TORNADOS!

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

TORNADOS!

Post by flybynight » Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 pm

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by Confucius » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Sitting in a hotel in Grear Bend right now. Got some awful big thunderstorms rolling on by out the window. Other than a bit of decent hail, nothing to report just yet. Area is under a tornado watch though. Fingers crossed I don't get to experience my first tornado tonight...

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Welcome to Kansas :awesome: It's ok. If a tornado approaches, just climb the nearest mountain . :clownshoes:

I see a tornado warning southwest of you and east of you. Were you there last night when they had multiple tornados?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 pm

DA (app) reports tornado(es) in the Wichita area.

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by Confucius » Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pm
Welcome to Kansas :awesome: It's ok. If a tornado approaches, just climb the nearest mountain . :clownshoes:

I see a tornado warning southwest of you and east of you. Were you there last night when they had multiple tornados?
Nah, driving into town, drove right between the two storms. Was a lovely view...

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

TORNADO OUTBREAK in N E Kansas. Numurous tornados have touched down and funnel clouds reported over wide area. NWS site crashed and reports of any damage are sketchy right now. Even right now my weather radio, TV and phone is going crazy
Towns impacted include
Enterprise, Chapman, Junction city, Fort Riley, Keats, Riley, Randolph, Olsburg, Blaine ,Wheaton, Lilis, Topeka, Rossville, Meridian ,Netawaka, Whiting, Vermillion ,Denison

This is ongoing at this time.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7425
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by NT2C » Tue May 21, 2019 7:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm
TORNADO OUTBREAK in N E Kansas. Numurous tornados have touched down and funnel clouds reported over wide area. NWS site crashed and reports of any damage are sketchy right now. Even right now my weather radio, TV and phone is going crazy
Towns impacted include
Enterprise, Chapman, Junction city, Fort Riley, Keats, Riley, Randolph, Olsburg, Blaine ,Wheaton, Lilis, Topeka, Rossville, Meridian ,Netawaka, Whiting, Vermillion ,Denison

This is ongoing at this time.
Hunker down and wait it out.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:05 pm
flybynight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm
TORNADO OUTBREAK in N E Kansas. Numurous tornados have touched down and funnel clouds reported over wide area. NWS site crashed and reports of any damage are sketchy right now. Even right now my weather radio, TV and phone is going crazy
Towns impacted include
Enterprise, Chapman, Junction city, Fort Riley, Keats, Riley, Randolph, Olsburg, Blaine ,Wheaton, Lilis, Topeka, Rossville, Meridian ,Netawaka, Whiting, Vermillion ,Denison

This is ongoing at this time.
Hunker down and wait it out.
It appears radar data is down across NWS. No feeds in Topeka, Wichita, KC Omaha Basically everything

Judging from weather radio Tornados are in far NE corner of KS and also entering Nebraska east of Wymore ETA Falls city
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Like I said info is sketchy This is all that's reported on NWS right now

0723 PM TORNADO 2 ESE BERN 39.95N 95.94W
05/21/2019 NEMAHA KS NWS EMPLOYEE

REPORT OF A STRONG TORNADO NORTH OF ONEIDA.



0712 PM TORNADO 3 W ONEIDA 39.87N 95.99W
05/21/2019 NEMAHA KS NWS EMPLOYEE

TORNADO DAMAGE TO A HOUSE NEAR US 36.


0718 PM TORNADO 3 NNW ONEIDA 39.90N 95.96W
05/21/2019 NEMAHA KS STORM CHASER

TORNADO WAS A SMALL ROPE TORNADO.

0702 PM FUNNEL CLOUD 4 SE SENECA 39.80N 96.01W
05/21/2019 NEMAHA KS NWS EMPLOYEE

FUNNEL CLOUD OBSERVED.

0640 PM TORNADO MAYETTA 39.34N 95.72W
05/21/2019 JACKSON KS BROADCAST MEDIA

PICTURES SHARED ON SOCIAL MEDIA OF POSSIBLE
TORNADO DAMAGE. PART OF THE ROOF OF A HOUSE
COLLAPSED, AND LARGE PARTS OF TREES SNAPPED.
TDS WAS SEEN ON RADAR NEAR MAYETTA.

