Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Why would anyone think those places are good to go?
Just look at black friday when society is NOT enduring any type of disaster.

Some people only care about the latest and greatest technology on the market. Or in some cases...a toy.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:22 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

It would take sense that liability issues, social media grilling, wider threats of boycott, and maybe feeling the police are more useful elsewhere, all played a part.

Also, at this point what is done is done. Prevention is needed. Once prevention fails, maybe just let the police do other things?

My guesses.
I agree, at this point the losses are likely covered by insurance (assuming they are not self insured). They probably view it as a sunk cost. Once the looting starts it likely is just that.

My comment is simply watch the behavior and remember this. You should assume this is not an isolated instance of this behavior.
My thought is that by asking the police to not intervene then they nullified any insurance coverage they might have had for this. Insurance companies always want someone to go after to get as much of their payout back as possible.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm

It would be covered. The justification was the extra danger posed by stopping the looters. The property damage policy may want the looting stopped but the GL carrier will not want anyone hurt on the property.

Couple that with the bad PR that comes with shooting looters and it can be reasonabl. That said by the time the authorities likely arrived it is probable the store was already throughly looted.

It was likely already looted well before then.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Got it the first time. :wink:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 am

Makes you wonder just how many of the people who don't evacuate are criminals betting on surviving the storm and hitting jackpot on the looter lottery.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 am

flybynight wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 am
Makes you wonder just how many of the people who don't evacuate are criminals betting on surviving the storm and hitting jackpot on the looter lottery.
That would require thinking ahead, hence the first failure.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 am

I dunno. I think we've all worked with people who would argue for half an hour to get out of five minutes of work

John Titor was right

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm
That said by the time the authorities likely arrived it is probable the store was already throughly looted.

That was definitely the case based on SCBrian's linked video in his post on the previous page of this thread. It's worth a watch, for its tragi-comedic/make-your-blood-boil entertainment value.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm
It would be covered. The justification was the extra danger posed by stopping the looters. The property damage policy may want the looting stopped but the GL carrier will not want anyone hurt on the property.

Couple that with the bad PR that comes with shooting looters and it can be reasonable. That said by the time the authorities likely arrived it is probable the store was already thoroughly looted.

This thought process could also be extended to private citizens staying away from any attempts to stop looters on other folks' properties. Maybe an exception would be in an extreme instance where looters try to set fire to that property and the fire might burn out your own home or business.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Family Dollar, Wilmington, NC - September 2018 after a minor Hurricane.
I wonder if the reporter would be shocked if some thug started beating on her and the camera person?

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm
SCBrian wrote:
I wonder if the reporter would be shocked if some thug started beating on her and the camera person?
All I know is she's either got brass knockers bigger than mine below her belt or is just naive. I know I wouldn;t even approach the scene of a looting frenzy, especially if I couldn't blend in, let alone ask them if they had a moment to stop looting to talk on camera... :ooh:

I saw a few other videos taken (Gotta love the demographic that feels the need to record themselves committing felonies) And cops would approach and continue driving by. Tapping the siren once or twice in passing.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm
teotwaki wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
All I know is she's either got brass knockers bigger than mine below her belt or is just naive. I know I wouldn;t even approach the scene of a looting frenzy, especially if I couldn't blend in, let alone ask them if they had a moment to stop looting to talk on camera... :ooh:

I saw a few other videos taken (Gotta love the demographic that feels the need to record themselves committing felonies) And cops would approach and continue driving by. Tapping the siren once or twice in passing.
I think the real danger here is in the police showing that they simply will not stop or try and control looting. That's going to get somebody killed because someone is going to say, "Well, if the police won't protect my store/house/stuff then I'll do it myself with my 12 gauge.

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I think the initial thought is like the 'leave your car unlocked so they won't break the window'. If you try to stop looting you'll just start a riot and instead of the end result being an empty store you'll have a burned down store. The building probably is worth more than the contents so they want to minimize damage, so they thought is don't piss off the looters and have them destroy the place.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm
SCBrian wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

I think the real danger here is in the police showing that they simply will not stop or try and control looting. That's going to get somebody killed because someone is going to say, "Well, if the police won't protect my store/house/stuff then I'll do it myself with my 12 gauge.
Other than the newer vehicles. That could be Los Angeles in 92. Some area's the only stores that survived were the ones protected by the armed store owners. Police response, neighborhood looters, lack of services. Everything all FUBAR, really puts it all in perspective and the certainty that when faced with this type of situation , better make the right descions quickly.

