Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by moab » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 pm
Update: Didn't do much work this weekend. Only worked Sunday and got a lot of dirt moved. I wanted to try and clean up the piles I had created so I didn't have to make a bunch of trips down the hill to drop the dirt off the drop off. I moved about 30 bucket loads of dirt down and was able to extend the plateau out another 5' This is becoming more and more useful it's getting further out and I can start using this as a real dump for debris! Hurray! I did clear the final cut out and level it out. So now the road is a complete pull through design! I need to take a few more small trees out and this will actually be an actual proper looking drive way! I wanted to move the dirt because a storm was expected to come in, and sure enough Sunday night, we got about an 1 1/2 of rain, which is great the dirt was becoming so light and so dry it was almost like talc powder. I've already changed my air filter 2 times and I've only got 70 hours or so on the tractor.

The rest of the weekend was spent on a work function and canning. Made a few gallons of salsa and canned the juice to be used as soup base. Nothing better than salsa juice used as soup base!

I'm always looking for winter projects because I hate not doing anything. So I decided that this winter I'm going to be building myself a trommel soil screen. I've got access to steel drums for free, I've got lots scrap steels and some scare metal tubing. The design will be based off this(edit moved it to the bottom), with some modifications. Mine will have 3 barrels in order to separate the dirt better once it's gone through. I'm going to have 1/2", 1 1/2-2", and the larger stuff come out the end. This will be dirt, aggregate, and rocks for building material/crushed to gravel. I'll eventually build a rock jaw crusher as well because I've got so damn man rocks that it's absurd. I have almost no soil every bucket I dig into the ground comes out with 2-3 double fist size rocks. Grand parents had so many rocks when they build the house that they build 2 "dry creek beds" on the property the first is about 150' long the other 200' these are 4+' wide and have a couple layers of rocks. If I can start crushing my own with the near endless amount of rock on the property. In fact the gravel mill that went out of business said there was $15 million worth of gravel on the property.

I start my 2 weeks vacation on Saturday I'll be doing a big push to get the road widened and cleared out. I'll be buying a box scraper sometime next week to grade it properly. Once that's done it'll be time for gravel. Once this is done we'll start looking at trailers again and hopefully figure out what we like and what has best reviews.

Great work! I plan to do the same or similar outside of Granite Falls. Hopefully this year. Originally from Darrington. But spent many years downtown Seattle and LA. Time to move back.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm
Great work! I plan to do the same or similar outside of Granite Falls. Hopefully this year. Originally from Darrington. But spent many years downtown Seattle and LA. Time to move back.
Awesome! Though I'm a little hesitant to promote WA as much as I used to with nearly certain passage of I-1639 (it's political, look it up if you're curious). But I do love the climate, generally the people are fantastic, we've got great resources, and overall it's a great place to live.

I hope to see you at some of the local ZS005 meetings (usually have 1 or 2 a year) we also have some camp outs with an off shoot of the not so crazy members of ZS005.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm
Awesome! Though I'm a little hesitant to promote WA as much as I used to with nearly certain passage of I-1639 (it's political, look it up if you're curious). But I do love the climate, generally the people are fantastic, we've got great resources, and overall it's a great place to live.

I hope to see you at some of the local ZS005 meetings (usually have 1 or 2 a year) we also have some camp outs with an off shoot of the not so crazy members of ZS005.
That law would make things quite difficult. Not as bad as I thought. But still. A very slippery slope. I'm sure WA liberals would like to see guns banned. AT least it's not CA. Which is where my unfortunate soul is now. lol. I think this WA law is all about defining the assault weapon. Or more closely makes the AR15 an "assault rifle". For future legislation.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Changes ALL semi auto guns as "semi automatic assault weapon", also charges a $25 tax on all gun sales with no cap to how much they can charge, along with other stupid things. I'm pretty liberal, but none of this is "common sense" we currently have some of the strictest gun laws as far as backgrounds, we also have one of the lowest for gun crime. Washington (especially the western side) is one of the most highly educated in the country, yet they let emotions cloud facts and wont hear anything different. Many of my friends are included in that statement, but many more are starting to come around and realizing that firearms are not that dangerous, as long as you have half an ounce of mental fortitude.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm

*cough* politics *cough*
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm
*cough* politics *cough*
Agreed.

Having said that. I will stick to the law. And not politics.

I'm in the same situation Halfapint. All of my liberal friends which are most of my friends. Think the same way.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm
*cough* politics *cough*
Hey, I tried to skirt the politics I may have jump once or twice on that. But I left it alone. Mostly talking about a law that will get passed here in WA. :v:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Well had the last 2 weeks off. I had planned to spend nearly every day up on the property getting the road done. Long story short the road is no longer a priority because things got extended out a bit longer so we don't have to rush to get everything finished. This is good because I haven't been able to get the trench dug for the septic, so this affords me more time.

Priorities switched to building a new woodshed. I had found some pieces of corrugated roofing under 30 years of over growth a few months back and they were in great shape except one which was messed up pretty good. So got the wood and tried to build it as best I could you would when you were framing a house. Got everything square and ready to put the roof on, welp, like the idiot I am, I measured a single piece of the roofing and said ok x5 = 10'..... So yep, built it and realized I didn't account for the over lap, I was 6 or so inches short. so had to take the legs and move them in and yea. what should have been a quick day or so project turned into 2 days of crap. I built this one extremely large its 10'-12' because this is going to be used for my splitting area as well. That way I can cut rounds, load into the loader bucket, dump them under the shelter, split them, and stack them all while being protected from the elements, this will be really nice for 80% of the year here.

On the plus side, got 12 gallons of apple cider pressed with my homemade press. Extracted 5 gallons of honey from my hives (only 1 produced), going into winter I'm hoping that they will all survive. Built an entire floor for my GF's best friend, took me 2 days to cut everything and install it. Hooked the LED lights up to the tractor, tied them into the actual headlight switch. Got lots of little projects finished, various things like weed whacking, maintenance stuff, and cleaning. Started in on the trommel project as well. Bought a cheap harbor freight welder for the project. So spent some time getting back into welding, just worked on some scrap metal. Once the wood is all finished I'll start really working on the trommel.

Mom had a retaining wall built, so brought the supplies because the place we bought them from is close to the property. Learned a lot about how to build a retaining wall. I was thinking of building one to hold back the dirt around the shelter that covers the truck and tractor. They gave me some good ideas and sand they'd come out and help put the first layer down because that's the critical one to make everything else line up.

Sorry long post, I tend to ramble.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Worked on the wood shed. I put a couple pieces of couregated roofing inbwteeen the two at a downward angle so the water flows away from the wood. Also been using scrap pieces of 4x4 I’m finding around the property, at my moms, or on the internet to make pillars so I don’t have to keep doing the log cabins at the end. I suck at it. I just can’t get them to stay. But also because it requires me to split them smaller. The furnace is large so bigger pieces are better, less stoking of the fire.

Couple of pics. The old wood shed roof is really starting to fail, and there’s been who knows how many years of biomass on top of it. It was so thick and so decomposed that small chestnut trees were growing.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”