Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Zed Hunter

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

Just received a one step swag die from BT Sniper to convert old 9X19 brass to .40cal/10mm jacketed hollow point bullets. Now to cast the pure lead cores.

Tracking up dated to show the power source for my induction heating setup that will be used for annealing the brass. The ZVS driver and generic coil still haven't been turned over to USPS.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am
Just received a one step swag die from BT Sniper to convert old 9X19 brass to .40cal/10mm jacketed hollow point bullets. Now to cast the pure lead cores.

Tracking up dated to show the power source for my induction heating setup that will be used for annealing the brass. The ZVS driver and generic coil still haven't been turned over to USPS.
Once I get set up on the property I am going to have to try this..... making my own jacketed bullets would be amazing. Get a video of the process I'd love to see it!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

What do y'all do with brass that's no longer safe to reload ?

I've seen some folks on YouTube making crafts out of sketchy range floor brass and wondered if anyone here on ZS did that same thing.

ETA: I wonder if this ought to be its own thread so as to not hijack this one. Mods, if this deserves to be its own thread, let me know or move it as you see fit.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I've seen some folks on YouTube making crafts out of sketchy range floor brass and wondered if anyone here on ZS did that same thing.

ETA: I wonder if this ought to be its own thread so as to not hijack this one. Mods, if this deserves to be its own thread, let me know or move it as you see fit.
I crush it with my press to flatten it for better storage eventually I'll melt it to make ingots and maybe sell or use as weights for crab/shrimp pots. Hell maybe I'll get into sand casting and make some cool stuff.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I crush it with my press to flatten it for better storage eventually I'll melt it to make ingots and maybe sell or use as weights for crab/shrimp pots. Hell maybe I'll get into sand casting and make some cool stuff.
I've seen some folks on YouTube make paperweights with spent brass and some of that clear acrylic stuff they sell at Hobby Lobby. I've thought about doing that with the box and a half of old .45 ACP brass I've got.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I've seen some folks on YouTube make paperweights with spent brass and some of that clear acrylic stuff they sell at Hobby Lobby. I've thought about doing that with the box and a half of old .45 ACP brass I've got.
I really want to look more into what Zed Hunter is talking about. I've got LOTS of old lead weights from when my dad was alive and fishing. have about 15 lead downrigger weights, a tackle box full of lead weights, and various other things. plus I see them all the time for a couple buck here and there for people getting rid of old fishing gear (the big weights). So making my own bullets and using 22lr cases as jackets for them would be simply amazing.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 pm

My dad and brothers used to make their own fishing weights from old scrap lead. My dad used the bottom part of a crawfish boiler and put an old pot on top to hold the chunks of lead for melting.

I remember when I was about 11 or so and I watched them dig a small hole in the backyard, smooth it out a little, put in a little twisted piece of thick copper wire and then pour molten lead directly in the hole. Twenty or so minutes later, they pulled the resulting weight out and washed off the dirt.

Despite all the years that have gone by, I can still clearly remember what my dad and brothers did to make the wieghts. I figure I can probably do the same thing if I had the materials. Only thing that'd really cost me a bit would be the heat source to melt the lead.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am

I will refer you to castboolits.gunloads.com for learning and advice. Also the Los Angeles cast bullet assn. Web site. Both are great resources for learning to cast your own projectiles.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:18 pm

eugene wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 pm
hmm, I'm using unique in 9mm, looks like it may be decent for .357 as well. I'll have to test some.
Unique is indeed a decent powder for .357. It’s a little dirty, but has performed very well for me in target loads. My uncle (and family) shot silhouette competitions in the mid 80s to early 90s and swore by it in their .357s and .41s. For years now I’ve used it in 9mm, .38sp, .357, .45acp, & .45lc.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 am

Alliant took over production of the Hercules brand powders in the late 90s. They reformulated them to burn cleaner with the same pressures and burn rates. Green Dot, Red Dot, and Unique are my go to powders. They all started out being for shotgun shell loads, and wound up being useable in multiple pistol and rifle calibers. Bullseye and Blue Dot are the only caliber limited powders I use.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun May 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Took some of my old stock of 300bo out and shot a over 300rds. I reloaded these back when I was using a single stage press and some of them when I was using a turret press. They were all over the place with the COL (still within specs and I under charged them so they weren't over pressured or compacted). The powder I used was 1680 and while I still use that for my subsonics I didn't want to pull all these out just in case some H110 may have been mixed in. They all shot great. These were made before I had my full reloading process was worked out and only had an issue with one (wasn't resized properly and the neck got stuck) it was an easy jam to clear but I'm glad shot them all in a non life threatening situation.

How I have lots of 300bo cases to reload! Also hit the mother load of 223 cases where we were shooting. I think we put maybe 5 mags through the 223's we brought up, and I used the catch bags for the ones I shot so they didn't go flying. and we came out with 2 plastic bags full of brass. Hurray!

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm

So I was reading and researching about .357 and powders like unique and titegroup will give slower speed which isn't the best for a hunting round. From what I can tell is I want a good heavy bullet like 158 grain and as fast as possible which means I want to look at Magnum loads. Also I want to be able to someday cast my own so I started looking for a powder that can be for a Magnum load for 158 Hornady XTP and 158grain lead.
Accurate lists both for No.9: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conten ... eb-REV.pdf
They list 12.4 to 13.8 for 158g XTP and 11.2 to 12.4 for 158g lead. So I found some #9 at Vances and loaded up some to test.

Here is a screen shot of my 'recipe cards'

The amazing thing is how close I came to the published fps at max load, their 1367 to my 1364.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

minengr

Post by minengr » Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Scrap it. A good buddy that shot LOTS of 22lr, before the craziness, collected it all and took it to the local scrap yard and traded it for scrap lead. I give all my scrap brass to him and in return he will cast bullets for me.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 am

eugene wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Accurate lists both for No.9:
The amazing thing is how close I came to the published fps at max load, their 1367 to my 1364.
I use #9 for my 10mm it’s a great powder and puts some great numbers out.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”