0620 PM TORNADO 4 SE DELIA 39.21N 95.91W
05/21/2019 SHAWNEE KS EMERGENCY MNGR

TORNADO DAMAGE: DAMAGE TO POWER POLES AT
86TH ST. AND DAVIS RD.

0655 PM TORNADO 3 SW WHITING 39.55N 95.65W
05/21/2019 JACKSON KS TRAINED SPOTTER

TORNADO REPORTED SOUTH OF WHITING.


0622 PM TORNADO 2 ENE DELIA 39.25N 95.93W
05/21/2019 JACKSON KS PUBLIC

PICTURE ON SOCIAL MEDIA CONFIRMING TORNADO
JUST EAST OF DELIA.

As the storm systems left my area we were hit with strong straightline winds . Under severe thunder storm and tornado watch til ten tonight
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Kind of a frightening experience to find yourself thrust back into the 1960's

severe weather all around you. WEA message saying tornado in your area

NO RADAR (sorry we are expeareancing technical diffulculties


NWS website displays this


National Weather Service

Tue May 21 2019 21:54:22 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
The page you requested cannot be found. Please check your URL and try again.
Please use the following links for NWS forecasts and services.
Forecasts:
http://forecast.weather.gov/zipcity.php
*Please type your zip code into the search box
Radar:
http://radar.weather.gov
Air Quality:
http://airquality.weather.gov
Aviation:
http://aviationweather.gov
River and Lake Forecasts and Observations:
http://water.weather.gov
Graphical Forecasts:
http://graphical.weather.gov

We apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause.
National Weather Service
Office of Operational Systems

No storm reports pop up storms all over the place, HIgh winds Watching news right now. Doesn't appear to be any casulties but quite a bit of damage

A co worker has some great pictures he took while racing to get home to his kid. Including one that popped up on his facebook feed showing a tornado in the background and him in his car in the foreground. Crazy That ones a family heirloom.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by MPMalloy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 pm

My DA app has been sounding Tornado alerts for KS, OK, & TX all day long. Iowa has a 4-day Flood Watch coming up. The ground is still saturated from last month.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7425
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by NT2C » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Glad you're safe but remember, if the tornado picks up your house, PM me and I'll give you the address of my ex as a landing site.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13081
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am

Three dead in another 'nado in Jefferson City, MO.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/violent-torn ... ross-state
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Thu May 23, 2019 8:24 am

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm

From UPI: New round of severe weather to batter storm-ravaged Plains, central U.S.

My DA app will not *STFU*. KS & OK. Flood WARNINGS throughout Iowa for the foreseeable future. A few road closures here in DSM.

Is everyone OK?

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm
From UPI: New round of severe weather to batter storm-ravaged Plains, central U.S.

My DA app will not *STFU*. KS & OK. Flood WARNINGS throughout Iowa for the foreseeable future. A few road closures here in DSM.

Is everyone OK?
Well I'm fine so far. watching big storms south east of us. Weather radio is going off constanty for area;s around Topeka and KC area
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Sat May 25, 2019 1:44 pm

KSC073-270430-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE
KANSAS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY WICHITA KANSAS
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS
1130 PM CDT FRI MAY 24 2019

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF GREENWOOD
COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT.

GREENWOOD COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IS REQUESTING ALL RESIDENTS
BELOW FALL RIVER DAM TO EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. A SHELTER HAS BEEN
SET UP IN EUREKA AT JEFFERSON STREET BAPTIST CHURCH, LOCATED AT
300 S. JEFFERSON STREET. RECORD LEVELS OF WATER ARE BEING RELEASED
OUT OF FALL RIVER RESERVOIR THAT WILL CAUSE WIDESPREAD FLOODING.

$$

VAUGHAN
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by Brekar » Sat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm

All of you be safe out there. Here in KC we've had massive amounts of rain and issues from the fallout associated with the flooding that comes with that. No tornado's so far in my AO but the rain has taken out rails from from St. Louis to Kansas City and from Oklahoma into Kansas to Kansas City, which has forced Amtrak to stop running between St. Louis and Kansas City for the foreseeable future.
It's rained so much here in Kansas City that rain gear only works for a short amount of time before it becomes pointless. :gonk:

