Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 pm
My preference runs to AR10 style guns in gas in 7.62X51.
^^^This^^^

For around the same price as the Galil Ace, I'd look at an Armalite AR10 Tactical 16" model....A nice 2 stage trigger, 8.4 pound dry weight, mid-length gas, adjustable gas block, chrome lined barrel, Raptor charging handle, 15" dick-mod free float tube, and it takes SR-25 pattern magazines.
If I liked the AR platform I probably would, but I've never been a fan of it, going all the way back to the 1970s when I qualified with an M16A1 and had to service them in the military. The M14 was always my favorite of the two and I loved how soft shooting it was, a reputation the Galil ACE shares and the AR10 platform does not, a factor that gains a little more importance as I get older and the shoulders start punishing me back for the abuse I gave them over the years. I tore cartilage in my shoulder recently just walking with my cane and tripping.
Which AR10's have you shot? Cause I can tell you that my 16" LMT AR10 is waaay softer than my 18" M1A. And my 18" FrankenAR10 is the same as my M1A.

And keep in mind, by the time you add a scope, scope mount, and loaded 20 round magazine, your curb weight is gonna be around 11 or 12 pounds. The weight helps soften the recoil whichever the platform.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:58 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:13 pm
It's still an AR-pattern, but I would like to suggest checking out an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. It's got very similar ballistics to 7.62x51 (somewhat more drop, but less windage), and out of my Larue it's been very easy-shooting. If it works, you could just get an upper and a mag or two for your 5.56 lower.

6.5 Creedmoor's also nice, apparently; dad's switched from his .308 (Remington 700 ca. before I was born) to a 6.5 Creedmoor (Savage Axis ca. 2017) because it doesn't bother him as much. You can get M1/M14 barrels, or an M1A Loaded from Springfield.

(If Springfield had it, I'd be really tempted to get a National/Super Match. I'd also be tempted by a Scout in 6.5 Grendel. The pattern definitely has it's deficits, but I really like the M1/M14/M1A look.)
Again, it comes back to the AR platform. I just don't like it very much. Do I own one? Yes, I do. I do because a very good friend gifted me one after a certain political figure made a certain political statement and I mentioned to that same friend that now even I had to join the EBRC (Evil Black Rifle Club) as a personal "fuck you, asshole" to said politician. It means a great deal to me that my friend gave me this gift (they actually gave me a stripped lower that I put together and have a 5.56 upper kit arriving Thursday for) and I will probably put a few hundred rounds through it and make it into my truck gun.

As for Springfield, yeah, I don't buy their products for personal reasons.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 pm
My preference runs to AR10 style guns in gas in 7.62X51.
^^^This^^^

For around the same price as the Galil Ace, I'd look at an Armalite AR10 Tactical 16" model....A nice 2 stage trigger, 8.4 pound dry weight, mid-length gas, adjustable gas block, chrome lined barrel, Raptor charging handle, 15" dick-mod free float tube, and it takes SR-25 pattern magazines.
If I liked the AR platform I probably would, but I've never been a fan of it, going all the way back to the 1970s when I qualified with an M16A1 and had to service them in the military. The M14 was always my favorite of the two and I loved how soft shooting it was, a reputation the Galil ACE shares and the AR10 platform does not, a factor that gains a little more importance as I get older and the shoulders start punishing me back for the abuse I gave them over the years. I tore cartilage in my shoulder recently just walking with my cane and tripping.
Which AR10's have you shot? Cause I can tell you that my 16" LMT AR10 is waaay softer than my 18" M1A. And my 18" FrankenAR10 is the same as my M1A.

And keep in mind, by the time you add a scope, scope mount, and loaded 20 round magazine, your curb weight is gonna be around 11 or 12 pounds. The weight helps soften the recoil whichever the platform.
Absolutely valid points. I only have very limited experience with firing AR10s. A group I belong to had a get together this past spring at a range here in Virginia and I did get to fire a few different guns in 7.62x51, including two different ARs which I can't remember the branding of (if I ever even knew). Both had noticeably more recoil than I remembered with the M14, but that perception spans more than 4 decades of time and goes back to a much younger and fitter "me". Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to shoot any of the M1A variants that were there, so I have no recent M14 clone experience to compare with.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 am

TFB - General Dynamics’ Next Generation Squad Weapon – The RM277

The RM277 takes its name from the inch equivalent of the US Army’s desired 6.8mm (or .277in) round....Unlike both SIG Sauer and Textron, General Dynamics have opted for a common architecture for their weapons with both using the same action, feed, layout and basic design....The weapons use what General Dynamics’ describe as a ‘gas and recoil operated, impulse averaged, air cooled’ system. With both the rifle and AR being magazine fed from box magazines – this again is a departure away from rival designs, with both Textron and SIG Sauer both utilizing belt feeds.

