What's your favorite non-prep prep item?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: What's your favorite non-prep prep item?

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:59 am

JimmyJN wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:29 am
I know a lot of us prep the standard items, water, canned good, etc. Just wondering what one item are you keeping in your preps that you really don't need, but couldn't go without.

Only reason I'm asking is because they had a sale today at our local supermarket. 10 for $10 on Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Although I technically really don't need it. That is my favorite BBQ sauce, so I bought 20 of them, to place in my preps.

Just wondering what others are storing, that is their favorite....
Like your foresight and attitude. Let's plan on a big bbq, two weeks after the apocalypse at your place. I'll bring smoked pork and slaw and whatever brown ale I have. :awesome:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Frank’s hot sauce, for eggs and squirrel

Ketchup, after seeing The Martian

Ranch dressing for my dandelion greens
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:59 am
JimmyJN wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:29 am
I know a lot of us prep the standard items, water, canned good, etc. Just wondering what one item are you keeping in your preps that you really don't need, but couldn't go without.

Only reason I'm asking is because they had a sale today at our local supermarket. 10 for $10 on Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Although I technically really don't need it. That is my favorite BBQ sauce, so I bought 20 of them, to place in my preps.

Just wondering what others are storing, that is their favorite....
Like your foresight and attitude. Let's plan on a big bbq, two weeks after the apocalypse at your place. I'll bring smoked pork and slaw and whatever brown ale I have. :awesome:
We'll bring dessert, we keep a pretty deep variety of cake mixes and all the extras in our pantry. Paper cups, frosting, candy sprinkles, maraschino cherries, and b-day candles. The Jell-O 'no bake' cheesecake, made with evaporated milk, butter (fresh or canned), and topped with some maraschino cherries isn't bad either. We don't even have much of a sweet tooth, but kids do love visiting us. Quick and easy, most of it cheap at the dollar store, and everything shelf stable. So yes, cupcakes and cheesecake will be on the menu at our house during the apocalypse :)

Smoked oysters, green olives w/pimentos, banana peppers, and popcorn all have to be restocked regularly here too. Tried having a pantry row for pistachios and peanuts once, until I realized I'd need a second job to keep that row stocked.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:28 am

I don't have super deep food preps at the moment as finances and space honestly just don't allow it. That being said, I habitually keep multiple bottles of Frank's, Soy Sauce, Sriracha, and Worcestershire sauce on the shelf. I never like to run out. Also olives and various pickled items (beets, okra, green beans, I pretty much love all things pickled). I tried pickled carrots for the first time a few months ago and am pretty obsessed with them and now have several jars stashed away.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Just made up 4 quarts of giardiniera. Pickled vegetables. Cauliflower, carrots, olives, bell peppers, garlic, sport peppers, (I didn't have any pearl onions or celery), white wine vinegar water and kosher or canning salt. I water bath canned 3 of them. Put one in the refer. Let sit for a week and eat.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:18 pm
Just made up 4 quarts of giardiniera. Pickled vegetables. Cauliflower, carrots, olives, bell peppers, garlic, sport peppers, (I didn't have any pearl onions or celery), white wine vinegar water and kosher or canning salt. I water bath canned 3 of them. Put one in the refer. Let sit for a week and eat.
That sounds good.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 pm

premade pesto sauce

I can make fresh pesto using my garden and oil, but using the premade stuff is so easy for a quick meal.
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 am

The person who started this thread turned out to be a spammer who thought he could slip one past the mods by getting the post approved first, then going back to edit it to put in spam links. Yeah, ZS mods don't play that game and the person has now been banned.

The topic is a good one though and since folks have taken it and run with it I see no reason not to keep it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

echo83

Post by echo83 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:39 pm

There are a few that come immediately to mind:

1.) Hot sauce. My love affair began with the 1/8 ounce Tabasco bottles in MREs. They will always hold a place in my heart, but now Sriracha is a favorite. I always have a bottle on hand at home, and have used packets in my GHB/BOB. It livens up food, and can be used as an "area denial weapon" on said food if you don't feel like sharing with others in your group.

2.) Scho ka kola. I use it sparingly, because my daily caffeine intake is already about 1 pot of coffee a day, and I don't want to develop too much of a tolerance. Lately, though, I've been buying it in 10 can packs, so we can see where that's going. Luckily, it takes an eternity to ship, so that disciplines me.

3.) Instant coffee. I keep a can in my vehicle. How do you know when you're pressed for time? You turn yourself into a human Keurig machine: I've been known to throw in a spoonful, follow it up with a chug of water, and brew it in my stomach. Doesn't get too much more instant than that.

4.) Foam earplugs. Tons of uses for these. If you need a quick nap, your fellow campers get too rowdy, you need a little help concentrating, etc.

5.) MRE toilet paper. One of those preps that takes up no space. If you use it once, it's worth it.

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:33 pm

Coffee. I could survive without it, but what would be the point? Also teas, for the same reason.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Instant coffee that I bought for camping. I buy a Korean brand with sugar and creamer in it so all I have to do is add hot water; it comes in premade packets. I even keep some in my GHB. I make sure there are at least three boxes in the pantry all the time. I also seem to have a large amount of tuna and spam. I don't even eat spam, but my wife is half Filipino so we have that in bulk.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 am
The person who started this thread turned out to be a spammer who thought he could slip one past the mods
I thought it was strange.