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 am

eugene wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm
I think the initial thought is like the 'leave your car unlocked so they won't break the window'. If you try to stop looting you'll just start a riot and instead of the end result being an empty store you'll have a burned down store. The building probably is worth more than the contents so they want to minimize damage, so they thought is don't piss off the looters and have them destroy the place.
There is logic to that position. An undamaged but looted store can be up and running making sales in about 24 to 48 hours. A burned down and gutted store loses sales for 6 months to a year. The value of the store is in the gross margin on sales it makes. The inventory does have value but nothing like the gross margin from 6 months worth of sales.

The fact that a business has to make this decision sucks but that is the world in which we live today. Stay a way from retail stores during a disaster. You do this by planning ahead.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 am
eugene wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm
There is logic to that position. An undamaged but looted store can be up and running making sales in about 24 to 48 hours. A burned down and gutted store loses sales for 6 months to a year. The value of the store is in the gross margin on sales it makes. The inventory does have value but nothing like the gross margin from 6 months worth of sales.

The fact that a business has to make this decision sucks but that is the world in which we live today. Stay a way from retail stores during a disaster. You do this by planning ahead.
The value of the inventory and the relationship of that number to the 6-month gross margin number depends entirely on the cost of the inventory and the margin percentage. A large inventory of low margin items, like say a dollar store's inventory of, quite likely, tens of thousands of units, maybe even hundreds of thousands, might actually cost a lot more to replace than 6 months gross margins. The profits for such stores usually center around buying in vast quantities of non-perishable small items that can be held in-store. It might take 5 years to sell those 6 cases of pencil erasers that you make a 2 cent profit per unit on, but you will eventually get your $35 profit from them. Meanwhile, the mattress store down the street with an inventory of under 500 units but a 65% markup over cost, their losses in inventory in relation to 6-months gross margin are going to be less.

Moot point though really because there's not much choice that the owners have.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm

After the LA riots a lot of stores were never rebuilt. Same is true in Baltimore although less so. The economy was doing better and the city threw buckets of cash at businesses to stay.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

SCBrian wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

Maybe I didn't see all of the video (I remember watching it up the point where the police arrived), but what I saw weren't exactly dangerously threatening thugs. They struck me as pretty sheepish about it, at least when the female reporter and her camera man showed up. Refusing to make eye contact, pulling tee shirts over their faces. They knew what they were doing was wrong, they just didn't give a f*ck.

I suspect the distinguishing factor here is what I alluded to earlier: these aren't desperate people fighting over life sustaining supplies. They're just low lifes (sorry, but I'm calling a spade a spade here) who were taking advantage of an opportunity to score some free shit. The desperation (and potential for violent behavior) usually sets in around day three. Otherwise I completely agree with the general guidance to stay, far, far away from looting and/or angry hordes.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm
After the LA riots a lot of stores were never rebuilt.
The truth is far more complex. Before the riots the residents of South Central (now called South L.A.) started efforts to rid the area of some of the more than 700 liquor stores, a blight on their community. Ultimately the riots destroyed 30% of them and another 800 buildings.

Even before the riots the face of South LA was turning from black to brown and today the area is less than 30% black. Despite the usual media sound bites about crime in the area there were positive effects:

"As much as African Americans lamented the loss of a traditionally black community, the Latin Americanization of South Los Angeles was an economically advantageous development. “What salvaged Los Angeles in the mid-1990s,” the journalist Lou Cannon has argued, “was a burst of economic activity led by Latino immigrants.” 12 The infusion of Mexican and Latin American families, who appear to have a high rate of labor force participation, produced an increase in the purchasing power in those communities. Harvard economist Michael Porter, founder of the Initiative for a Competitive Inner City, who has been focusing on inner-city purchasing power for the last decade, assessed in 2006 that inner-city residents in the United States spent $122 billion on retail annually. 13 In the first decade of the 21st century, developers and retailers have responded to rising Latino purchasing power by building stores, malls and housing in areas once regarded as risky for cautious investors. In South Los Angeles today you will find about a dozen Starbucks, those ubiquitous bellwethers of discretionary income.

