It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFA's Mock Bug Out
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I suggested a Mock Bug Out (MBO) on New Year's Day, and have been slowly getting ready for it ever since. I went out yesterday, during what was one of the grossest 28 hour period (roughly 10am 4/11 to 2pm on 4/12) so far this spring...it rained a ton, snowed and hailed and sleeted a bit, and danced around the freezing point the whole time...this seemed a perfect time to test out my BOB

Here's a Google Map of my MBO route...I decided on a less frequented route that was somewhat longer, so I drove part of the way, and then walked the last few miles to my MBO site...I didn't see a soul coming or going (the shitty weather may have helped, but I was keeping off the beaten path...

My wife couldn't believe that I was going to live out of my BOB-pack, so she took a pseudo action picture before I headed out...to try and keep it realistic, I wore my somewhat worn out raincoat (not the heavy-duty one I wear for camping) and cotton socks inside of my boots...knowing that I'd need to switch these out somewhere along the way...

I headed out with my cell phone and EDC keyring...

I skied out to drop off 2 caches of stuff in March...the first one hidden using a compass and this marker along the traintracks...

Nothing tricky...about 150 feet from the marker on a bearing of 70 degrees magnetic...at the juncture of a dead tree and a rock...

I took the batteries, half a coke topped up with bourbon, and left the other stuff to retrieve further into the spring...the coke seemed fine, despite having frozen and thawed numerous times...

It was a lovely walk out to Rat Pond, with bare ground in some place, and thigh-deep snow in others...

Upon arriving at Rat Pond, I saw that I would be unable to do the dunk test of my BOB, since the ice-cover was still total...it didn't matter much, since the walk in had soaked my BOB as thoroughly as a dunk would have...

I used a tiny scrap of tyvek as a multi-purpose tarp-ita...it worked to cover my BOB from further downpours as I set up camp, I used it as a seat while taking a reading break...

I set up camp, hauled and chopped wood, sat down to read while it poured for awhile, and then got really cold (I hadn't changed out of my wet clothes yet, since getting stuff ready just made them all wetter...so I made some hot cocoa using my coffee-can stove...

I found that once I got it going, I could feed the tiny pieces of wood into the ventilation slots at the top without having to remove the pot...this morning I switched to bark chips off of the side of a huge old pine tree...everything else was soaked from hard rain all night...

I fell in love with my Gerber Ax during this trip...it rocks for cutting and chopping wood...

...especially given the little saw hidden in the handle...

Every stick of wood in the forest was soaked, but I was able to find some standing and/or hung up dead trees that fell to the saw's surprisingly effective bite...I had no problem quickly cutting through wood up to 4" using the saw, and limbing/splitting/fuzzing sticks with the ax...

I worked through the D&D-esque nerd issues and actually brought a d-12 along with me, and rolled for 3 misadventures during my MBO...I spilled a liter of water, put one of my tinder sources into storage, and lost one of my knives...since I had redundant supplies of everything, this wasn't a serious hassle...

I hung up my tyvek bivy first, so I could get stuff out of the rain, then I chopped a body-sized pile of balsam spruce boughs for me to sleep on...the boughs worked nicely at getting me off of the wet ground, smelled nice, and were nicely cushy...I slept in lightweight fleece bag, inside an emergency foil sack, inside my tyvek bivy...

During a lull in the rain/snow/sleet, I felt the call of nature, and thought that I would include a brief tutorial on shitting in the woods NFA-style...you need a $2 poop-trowel, a lighter, (I use) Viva paper towels for toilet paper or wipes or camp-towels (they're strong, soft, and absorbent)...

Dig a trench/pit 6" deep...I had to break through some lingering frost in the ground, about 4" down...leave the dirt/sand from the hole in a different spot from the ground-level duff...

When you've finished pooping/wiping, light the paper in the pit, and let it burn until it goes out on it's own...this prevents animals digging it up and spreading the "white flags" you often see around campgrounds...

Throw dirt/sand from the hole on top of the poop, and then spread the ground level duff and leaves and needles...if you do it right, nobody should be able to find the spot after you leave...

Once it got dark and a little colder, I started a fire, getting things going with a hunk of trioxane (I found that I preferred vaseline-soaked cotton balls for the coffee can stove, and trioxane for drying out the tinder for my campfire)...I had tightened the tyvek tarp during a lull in the rain, and now it sounded like a drum when raindrops hit it from the trees overhead...

Once it got fully dark, I headed out with my GPS in hand to find the cache I had placed in March...pipe & tobacco, cocoa mix, and peppermint schnapps...I had already enjoyed some of the bourbon and coke from the other cache, so I decided to save the cocoa and schnapps for morning (wtf, it's the end of the world, I can drink with breakfast)...but I did enjoy a pipe of smoke before turning in for the night...