Perhaps the most interesting feature, however, is that the weapons use a dual firing system – firing from a closed bolt when in semi-auto and from an open bolt when in full-auto, to aid cooling....As we already know the rifles are chambered in a polymer-cased round developed and manufactured by True Velocity. We now know that GD-OTS and TV have designated this cartridge the 277 TVCM. Which they say is “designed specifically for use of Composite Materials” and uses an “Advanced Composite Cartridge Case” which minimizes weight and utilizes ‘Compacted Propellant Technology’ to minimize case volume and weight.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 pm

And it looks like it can also fix those really tough toilet clogs! :awesome:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:25 pm

The rest of the rifle looks interesting, but it looks like someone stuck an oil filter on the end of the barrel and called it good. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:41 pm

From the WTAF files...

BrickWurX Manufacturing Red Ryd-AR Lever-Action AR-15

So you thought you have seen it all in the AR world? Well, then meet the mind-boggling Red Ryd-AR lever-action AR-15 by BrickWurX Manufacturing.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:41 pm
From the WTAF files...

So you thought you have seen it all in the AR world? Well, then meet the mind-boggling Red Ryd-AR lever-action AR-15 by BrickWurX Manufacturing.

I want to see a pump lever action AR revolver.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

TTAG -Federal Court Dismisses Case Against Firearms Manufacturers

The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio Eastern Division has dismissed a case against several AR-15 firearms manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson, Remington Arms Company, Sig Sauer, Sturm, Ruger & Company, Colt’s Manufacturing and Armalite.

The dismissal with prejudice of the Primus Group v. Smith & Wesson, et. al. case was delivered Oct. 9.

The court found the plaintiffs had no standing to bring the case against the defendants. This decision asserts that those who purposefully and criminally misuse firearms are the ones who are responsible for those crimes. It further affirms that activist lawsuits to prompt judicial action are not the proper avenue to establish policy....

....Primus Group, LLC, is an entertainment venue in Columbus, Ohio. The limited liability company filed suit after the tragic murders in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, claiming the firearms companies engaged in racketeering, intentional misrepresentation claims, and “a clear and present danger” of all American lives due to “assault weapons.”

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio Eastern Division has dismissed a case against several AR-15 firearms manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson, Remington Arms Company, Sig Sauer, Sturm, Ruger & Company, Colt’s Manufacturing and Armalite.

The dismissal with prejudice of the Primus Group v. Smith & Wesson, et. al. case was delivered Oct. 9.

The court found the plaintiffs had no standing to bring the case against the defendants. This decision asserts that those who purposefully and criminally misuse firearms are the ones who are responsible for those crimes. It further affirms that activist lawsuits to prompt judicial action are not the proper avenue to establish policy....

....Primus Group, LLC, is an entertainment venue in Columbus, Ohio. The limited liability company filed suit after the tragic murders in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, claiming the firearms companies engaged in racketeering, intentional misrepresentation claims, and “a clear and present danger” of all American lives due to “assault weapons.”
Some good news.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

RickOShea wrote:
From the WTAF files...

Oh crap, looks like that company found my old sketchbook from when I was in middle school. :lol:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm
RickOShea wrote:
From the WTAF files...

Oh crap, looks like that company found my old sketchbook from when I was in middle school. :lol:
So, you're responsible for this? Good, I really wanted to ask the designer what drugs they were on when they came up with this... and what's in the under-barrel magazine tube? Cleaning kit? Oiler? Bad ass pre-chewed cigar stub so you can look cool shooting it?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm

I want to thank you guys for your input on my .308 battle rifle considerations. You gave me some ideas (6.5 Grendal might be the caliber of a future rifle and I'll be taking more of an interest in AR10s at the range) but in the end it came down to how much budget I thought I had left vs how much my wife said I had left, which led to picking up a nice BM59 from the folks over at Midway.

