappointed !!

Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and our Youtube Channel. Links are below in the signature. :crazy:
Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
Everyday Deals - A place to check out everyday deals
Facebook - Twitter - Youtube Channel

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Re: Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight - EDC, Tactical Excellence!

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:15 pm

I like! While the price is a bit steep for many, it sounds like the quality and output are top notch.

This is one I will be sure to look into when I have the means!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Turbo: 850 lumens / 1h 15min
Over heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
I bet the thermal protection steps down the 850 long before the hour is up? Still 850 lumens is impressive.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:28 pm

I am in the market for a new light for work . This seems like a great option . Thanks for the review .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:07 am

Nice review. One of the lights I was considering together with the TK22.
Though I'm not a fan of the side switch.

I'm more of a full tailcap guy which is why I EDC either my Fenix P2D-CE or my LD10.

I'm just waiting for the Klarus XT-11 820 lumen upgrade to get to my supplier here. Interchangeable strike bezel and filters. Dual tailcap switch.
klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=63&lge=en

For those that like a magnetic ring, the 930 & 960 lumens Nitecore SRT6 or SRT7 are good choices as well. The SRT7 has multi-color LEDs.
SRT6: http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SRT7: http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am

I use this light as my edc. It goes above and beyond on everything I need it for and have received many compliments from my clients for its use (realtor using it to light up non-powered houses). Get it off of Amazon or find it on sale. It is priced above what I wanted to spend for a light when my PD30 original gave up the ghost, but I have yet to regret its purchase.

The only complaint I think I might have is that the strobe function was easy to initiate on my old pd30 then this current one. (Using the tail cap vs. the side button, As I could start the light in strobe)

But a major positive is that switching between light powers is SIGNIFICANTLY easier on this new versions. I definitely recommend getting this light if you are looking for a new one.
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Ive discounted all the Fenix lights in this series because of the side switch. It doesnt look durable but does look like I'd hit it on shit all the time. Can it be locked out?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm

crypto wrote:Ive discounted all the Fenix lights in this series because of the side switch. It doesnt look durable but does look like I'd hit it on shit all the time. Can it be locked out?
Even if the side switch failed wouldn't the tail switch still work? If the threads are anodized it should be able to be locked out.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Any chance of getting pics and info on the sheath ?
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

cheech_sp

Post by cheech_sp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:39 am

crypto wrote:Ive discounted all the Fenix lights in this series because of the side switch. It doesnt look durable but does look like I'd hit it on shit all the time. Can it be locked out?
I EDC an LD12, pushing the side button while the light is off does nothing. So it won't change your mode accidentally. If I could change one thing with my light, I would add the ability to tailstand.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 pm

cheech_sp wrote:
I EDC an LD12, pushing the side button while the light is off does nothing. So it won't change your mode accidentally. If I could change one thing with my light, I would add the ability to tailstand.
Fenix gave that up with the L2D/L1D line. Darn shame.

next

Post by next » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:54 am

Good review, thanks :clap:

Return to “Other Gear”