Pie > Oreo?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Pie > Oreo?

Post by boskone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Anianna wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 pm
My phone locked up and wouldn't let me skip the update, so it force updated. Took a good 30 minutes, too! And now everything looks like crap, imo. They did a lot of little things that are ticking me off. The icons blew up. The time moved to the left of the info bar and I see no way to move it back to the far right. When you pull the menu down to change your brightness, the menu is now a full button grid and the brightness slider is all the way at the bottom of the screen, which is not convenient if you manually adjust your brightness. I tried to adjust the button grid to fewer buttons, but that doesn't make the overall grid smaller, just the buttons bigger. It looks goofy and amateur and is not practical. I don't like it. I want to roll back.

Sorry about your wonky hours. :ohdear:
Well, that sounds annoying. Guess I'll wait 'til a ROMmer fixes the...er...peculiarities. System info is on the right, notifications are on the left; what's the point of mixing the two up?

Google seems dead set on running me out of their ecosystem. Killing off Hangouts in favor of Hangouts Chat for no discernible reason, making all their UIs include a ton of wasted space.

Of course the only other option is Apple, and their shit's just too expensive for my tastes; at least I can ROM my phone. Smartphones are just too useful to go dumbphone again, enough so to outweigh the annoyances...so far.

flybynight

Re: CHATting thru the snow...

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:32 pm
Anianna wrote:
My phone locked up and wouldn't let me skip the update, so it force updated. Took a good 30 minutes, too! And now everything looks like crap, imo. They did a lot of little things that are ticking me off. The icons blew up. The time moved to the left of the info bar and I see no way to move it back to the far right. When you pull the menu down to change your brightness, the menu is now a full button grid and the brightness slider is all the way at the bottom of the screen, which is not convenient if you manually adjust your brightness. I tried to adjust the button grid to fewer buttons, but that doesn't make the overall grid smaller, just the buttons bigger. It looks goofy and amateur and is not practical. I don't like it. I want to roll back.

Well, that sounds annoying. Guess I'll wait 'til a ROMmer fixes the...er...peculiarities. System info is on the right, notifications are on the left; what's the point of mixing the two up?

Google seems dead set on running me out of their ecosystem. Killing off Hangouts in favor of Hangouts Chat for no discernible reason, making all their UIs include a ton of wasted space.

Of course the only other option is Apple, and their shit's just too expensive for my tastes; at least I can ROM my phone. Smartphones are just too useful to go dumbphone again, enough so to outweigh the annoyances...so far.
I got an email from Google letting me know they are discontinuing Google+ from lack of use. Since I never used it I guess that's right.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm
boskone wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:32 pm
Anianna wrote:

I got an email from Google letting me know they are discontinuing Google+ from lack of use. Since I never used it I guess that's right.
I think I got an email about Google+ being discontinued as well. I never used it, mostly because I never even bothered to check if I had an account on that service.

I think I got one when they rolled out the service because I had a YouTube account, but I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't really matter now since they're ending Google+ anyway.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:58 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:58 am
Hold up. Dude has his brightness slider up top. How?? Mine's on the bottom and it sucks. Gonna have to research that more...

ETA: I still can't figure out how he got it up there. There is an option to get it above notifications, but not above the button grid. I can't figure for the life of me how his is above the button grid and that is definitely where I want mine.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Bear in mind what's shown is a Pixel, so it's the basic platform for the OS. What your manufacturer and carrier change in their custom release may differ a bit. Who's your carrier?

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Pie > Oreo?

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Since it's looking like a useful, productive discussion of the current Android release I split this off from the CHAT thread in OT and put it here in Communications.

boskone

Re: Pie > Oreo?

Post by boskone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm using Lineage OS rather than the manufacturer ROM or AOSP:

The clock's moved, which is vaguely annoying in isolation. I expect it was to make room for notches, but it should be a configuration. I like it better--being notchless--to have notifications on the left and system info on the right. Screw notches, I'd rather have bezels anyway.

The Pixel Launcher doesn't work. I'm using Trebuchet, which is working fine, and might give Lawnchair a swing.

Unlike (IIRC) Ani, my brightness control is above the grid. The grid is ludicrously oversized, as are most things. I have pretty large hands--XL mens--but never had much of a problem poking the right buttons, so I don't really see why.

All that said the part I really, really dislike is that they made the "hints" on the lockscreen larger and longer-lasting. There's a large white circle every time I poke a password button, which can only make it easier for shoulder-spies to figure out what I'm typing, but without any noticeable benefit to the user (me).

Disappointingly, you still can't "chain" security. I'd really like to be able to do things like be able to use a fingerprint+pin for relatively rapid logins (both, instead of either/or), or failing that (e.g. if I die and someone needs access) fall back to a nice long password.

All in all, while there are some technical benefits I feel the UI is a regression from Oreo.

Return to “Communications”