Will Prepping Get a Second Wind in 2020?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Will Prepping Get a Second Wind in 2020?

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:12 pm

It seems like prepper fatigue, or maybe a degree of complacency, set in after the last election. Now it seems like events in Virginia, among other things, are giving new impetus to existing preppers, and causing more newbies to take stock of their ability to ride out a storm. Anecdotally, I'm hearing more people talking about 2020 with a sense of anxiety, though as far as I can tell that hasn't translated into most of them actually taking concrete action to be more prepared/resilient. Would like to hear other ZH posters' thoughts and observations on the matter, especially newbies to the prepping scene.

woodsghost

Re: Will Prepping Get a Second Wind in 2020?

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Just a quick response:

I think some people relaxed after the last US election. Others got started around that time. North Korea was looking bad. Some other issues had people concerned.

Prepping can be a way of coping with mental illness (anxiety, stress, dissociation, etc), and that is not a good reason to prep. But prepping can be another form of insurance, and that, I think, is wise. One's life should not be run by fear, but by joy.

I'm striving at this time to live focused on my family. I have issues which concern me, but I'm trying not to let them rule me. Some days my concerns get the best of me.

I think the future will continue to have reasons to prep. But I think the most successful will have a good attitude towards prepping. I expect prepping to continue to ebb and flow.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I think some small pockets of people will see a resurgence of prepping, and thanks to "internet silos," they'll think it's a larger phenomena than it is. I'm confident there won't be a true widespread resurgence unless there's a significant economic crash.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:05 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:36 pm
I think some small pockets of people will see a resurgence of prepping, and thanks to "internet silos," they'll think it's a larger phenomena than it is. I'm confident there won't be a true widespread resurgence unless there's a significant economic crash.
I'd agree with "true, widespread part. I've been following the VA thing, and I'm still surprised at all the hype that gets invented out of thin air by people on this one Google-thing. I did find a couple of channels that were debunking the worst of it, with notes and references. Naming names, whole ‭8.307692307692308‬ meters.

When it comes to facts, the internet is worse than Wonder bread is for nutrition.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Woodsghost said: Prepping can be a way of coping with mental illness (anxiety, stress, dissociation, etc), and that is not a good reason to prep. But prepping can be another form of insurance, and that, I think, is wise. One's life should not be run by fear, but by joy.
Anxiety and stress can be completely rational responses to the current uncertainties and threats we face. I think it's probably more the case that people are reacting to a full spectrum of possible threats or dangers by making reasonable, prudent preparations, within their modest means, to mitigate the risk. At least that's the case with most of the very few preppers I know personally. I would call them concerned and fearful, but do not think they are mentally ill. And under the circumstances, joy might be in short supply. I'm largely unplugged from the prepper movement, such as it is, so have no idea if it's growing, shrinking, or staying about the same. Anecdotally, some of my work colleagues have expressed concerns about what's happening in Virginia with the 2A issues, but no one seems unduly alarmed or is taking steps (as far as I know) to get more prepared. I think concerns about a Civil War 2 are overblown, as I don't know a single person, regardless of political affiliation, who wants any part of such a conflict, despite the bombast and fear-mongering from Keyboard Commandos.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:30 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:12 pm
Now it seems like events in Virginia, among other things, are giving new impetus to existing preppers, and causing more newbies to take stock of their ability to ride out a storm.
There have been no disasters in Virginia, natural or otherwise, in the last three months.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 am

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:36 pm
Prepping can be a way of coping with mental illness (anxiety, stress, dissociation, etc), and that is not a good reason to prep. But prepping can be another form of insurance, and that, I think, is wise. One's life should not be run by fear, but by joy.
Money may not bring happiness, but the lack of money sure causes unhappiness, anxiety, and magnifies the symptoms of many mental illnesses. I think prepping can be taken too far as a coping mechanism, or it can be an effective part of a comprehensive plan to help someone feel safe and stable.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:23 am

I think it will flow... Then ebb.... Then flow...

Elections are always scary for half the population. I dunno if it will hit the "hey day" of Doomsday preppers and Walking Dead popularity of the 2010's... But I bet there will be some small spikes of interest.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:51 pm

I think if we had a forum title other than "zombie" we'd be seeing a lot more involvement on here about prepping. Most of the other prepping forums are either too religious or just full of people that think they know everything about the outdoors but really don't. Or sites that are solely dedicated to outdoor pursuits and not prepping.