https://placesjournal.org/article/20-ye ... les-riots/

Not a great place to live but definitely not a zombified city full of 20 year old burned out buildings. The burned out buildings are more recent.... :v:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm
After the LA riots a lot of stores were never rebuilt.
The truth is far more complex. Before the riots the residents of South Central (now called South L.A.) started efforts to rid the area of some of the more than 700 liquor stores, a blight on their community. Ultimately the riots destroyed 30% of them and another 800 buildings.

Even before the riots the face of South LA was turning from black to brown and today the area is less than 30% black. Despite the usual media sound bites about crime in the area there were positive effects:

"As much as African Americans lamented the loss of a traditionally black community, the Latin Americanization of South Los Angeles was an economically advantageous development. “What salvaged Los Angeles in the mid-1990s,” the journalist Lou Cannon has argued, “was a burst of economic activity led by Latino immigrants.” 12 The infusion of Mexican and Latin American families, who appear to have a high rate of labor force participation, produced an increase in the purchasing power in those communities. Harvard economist Michael Porter, founder of the Initiative for a Competitive Inner City, who has been focusing on inner-city purchasing power for the last decade, assessed in 2006 that inner-city residents in the United States spent $122 billion on retail annually. 13 In the first decade of the 21st century, developers and retailers have responded to rising Latino purchasing power by building stores, malls and housing in areas once regarded as risky for cautious investors. In South Los Angeles today you will find about a dozen Starbucks, those ubiquitous bellwethers of discretionary income.

https://placesjournal.org/article/20-ye ... les-riots/

Not a great place to live but definitely not a zombified city full of 20 year old burned out buildings. The burned out buildings are more recent.... :v:
Funny, when I googled that I found a Starbucks on Century Blvd near Crenshaw Blvd and... Nothing else in South Central L À.
I worked in South Central in late 70s to mid 80s. Most of those liquor stores were just small mom n pop markets. There was so many because other than
ABC markets there basically were no chain supermarkets and hadn't been since the Watts riots. When I googled grocery stores I found five Kroger stores scattered from South Bay to Hollywood/Koreatown. The ABC chain has apparently vanished from Los Angeles and dwindled to a couple stores in Orange county. Google showed none of the small chains like Ron's, R Ranch, Pioneer and no independent markets. I dunno maybe Google broke, or the store's don't advertise their location . Maybe I should have searched El Mercado. But it hardly lends creedance to that article.

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 am

flybynight wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm
Funny, when I googled that I found a Starbucks on Century Blvd near Crenshaw Blvd and... Nothing else in South Central L À.
I worked in South Central in late 70s to mid 80s. Most of those liquor stores were just small mom n pop markets. There was so many because other than ABC markets there basically were no chain supermarkets and hadn't been since the Watts riots. When I googled grocery stores I found five Kroger stores scattered from South Bay to Hollywood/Koreatown. The ABC chain has apparently vanished from Los Angeles and dwindled to a couple stores in Orange county. Google showed none of the small chains like Ron's, R Ranch, Pioneer and no independent markets. I dunno maybe Google broke, or the store's don't advertise their location . Maybe I should have searched El Mercado. But it hardly lends creedance to that article.
Might be that the Googling should be based on "South Los Angeles" and not "South Central". Also look at the borders of the area in a map

Then check a Starbucks map and it is more like this

(262)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 5857 S Central Ave
Iconic Seattle-based coffeehouse chain
Open until 12:00 AM
Starbucks

(143)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1111 S Grand Ave
Open until 8:00 PM
Starbucks

(290)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3584 S Figueroa St #1b
Open until 10:00 PM
Starbucks

(264)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1850 W Slauson Ave
Starbucks

(20)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3201 S Hoover St #1820
Open until 11:30 PM
Starbucks

(354)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3722 Crenshaw Blvd
Open until 11:00 PM
Starbucks

(377)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1401 S Alameda St
Starbucks Coffee