I hung my food in "bear-bag" style, up and out from the tree...it worked perfectly except for the strange sphere you can see in the picture above, which tried to attack my leftovers...

The walk out was cold and foggy...a white wall in front and behind me that kept me boxed in, and kept everything very quiet...

Gear Assessment

All of my gear worked very well under tough weather conditions. I'll reference stuff in order of the pictures in my BOB thread...

My sleeping/shelter gear kept me warm and dry. I like the tarp idea, but will be upgrading to a better tarp (better color and hopefully less noisy...when it started raining hard in the middle of the night, it sounded like a drumroll)...the fleece bag inside layer worked great, and I was warm (even without all of my layers)...my inner bivy worked great, although there was significant moisture condensed on it in the morning...the outermost bivy (homemade of tyvek) was the pleasant surprise, it was large enough to move around in easily, and even store some of my gear in...

I had adequate clothing, although I'll upgrade my outer layer as regards waterproofness...

Compass and GPS worked well, and the nails were useful (if not necessary) in setting the tarp...

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste (or lack thereof) of the Aquamira tabs...much better than iodine tabs...

I wore the Waldies at night before bed (having put on dry socks), and in the morning they were easy to slide into to go pee and find some firewood...I loved the ax/saw combo, and will leave the machete at home next time...

I loved the nested combination of the coffee can stove and my new cook-pot...

It was fun and shitty and cool and I'll be doing it again sometime this summer, and again in the winter...

I'll be posting a couple of videos of the MBO on my Zombie Blog

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:44 pm 

Strong work man.

I like the supply cache idea. Though that wouldn't work too well around here.

I think I'll be taking pictures during the Ohio Group BOB Shakedown Next weekend.

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:18 pm 

Great job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:18 pm 

I really love the D&D style mishaps idea. It's about as close as you can get to simulating Murphy without actually inviting him.

LOL@ white flags...I always thought people were just jerks and didn't clean up their site well enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 pm 

Nice caches.

And I really like the looks of that hatchet. I've got some old hatchet my dad had, and a $20 gerber saw, but to have them both in the same thing to save space would be pretty nifty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:55 pm 

I love the D&D-style random misadventures table.

Kudos for giving some work to the often neglected d12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:00 am 

YAY NFA! Looks like it was fun as well as a good learning experience.

D12 FTL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:25 am 

Maybe a dumb question-

Any concerns with the Tyvek shelter being that close to the fire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 am 

TheFreakinBear wrote:
D12 FTL!

Come over here for a second, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Mr. Greataxe. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not a dumb question at all TravisM.1...

When I was lying under the tarp listening to the rain and hail bounce off of it, I read the manufacturer's notes, which lists the melting temperature of tyvek as 275F...I think that it would about as susceptible to melting as fleece or nylon, which have similar melting points...I set up the fire as close to the tarp as I did (about 10 feet) only because there was no wind (and I kept the fire pretty small), but even so I was running a minor risk of catching a spark and getting a hole in the tarp or bivy...all of my camping fleece has tiny holes in it from campfire incidents over the years...it still works, but is more "breathable"...

Another thing to add is that I took all of the rust and corrosion prone items out of my BOB this morning, and gave them all a rub-down with an old pair of boxers and some rem-oil...I'll let everything dry out for a few days, and then re-supply and repack the BOB (I hope no BOB-worthy disaster happens in the next few days)...

A weird phenomenon that I noticed was my awareness of the beasts around me when under a tarp as opposed to inside a tent...I saw and heard lots of wildlife while I was out (a bald eagle caught some small beastie on the ice of Rat Pond and ate it on a tree nearby, an owl hooted from 6pm on in the woods not far from me, a Great Blue Heron did an overflight of the pond looking for open water)...and during the night, there was a pack of coyotes on the other side of the pond engaged in talking and yelling and laughing and screaming and yodeling to each other...I found myself much more aware of it than I would have been if I was in a tent, event though a tent doesn't really offer much more protection from beasts or zombies than a tarp does...

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 am 

Were you concerned? I know that fire tends to keep most of the beasties away, but that doesn't mean that they won't try for you if they're hungry.

edit: I meant if you knew things to handle them, not like "oooh, were you scaaaaared?" Me, my knees would be knocking, partly cause my knowlege of how to not look like a food source is nil.

Last edited by LilDaemon on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:08 am 

quazi wrote:
TheFreakinBear wrote:
D12 FTL!

Come over here for a second, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Mr. Greataxe. :twisted:

Speaking of a greataxe NFA, were you ever thinking to yourself, "I need a bigger axe" or was yours sufficient. I've got an axe about the same size as yours although a different brand and there is no saw in the handle.