I think a lot of this forums popularity came from the Walking Dead etc. etc. I guess it's up to us to make it different.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:00 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:51 pm
I think if we had a forum title other than "zombie" we'd be seeing a lot more involvement on here about prepping. Most of the other prepping forums are either too religious or just full of people that think they know everything about the outdoors but really don't. Or sites that are solely dedicated to outdoor pursuits and not prepping.

I think a lot of this forums popularity came from the Walking Dead etc. etc. I guess it's up to us to make it different.
Since you brought it up, I do think we should change the name.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:00 pm
moab wrote:

I could get behind that. I think we should have a subtitle.

Like "the original Zombie Squad". So really it just makes it more searchable.

The new title will need pretty universal and timeless. Tough to do...

And we'd need to make sure the old members can still find their way back if the address changes.

Actually... I dunno how easy or complicated it is to do
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 pm
woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:

And we'd need to make sure the old members can still find their way back if the address changes.

Can't they just keep this domain and a new one. And just forward the original domain to the new one?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 am

moab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:

Can't they just keep this domain and a new one. And just forward the original domain to the new one?
I would think... but I also know nothing about interweb set up

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:31 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 am
moab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I would think... but I also know nothing about interweb set up
They could; it'd be easy. Webpages shouldn't be too hard, if they ever get rebuilt. I couldn't find a way--despite a solid 15 seconds of searching--to change the phpBB header based on referring domain.

Coming up with a good name, convincing a mod to kick it upstairs, and convincing the staff of this little asylum it's a useful idea might be harder.

If y'all are serious about a less, er, "loaded" name a new thread might be in order.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:34 am

Moab said: I think if we had a forum title other than "zombie" we'd be seeing a lot more involvement on here about prepping.
I'm just fine with the current name. It's tongue in check, which I think attracts a different set of people than the often grim and politically dogmatic bunch that gravitate toward most prepper sites.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:56 am

I can start a new thread. If anyone else wants me too.

We shouldn't give up the word Zombie. Like someone mentioned a subtitle or something like that in the name. Or simply use both site names. The original forwarding to the new named site.

It would be refreshing to here from the owners - just one time - and see what their intentions are with the forum. It seems all but abandoned at this point. From an owners perspective.

I'd be more than willing to donate some time and money to this. As I'm sure others would be too.

P.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:12 pm

"What is in a name? A rose is still a rose..."

Zombie Squad has both a history and at least in the past, a good rep for solid prepping data. Not so much of late.

To change the name would be to lose that. I hang out on several boards. I visit here now. So, as noted earlier, the ebb and flow has this site at full ebb tide and still dropping.

My nickels worth of input FWIW.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:19 pm

TacAir wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:12 pm
"What is in a name? A rose is still a rose..."

Zombie Squad has both a history and at least in the past, a good rep for solid prepping data. Not so much of late.

To change the name would be to lose that. I hang out on several boards. I visit here now. So, as noted earlier, the ebb and flow has this site at full ebb tide and still dropping.

My nickels worth of input FWIW.
I think that's our fear. That it's gonna die a slow death. Because of a name that harkened back to the days of a Zombie movie and tv series bloat.

In all honesty, we could keep the name and continue to improve if it had owners that weren't completely absentee. I have no idea who they are. And I've been on here 8 or 9 years? I'd much prefer present owners to a name change.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:58 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:19 pm
I'd much prefer present owners to a name change.
+1

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Yeah..... Y'all right.

I can't think of anything fun and witty better than Zombie Squad. Plus, the ZS logo is badass

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm

It'll all be worth it someday if someone, anyone, recognizes the Zombie Squad logo and vehicle number on my motorcycle.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 pm

As I post this, the board reports
There are 2 registered users and 1 hidden user online
There are 177 guest users online • Display guests

on another board, prepping related, I see this :
Currently Active Users: 2024 (219 members and 1805 guests)
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I think the biggest hurdle this board has is the front main page having been shut down for so long.

Being smaller is not necessarily bad. We tend to push out a lot of trash talkers that thrive on some other boards I've seen. It's why this is the only one I'm still active on. It was by far the best quality one that I found back then (it's been years since I looked at other ones now).
--Raptor

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:04 pm

I love the name of this site and I find the information on this site some of the best. I follow this site regularly and reddit r/preppers pretty regularly. I'm mostly lurking on here and not logged in. I still find that a lot of google searches I make include information from here.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”