Why 7.62x51 NATO vs other choices? Availability of cheap mil-surp ammo in bulk for one, a lot more varied loadings for another. Buy it cheap and stack it deep only works if you can find it for cheap and in quantity. Just a cursory check for offerings over at sgammo.com shows a very limited selection of in-stock 6.5 Grendal ammo vs in-stock 7.62x51/.308 which has dozens of offerings. From what I'm seeing, the cheapest 6.5 Grendal is the steel-cased stuff @ .25 cents a round, but with the brass cased stuff hovering near a buck a round while 7.62x51 steel-cased is in the .30 cent range and brass cased mil-surp is in the .40-.50 cent range.

Anyway, I made my choices and I'm good with them. Not 100% what I wanted but, hey, if I need a NATO rifle grenade launcher at some point, I'm covered. 8-)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:00 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm
RickOShea wrote:
From the WTAF files...

So, you're responsible for this? Good, I really wanted to ask the designer what drugs they were on when they came up with this... and what's in the under-barrel magazine tube? Cleaning kit? Oiler? Bad ass pre-chewed cigar stub so you can look cool shooting it?
It was caffeine. Lots and lots of caffeine. :lol:

I knew I should've burned that sketchbook. :gonk:

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm
I want to thank you guys for your input on my .308 battle rifle considerations. You gave me some ideas (6.5 Grendal might be the caliber of a future rifle and I'll be taking more of an interest in AR10s at the range) but in the end it came down to how much budget I thought I had left vs how much my wife said I had left, which led to picking up a nice BM59 from the folks over at Midway.

Why 7.62x51 NATO vs other choices? Availability of cheap mil-surp ammo in bulk for one, a lot more varied loadings for another. Buy it cheap and stack it deep only works if you can find it for cheap and in quantity. Just a cursory check for offerings over at sgammo.com shows a very limited selection of in-stock 6.5 Grendal ammo vs in-stock 7.62x51/.308 which has dozens of offerings. From what I'm seeing, the cheapest 6.5 Grendal is the steel-cased stuff @ .25 cents a round, but with the brass cased stuff hovering near a buck a round while 7.62x51 steel-cased is in the .30 cent range and brass cased mil-surp is in the .40-.50 cent range.

Anyway, I made my choices and I'm good with them. Not 100% what I wanted but, hey, if I need a NATO rifle grenade launcher at some point, I'm covered. 8-)
That's a good looking rifle. I'm kind of a sucker for the M1-type, though...and Dragunovs, really.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Well so much for my "the gun made me do it" defense. I am going to have to come up with a new plan.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 pm

NT2C wrote:
...which led to picking up a nice BM59 from the folks over at Midway.
Wow. Larry Potterfield is awfully proud of those spare BM59 magazines.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:53 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 pm
NT2C wrote:
Yeah, mags are expensive. But shopping around I'm finding them used for a lot less than Midway has them.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:06 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:53 pm
RickOShea wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Yeah, mags are expensive. But shopping around I'm finding them used for a lot less than Midway has them.
Anyone else besides Sadlak make a scope mount for it?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:06 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:53 pm
RickOShea wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Anyone else besides Sadlak make a scope mount for it?
Not that I'm aware of but I was planning to pick that mount up at a later date (when my budget replenishes a little). I may even pick up two because they also work on M1 Garands and a buddy of mine has one I think he'd like to put a scope on.

ETA: Found another one

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Quick question on AR gas system lengths.

Can you run a mid-length upper on a lower with a carbine weight buffer ?

I ask because I'm looking at uppers on PSA and almost all the ones I'm finding within my budget are mid-length systems. There's a couple carbine length ones, but they're all minus the BCG and charging handle and I'm not sure how to headspace my AR or if I'd even have to if I put a new upper on.

My AR came set up as a carbine, so I have no idea if I'll need to swap out my buffer weight or if I can just slap the mid-length upper on and be good to go.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm
I'm not sure how to headspace my AR or if I'd even have to if I put a new upper on.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
A carbine weight buffer shouldn't be a problem.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
A carbine weight buffer shouldn't be a problem.
Neat.

I guess if I have to, I can always pick up a different weight buffer.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”