Ram 1500 or Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Ram 1500 or Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by Ghostdog914 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab short bed. 5.7, AWD, off road package, tow package, and 263k miles. Runs good, gets awful mileage, needing some basic repair (ball joints, heater core, Ujoints). I don’t use it as a hauler much and it’s my daily driver for a 20-25 mile round trip to work.

There is a guy wanting to trade me a clean 98 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 auto 4x4 with 163k miles and no history of overheating. I’m tempted to trade but wanted some opinions from people in the know. I do have some property I go to occasionally that can be a little rugged with hills, trees, rocks, etc.

I’m not sure if I want to give up potential hauling capability for something more nimble and more trail ready. Anyone have any other pros or cons?

Stercutus

Re: Ram 1500 or Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

If the Cherokee is stock or mostly stock I'm not sure it will be more trail ready. All the repairs on the Ram are pretty simple and you can do them yourself although you may need to borrow some tools for the ball joints (some stores will lend for free). The only thing might even be costly will be the heater core.

However at 263K miles the Ram is getting near the end of it's service life on the engine and the transmission. Either one could die at any moment. Depending upon how the Jeep was treated you should be able to get another 50-100K out of both.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm

If you're not hauling, you don't need a truck
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:58 pm

JEEP. Just empty every pocket.

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Ball joints are a pain but I’ve done them before. I know the Dodge automatics are kind of junk and I figure that’s my weak link. The 5.7 is pretty quiet for the mileage and still feels strong.

The Jeep would just get a three inch spacer lift and new tires for now. I know 4.0s are reliable as long as they don’t get hot because the pre 98s were prone to cracking.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Well I am not a big fan of Chrysler products so I would say no to both, but since you seem to like them I will say a few things about the Jeep. I had a 2004 Grand Cherokee that had issues.
1. electronic gremlins-this is pretty standard
2.brakes- the rotors kept warping and needed replacing pretty frequently ( I was not off roading or driving abnormally.)
3. The 4wd system Qudratrac II sucks balls. It's to complicated and I could never get it into 4wd low on mine, even 4wd High was tough. It felt like the Jeep was fighting you and it sounded like a beached whale when trying to engage it. I know the 90's regular Cherokee's had a more conventional Selec Trac system that is pretty good.
4. The mileage sucked but I expected that out of the 4.0 inline 6. I will say it was reliable.
5. It was uncomfortable on trips. It's a Jeep so I can't really ding it for that to much.
6. I didn't know this until I needed it towed. If it does have the Quadratrc II system it will require a flat bed to be towed. I called 3 tow truck companies and they all said the same thing when it broke down one night. This is weird as it does have a neutral setting on the 4wd transfer lever.
Just some things to think about. :)

If I may, could I suggest possibly a used Toyota FJ or possibly a Hummer H3 (the small one).
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Well I skipped the ZJ, and bought a ‘99 XJ that a title loan place repo’ed. It’s a 4.0, 2 inch lift, and pretty decent 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers. It’s ugly but runs, and I got it for......... $400. Now I’m going to sell the truck, get an Aussie front locker, some better tires, and do some preventative maintenance to the Jeep

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:18 am

well done! XJ beats ZJ any day, I know a few families where I grew up that had whole fleets of jeeps, and while the zj's aways ran they were always having strange issues and the interiors just fell apart. 99 is a great year for XJs as well, should treat you right!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:59 am

Nice buy!!!

Be careful with lunchbox lockers on the front axle if it's a daily driver. Some can be pretty aggressive
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Lockers can be tricky but I don’t have the money for a fancy selectable. But before that happens I have to replace the heater core. I never knew how much I missed me old Xj until I started rolling around in this turd.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:59 am

Ghostdog914 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Lockers can be tricky but I don’t have the money for a fancy selectable. But before that happens I have to replace the heater core. I never knew how much I missed me old Xj until I started rolling around in this turd.
My brother ran an Aussie on his rear on an XJ. It drove like a drift car but was at least moderately stable on road and pretty good off road. I know front locker is ideal for wheeling, but front lunchies can be brutal.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 am

The XJ now has another 1k miles on courtesy of me. Doesn't use oil, doesn't run hot. I did have to replace the driver side front hub assembly Saturday but no big deal. I have a complete front end rebuild in the garage, a cheap 2 inch lift, and some 30 9.50's for it. Still haven't touched the heater core but I probably will before next winter. Does everything I ask of it, and for the initial $400 investment it's been great.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:40 am

Ghostdog914 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 am
The XJ now has another 1k miles on courtesy of me. Doesn't use oil, doesn't run hot. I did have to replace the driver side front hub assembly Saturday but no big deal. I have a complete front end rebuild in the garage, a cheap 2 inch lift, and some 30 9.50's for it. Still haven't touched the heater core but I probably will before next winter. Does everything I ask of it, and for the initial $400 investment it's been great.
Great to hear! I miss my XJ fiercely... :(

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:38 am

It is practically impossible to go wrong with $400 Jeep that runs.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:38 am
It is practically impossible to go wrong with $400 Jeep that runs.
Mucho Agree-o.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Where do you live that you can find a running $400 Jeep? That was a great score. Those engines never die.If it's the same inline 6 that's in my "99 Wrangler. Old tractor engines. They just go and go. They don't make them like that anymore. I know that's a cliche. But literally the last time we had good engines was 20 years ago. And then only a few left.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Where do you live that you can find a running $400 Jeep? That was a great score. Those engines never die.If it's the same inline 6 that's in my "99 Wrangler. Old tractor engines. They just go and go. They don't make them like that anymore. I know that's a cliche. But literally the last time we had good engines was 20 years ago. And then only a few left.
Provided you keep the oil topped up. They leaked like a toddler with a cold, out every possible orifice.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

moab

Post by moab » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm
moab wrote:
Provided you keep the oil topped up. They leaked like a toddler with a cold, out every possible orifice.
ARe you talking about 97-06 Jeep 4.0 6 cylinders? I've never heard of that or read it anywhere. And I'm a fairly long term and very active member of one of the larger Jeep forums. It's actually dedicated to that year range only. Unless you talking about another engine?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:01 am

moab wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:
ARe you talking about 97-06 Jeep 4.0 6 cylinders? I've never heard of that or read it anywhere. And I'm a fairly long term and very active member of one of the larger Jeep forums. It's actually dedicated to that year range only. Unless you talking about another engine?
My bad. This was the previous 4.0L from the mid to late 80s I was thinking of. We had several customers with them and the valve cover gaskets leaked badly due to poor design of the gasket and the cover.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:01 am
moab wrote:
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:
My bad. This was the previous 4.0L from the mid to late 80s I was thinking of. We had several customers with them and the valve cover gaskets leaked badly due to poor design of the gasket and the cover.
You mean the 4.2L? Great engines, loved oil

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:50 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 am
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Could be. It was 30 years ago so the details are kinda hazy. They say that when you get to my age the memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember what was first.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:50 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

Could be. It was 30 years ago so the details are kinda hazy. They say that when you get to my age the memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember what was first.
Hahahaha that's a great line

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:58 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:50 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Hahahaha that's a great line
Thanks. I think it's original since I don't remember getting it from anyone.

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 am

To Moab:

I was on patrol and saw it sitting in front of a title loan place with no plates. Went in and it was a repo. They sent the title off, it came back and I offered $400 and boom I owned a beat up Cherokee. Those places will usually work with you as they just want the stuff gone. They even let me check it over before I made the offer

Return to “Transportation”