Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/us/man-s ... index.html

This is why it's important to have backup gear and contingency survival plans. If you think that in a stressful situation all your gear's going to work perfectly and you'll make all the right decisions, you're in for a world of hurt. Expect things to go wrong.

Image

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1988
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Is that one of those prefab sheds, who new they were made from non fire resistant plastic?
Why do they need so much bracing and internal support on an arch, maybe trade the support costs for a less flammable and more solid roofing material.
Was there a second building that burned?


Image
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16956
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Being a tropical sea level creature I cannot even imagine the conditions and all of the risks here. That said cold and conditions like these clearly are quickly life threatening and hazardous. I do however have an office in Gillette, WY and go there in the winter for work. They get little snow but -5F & 20 knots of wind is not unusual. I have great respect for the dangers of wind chill there. Still the risks I see in Gillette. WY are a magnitude less than this guy faced.

For the record I do not consider plastic a proper building material in the mild climate of South LA/MS. I will withhold comment other than to go back to the old axiom of have a Plan A AND a Plan B.

His Plan B seemed to be rely on luck & skill.

BTW I feel very sorry for his dog. It had no choice.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:53 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm
Being a tropical sea level creature I cannot even imagine the conditions and all of the risks here. That said cold and conditions like these clearly are quickly life threatening and hazardous. I do however have an office in Gillette, WY and go there in the winter for work. They get little snow but -5F & 20 knots of wind is not unusual. I have great respect for the dangers of wind chill there. Still the risks I see in Gillette. WY are a magnitude less than this guy faced.

For the record I do not consider plastic a proper building material in the mild climate of South LA/MS. I will withhold comment other than to go back to the old axiom of have a Plan A AND a Plan B.

His no Plan B seemed to be rely on luck & skill.

BTW I feel very sorry for his dog. It had no choice.
This guy didn't even have a decent Plan A, forget Plan B. His only comms was "a crappy cell phone"? The walls and roof were nothing more than plastic tarps and he considered that to be sufficient? He did not know his surrounding area well enough to know what might be safe to walk on? This guy was a lucky idiot, period.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:53 pm
raptor wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm
Being a tropical sea level creature I cannot even imagine the conditions and all of the risks here. That said cold and conditions like these clearly are quickly life threatening and hazardous. I do however have an office in Gillette, WY and go there in the winter for work. They get little snow but -5F & 20 knots of wind is not unusual. I have great respect for the dangers of wind chill there. Still the risks I see in Gillette. WY are a magnitude less than this guy faced.

For the record I do not consider plastic a proper building material in the mild climate of South LA/MS. I will withhold comment other than to go back to the old axiom of have a Plan A AND a Plan B.

His no Plan B seemed to be rely on luck & skill.

BTW I feel very sorry for his dog. It had no choice.
This guy didn't even have a decent Plan A, forget Plan B. His only comms was "a crappy cell phone"? The walls and roof were nothing more than plastic tarps and he considered that to be sufficient? He did not know his surrounding area well enough to know what might be safe to walk on? This guy was a lucky idiot, period.
I am sorry to hear this happened but really, a plastic roof???

This guy's luck was incredible. He had some level of skill, but he luck to be alive.

No reliable comms. I can't believe that.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8088
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:36 pm

The Moon may be a harsh mistress, but Alaska weather is lethal.

We call this kind of folks "end of the roaders' - typically wind up going nuts and killing others before they off them selves.

In this case, the dumb ass falls into the realm of idiots like Christopher Johnson McCandless - the dead bus guy.

Happily for him, I only had to pay for his rescue and not his funeral....as happens every summer on the Stampede Trail.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Sometimes I really think we need a Darwin Award thread.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm
Sometimes I really think we need a Darwin Award thread.
If you'll pardon the pun, it's been done to death on too many sites already. We need our own award, something for surviving against the odds and without proper preparation. I'm thinking of a figure of a zed made of copper that's gone green, chained to an appropriately sized beat-up wooden pallet, maybe garnished with barbed wire or razor wire to denote second and third awards. We can call it the Zeddy McZedface.

Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

boskone
* * *
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am
Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Maybe just some zombie-head shaped challenge coins? They could have some text like "Lucky dumbass of the year" at the top, and the year at the bottom.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 6754
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am
NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am
Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Maybe just some zombie-head shaped challenge coins? They could have some text like "Lucky dumbass of the year" at the top, and the year at the bottom.
We may want to do something like a "Lucky dumbass of the month" award too.

Make the "Lucky Dumbass of the year" the big end of the year awards show like the Oscars or the Golden Globes and hand out the Zeddy McZedfaces there.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16956
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am
NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am
Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Maybe just some zombie-head shaped challenge coins? They could have some text like "Lucky dumbass of the year" at the top, and the year at the bottom.
We may want to do something like a "Lucky dumbass of the month" award too.

Make the "Lucky Dumbass of the year" the big end of the year awards show like the Oscars or the Golden Globes and hand out the Zeddy McZedfaces there.
Actually I like the thought of a Lucky Dumbass thread. :clap:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 6754
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm

A "Lucky Dumbass" thread would work for me as well, Raptor. :lol:

We could use it as a sort of 'what not to do in *insert situation type* ' lesson thread.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm
A "Lucky Dumbass" thread would work for me as well, Raptor. :lol:

We could use it as a sort of 'what not to do in *insert situation type* ' lesson thread.
That's a great idea! Might I propose this as the first example?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=122939

boskone
* * *
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm
A "Lucky Dumbass" thread would work for me as well, Raptor. :lol:

We could use it as a sort of 'what not to do in *insert situation type* ' lesson thread.
I think you have a point, that a body of "how not to survive" info might be useful. Maybe a "Survival by accident" forum, so there's a direct and easy correlation between "person did X" and "here's what person should have done"?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm
A "Lucky Dumbass" thread would work for me as well, Raptor. :lol:

We could use it as a sort of 'what not to do in *insert situation type* ' lesson thread.
That's a great idea! Might I propose this as the first example?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=122939
Excellent choice, my good man.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 6754
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm
A "Lucky Dumbass" thread would work for me as well, Raptor. :lol:

We could use it as a sort of 'what not to do in *insert situation type* ' lesson thread.
I think you have a point, that a body of "how not to survive" info might be useful. Maybe a "Survival by accident" forum, so there's a direct and easy correlation between "person did X" and "here's what person should have done"?
Good idea, Boskone.

Even if it's just a stickied thread in this sub forum, I think it still may be of help.

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am
NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am
Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Maybe just some zombie-head shaped challenge coins? They could have some text like "Lucky dumbass of the year" at the top, and the year at the bottom.
You'd only need one. I have too much junk kicking around already so you can just give me the same one every year. Can we please leave the media out of it though? It's fun to tell the stories myself, but not so fun for everyone immediately recognizing me as a dumbass.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 am
boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am
NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 am
Do the presentations in public with the press and media invited (open bar will get them there the first few times we award it). Get ZS mentioned on the evening news a few times and we'd probably pick up quite a few new members.
Maybe just some zombie-head shaped challenge coins? They could have some text like "Lucky dumbass of the year" at the top, and the year at the bottom.
You'd only need one. I have too much junk kicking around already so you can just give me the same one every year. Can we please leave the media out of it though? It's fun to tell the stories myself, but not so fun for everyone immediately recognizing me as a dumbass.
If we leave the media out of it then what's your plan for attracting corporate sponsorship? :? :crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am
If we leave the media out of it then what's your plan for attracting corporate sponsorship? :? :crazy:
My current corporate sponsor will keep sponsoring me on an hourly basis so long as i keep showing up regularly and working smart.

Given the heavy emphasis on safety in my current industry, media coverage would likely lose me my current sponsor.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16956
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm


00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Utah man survives for three weeks in Alaskan wilderness

Post by 00dlez » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 pm

Came to late to toss out my own suggestion... Zed Man Walking
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”