Now, Gunny has a really small camp axe. It's a Gerber I believe and it's probably 7" tall. In order to really do a lot with it you've gotta pretty much hack as hard as you can to really do anything if you were to be cutting branches or the like.

How did yours hold up compared to a larger or smaller axe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:42 am 

nfa wrote:
A weird phenomenon that I noticed was my awareness of the beasts around me when under a tarp as opposed to inside a tent...I saw and heard lots of wildlife while I was out (a bald eagle caught some small beastie on the ice of Rat Pond and ate it on a tree nearby, an owl hooted from 6pm on in the woods not far from me, a Great Blue Heron did an overflight of the pond looking for open water)...and during the night, there was a pack of coyotes on the other side of the pond engaged in talking and yelling and laughing and screaming and yodeling to each other...I found myself much more aware of it than I would have been if I was in a tent, event though a tent doesn't really offer much more protection from beasts or zombies than a tarp does...nfa

My normal shelter when short trips (3-7 days) is a tarp lean-to like the one in your pictures, and when I talk about the stuff that goes on at night in and around camp my friends that use tents look at me like I was eating the wrong mushrooms. They couldn’t believe there was so much activity until I talked them into using a tarp shelter one night. The next night they went back to their tents bitching because they didn’t get any sleep. Your right about the tent not providing any extra protection (except from bugs) but the walls do give some that illusion of protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

LilDaemon wrote:
Were you concerned? I know that fire tends to keep most of the beasties away, but that doesn't mean that they won't try for you if they're hungry.

I put a log on the fire as I was going to bed (it was extinguished in about 2 minutes when the rain picked up)...but the noise from the rain on the tarp was funny enough to probably keep all beasties away...my assumption is that unless I'm dead, most carnivores in my neck of the woods would rather eat smaller stuff, and wouldn't risk fucking with me...I did have a recurring image of waking up to something licking/biting my hand sticking out of the bivy though...

TheFreakinBear wrote:
Speaking of a greataxe NFA, were you ever thinking to yourself, "I need a bigger axe" or was yours sufficient. I've got an axe about the same size as yours although a different brand and there is no saw in the handle.

Now, Gunny has a really small camp axe. It's a Gerber I believe and it's probably 7" tall. In order to really do a lot with it you've gotta pretty much hack as hard as you can to really do anything if you were to be cutting branches or the like.

How did yours hold up compared to a larger or smaller axe?

For bugging out, this ax and saw combo was more than sufficient...it could handle the chopping and limbing and making into firewood of dead trees up to about 4" in diameter without any problem...

For longer term camping, or for work at home, I like a bigger ax or saw...

nfa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:59 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Awesome write up, and I love the d12 table!
Looks like a great time.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

/loads dice for guaranteed consecutive natural twelves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:37 pm 

Very cool and very thorough write up, thanks for sharing. I need to learn to use a compass better then North, South, East and West...

You did a great job with the caches.

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,
Three you slowly spread the net,
And four you catch the man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:10 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

quazi wrote:
I love the D&D-style random misadventures table.

Kudos for giving some work to the often neglected d12.

Your D12 does not cry alone like mine.

Good work NFA. I was not able to get out this weekend but I will by month's end. I do agree that any wooded area type hiking/camping needs an axe more than a machete. After buying a machete/kukri last year, the only real use I've had for it is doing volunteer clean-ups in the National Forest - blackberry bushes beware.

Good tip on burning TP before burying. Real good tip and thanks (this, also an issue when I do volunteer clean-ups in the woods).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:20 pm 

Good show nfa, Good show. Hind sight shows that I could have gone, had my boss provided me with a schedule. That said, had I attended, that rain would have driven me right batty, with it pounding on the tarp. I see you had a good time. Did you have any problems with your gear pertaining to use in the dismal rain conditions?

Kevin

Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Famine wrote:
Did you have any problems with your gear pertaining to use in the dismal rain conditions?

The outerwear that I packed in my BOB was a little underpowered for the intensity and duration of precipitation that I enjoyed during the MBO...I may be upgrading my outermost layer...everything else worked wonderfully...I might also add a bit more tinder in case of 3 days of abysmal weather...

nfa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm 

Awesome.

:D

Great write up as well.

One thing I hate about living in the city is that I can't just bop out my front door and rough it and test my gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:25 pm 

Outstanding job

The D&D scenario's is top notch training. I noticed your cache's all seem to have booze, is that another take on the carrot and stick method of getting things done. Doesnt your wife get ideas you may be at some strip club/poker game rather than sleeping in the woods in the rain in cold temps? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:56 pm 

Wow, NFA found a ghost orb out in the woods.

Good job, Bro. The D12 thing is brilliant, who came up with it?

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:
Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

L1Z4RD wrote:
Good job, Bro. The D12 thing is brilliant, who came up with it?

It grew out of a discussion in the MBO thread started by Ant69

nfa