I think condiments are an essential part of preps. They provide things like cheap fats and make other things much more palatable. Few people like a salad without dressing for example. I wait till they are 2 for 1 then load up. BBQ sauce we have plenty of when it hits $.99 a bottle.

The thing I don't need that I keep around are energy drinks. I prefer a good cup of cappachino in the morning but when working late (I am always working late) I would much rather have a cold energy drink. They stick vitamins in them these days for no good reason so there is that. Since the ones I drink are calorie free it is mostly just expensive water with caffine and vitamins in it. Yet I do get a nice energy boost for about 2-3 hours so they serve a purpose of sorts.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Coffee, coffee and more coffee. That and Deep South Cajun Seasoning are 2 must haves for me.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Chaos454 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm
Instant coffee that I bought for camping. I buy a Korean brand with sugar and creamer in it so all I have to do is add hot water; it comes in premade packets. I even keep some in my GHB. I make sure there are at least three boxes in the pantry all the time.
Cool recommendation, Chaos454. I did a little research on this coffee. It's called Maxim Korean Coffee. It sounds pretty cool; each packet is segmented into coffee, then creamer, then sugar. This theoretically allows you to pinch it, drop in the coffee by itself, then the creamer, then the sugar. I'm going to get some and test it out. Thanks!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

echo83 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 pm
Chaos454 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm
Instant coffee that I bought for camping. I buy a Korean brand with sugar and creamer in it so all I have to do is add hot water; it comes in premade packets. I even keep some in my GHB. I make sure there are at least three boxes in the pantry all the time.
Cool recommendation, Chaos454. I did a little research on this coffee. It's called Maxim Korean Coffee. It sounds pretty cool; each packet is segmented into coffee, then creamer, then sugar. This theoretically allows you to pinch it, drop in the coffee by itself, then the creamer, then the sugar. I'm going to get some and test it out. Thanks!
At $20 for 100 sticks on Amazon, and one stick for every 3 ounces of water, for a normal sized mug you're looking at 60 cents per. Not a horrific price but not very cheap either. Might be better to make your own using a roll of heat seal bags and a bag sealer.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm

echo83 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:39 pm

1.) Hot sauce. My love affair began with the 1/8 ounce Tabasco bottles in MREs. They will always hold a place in my heart, but now Sriracha is a favorite. I always have a bottle on hand at home, and have used packets in my GHB/BOB. It livens up food, and can be used as an "area denial weapon" on said food if you don't feel like sharing with others in your group.
+1 to that! My team was assigned to the Brits for OIF, and their version of MREs sucked. The only way I could make it through the British lunch portion (crackers and pate) was the little bottles of Tabasco I had kept from our MREs.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:43 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

At $20 for 100 sticks on Amazon, and one stick for every 3 ounces of water, for a normal sized mug you're looking at 60 cents per. Not a horrific price but not very cheap either. Might be better to make your own using a roll of heat seal bags and a bag sealer.
Could be worse, some really mean person introduced me to these, and then I saw the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Bustelo-Ins ... B071FM146S
Your idea does have some merit though, might try to find some black-market plastic drinking straws....
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:43 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Could be worse, some really mean person introduced me to these, and then I saw the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Bustelo-Ins ... B071FM146S
Your idea does have some merit though, might try to find some black-market plastic drinking straws....
Ah yes, Spanish style coffee. My father's 5th wife (stepmother #3 for me) was Puerto Rican and got me hooked on the stuff, so much so that I make it at home to this day.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Totally non-prep, but I have books. Lots of books. I rarely ever go anywhere without a book.

To me, it's actually an essential survival item--for my brain. :clownshoes:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Regarding hot sauce, I've become a big fan of the Allsup's brand taco sauce.

Allsup's is a chain of convenience stores that's mostly in West Texas and Southeastern New Mexico, for those of y'all who've never heard of it. Anyway, about four years ago, the company decided to bottle up their famous taco sauce and sell it that way for a couple bucks a pop. For years, the only way to get the sauce was to buy a burrito (which are great in their own right) and ask for a big handful of the sauce packets.

It's not quite as famous as Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot or even Texas Pete, but it's famous enough down here that when the bottles disappeared from the shelves for four months, people noticed and questions were asked.

It's also cheap enough that I can grab a few bottles and have a decent supply for awhile and not be out a whole lot.

CG

Post by CG » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:25 am

Beowolf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 pm
Totally non-prep, but I have books. Lots of books. I rarely ever go anywhere without a book.

To me, it's actually an essential survival item--for my brain. :clownshoes:
This reminds me, I need to figure out a Faraday cage for my spare Kindle and a solar charger one of these days.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I am equally shocked, appalled and thrilled to be the first to say guns and bullets. Y'all think about food too much.

:awesome:
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Dabster wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm
I am equally shocked, appalled and thrilled to be the first to say guns and bullets. Y'all think about food too much.

:awesome:
So, guns and bullets are "non-prep" items for you?

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:36 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 pm
So, guns and bullets are "non-prep" items for you?
I hang my head in shame: Reading Is Fundamental...
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”