(183)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1789 W Jefferson Blvd
Starbucks

(357)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1437 E Gage Ave
Starbucks

(31)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3535 S La Cienega Blvd
Opens at 8:00 AM
Starbucks

(22)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 400 W Olympic Blvd
Starbucks

(37)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1025 WEST 34TH ST., KINGS HALL 1ST FLOOR
Open until 5:00 PM
Starbucks

(314)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3351 W Century Blvd
Starbucks

(24)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 642 W 34th St
Open until 7:00 PM
Starbucks

(54)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3131 S Hoover St #9-A
Starbucks

(225)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 1730 W Manchester Ave
Open until 9:00 PM
Starbucks

(239)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 3344 S La Cienega Blvd
Open until 9:00 PM
Starbucks

(218)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 300 E 9th St
Open until 6:30 PM
Starbucks

(378)
$$ · Coffee Shop · 603 S Spring St

As for grocery markets, 30 year memories don't match the current landscape anywhere. Otherwise you'd still be shopping at SavOns, GemCo, White Front and all of those other failed chains.

Currently in South Los Angeles you can shop at a lot of major chains: Ralphs, Food4Less etc. so the article is credible

Superior Grocers
4.0 (365) · Grocery Store
Grocery store chain stocking tortillas, international foods, takeaway fare & more.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 750-1575

Ralphs
4.0 (352) · $$ · Grocery Store
Crenshaw Plaza Center
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 293-0171

Ralphs
4.0 (756) · $$ · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 750-3151

Food 4 Less
4.2 (1,046) · $ · Grocery Store
No-frills supermarket chain stocking a wide selection of bulk grocery items, produce & more.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 757-1257

Superior Grocers
4.1 (511) · Grocery Store
Grocery store chain stocking tortillas, international foods, takeaway fare & more.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 294-4309

Smart & Final
4.1 (265) · $$ · Grocery Store
Warehouse-like supermarket chain for produce, meats & packaged foods, plus discounts on bulk items.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 758-5734
Organic products · Great produce

Food 4 Less
4.0 (911) · $ · Grocery Store
No-frills supermarket chain stocking a wide selection of bulk grocery items, produce & more.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 846-8895
Open ⋅ Closes 12AM

Superior Grocers
3.7 (169) · Grocery Store
Vermont Slauson
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 541-0107
Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

Vons
4.0 (816) · Grocery Store
SoCal supermarket staple for groceries, produce & deli items, plus personal care, home goods & more.
Inglewood, CA
(310) 677-0286
Open ⋅ Closes 1AM

Superior Grocers
3.9 (466) · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 750-1575
Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

Superior Grocers
3.7 (472) · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 241-6789
Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

Stone's Grocery & Market
4.2 (41) · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 751-5526
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM

El Super
4.1 (664) · Grocery Store
Supermarket chain selling produce, dairy, meat & other familiar grocery items.
Inglewood, CA
(310) 672-3210
Open ⋅ Closes 11PM

Food 4 Less
4.0 (623) · $ · Grocery Store
Chesterfield Square
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 293-1369
Open ⋅ Closes 12AM

Wey Up Market
3.0 (3) · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 570-1566
Open ⋅ Closes 9PM

Ralphs
4.0 (548) · $$ · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 757-4147
Open ⋅ Closes 11PM
Ralphs
4.1 (857) · $$ · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 292-0633
Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

Food 4 Less
4.1 (901) · $ · Grocery Store
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 735-8317
Open ⋅ Closes 12AM

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 am

Come on gang this thread already takes hours to read. Please do not turn this into a chat thread. If you want to continue this discussion set up a new thread and I will move the conversation over to it.

Thank you. Staying on topic will be appreciated.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I didnt realize people thought bugging out to Wal Mart was a good idea...lol...that is about as bright as the people who plan on storming Army bases for supplies.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 pm

JF89 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 pm
I didnt realize people thought bugging out to Wal Mart was a good idea...lol...that is about as bright as the people who plan on storming Army bases for supplies.
Depends on the type of Apoc... If there's a rapture like scenario where everyone disappears, that's where I'm going first. Then to the Lexus dealership. Then to helicopter store.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”