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Sat May 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Brekar wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm
All of you be safe out there. Here in KC we've had massive amounts of rain and issues from the fallout associated with the flooding that comes with that. No tornado's so far in my AO but the rain has taken out rails from from St. Louis to Kansas City and from Oklahoma into Kansas to Kansas City, which has forced Amtrak to stop running between St. Louis and Kansas City for the foreseeable future.
It's rained so much here in Kansas City that rain gear only works for a short amount of time before it becomes pointless. :gonk:
Tuttle creek lake is 8feet from capacity
Milford lake is 9 feet
ACOE has said they could start releasing water from Perry lake as early as today
Kansas river at Le Compton is forcast to reach one foot above flood stage mid day Sunday ( without water releases from any of these lakes )

There's a big storm heading in right now with heavy rain and severe weather forecast for tonight. Shit's about to get real quicker than you can say 1993
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Topeka KS
847 PM CDT Sat May 25 2019

KSZ022-023-036-038-260245-
Wabaunsee-Geary-Pottawatomie-Riley-
847 PM CDT Sat May 25 2019

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTHEASTERN GEARY...SOUTHEASTERN
RILEY...NORTHWESTERN WABAUNSEE AND SOUTHEASTERN POTTAWATOMIE COUNTIES
UNTIL 945 PM CDT...

At 847 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking strong thunderstorms along
a line extending from 3 miles north of Alta Vista to 8 miles south of
Grandview Plaza. Movement was northeast at 30 mph.

Nickel size hail and wind gusts of 50 to 55 mph will be possible with
these storms.

Locations impacted include...
Eastern Manhattan, Wamego, Alma, St. Marys, St. George, McFarland and
Volland.

This includes Interstate 70 between mile markers 305 and 333.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Torrential rainfall is also occurring with these storms, and may lead
to localized flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded
roadways.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with these storms.
Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe
shelter inside a building or vehicle.

These storms may intensify, so be certain to monitor local radio
stations and available television stations for additional information
and possible warnings from the National Weather Service.

&&

A Severe Thunderstorm Watch remains in effect until 300 AM CDT for
northeastern and east central Kansas.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 25, 2019 9:27 pm

NWS KDSM I have ID'd the highest point in Iowa. I don't have the resources that I did in'93. (worried emoji) :(

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by flybynight » Sun May 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Lake Perry to begin releasing water at 6:00 pm

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Perry ... 52411.html

They will start releasing water at a rate of 7,480 gallons (1,000 cubic feet) per-second, eventually ramping up releases to 74805 gps (10,000 cfs) by Monday morning.

Lake and river levels

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Water ... 41911.html
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by Brekar » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:16 pm
Brekar wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm
All of you be safe out there. Here in KC we've had massive amounts of rain and issues from the fallout associated with the flooding that comes with that. No tornado's so far in my AO but the rain has taken out rails from from St. Louis to Kansas City and from Oklahoma into Kansas to Kansas City, which has forced Amtrak to stop running between St. Louis and Kansas City for the foreseeable future.
It's rained so much here in Kansas City that rain gear only works for a short amount of time before it becomes pointless. :gonk:
Tuttle creek lake is 8feet from capacity
Milford lake is 9 feet
ACOE has said they could start releasing water from Perry lake as early as today
Kansas river at Le Compton is forcast to reach one foot above flood stage mid day Sunday ( without water releases from any of these lakes )

There's a big storm heading in right now with heavy rain and severe weather forecast for tonight. Shit's about to get real quicker than you can say 1993
Yeah it's about to get nasty. I brought a train into Kansas City today and the route took me over both the Missouri and Kansas rivers. They are extremely high, and much higher than I like to see them. In several places it is very common to see whole, very large trees floating down the river, so don't thing your lifted 4x4 can make it across any standing water. 2 days ago I watched a girl try to ford a water that was at least a foot deep under a train bridge I happened to be stopped on and apparently she thought the faster her car went the better it would be, it didn't help.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: TORNADO outbreak in KS

Post by MPMalloy » Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 am


Post Reply

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”