Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Weekly update:

Only got to spend 2 days on property was hoping for all 3, but mom had her birthday so spend the day helping her. Got the last few trees downed, delimbed, sectioned, moved to the processing area where they were bucked and split. Had help Yesterday which was amazing. GF's mom came out with one of her cousins and we were able to get the woodshed stacked to the brim. It's probably closed to 15 cord, with a pile of at least another 5+

I'll be digging the stumps out next week and once the last couple in the way are dug the road should be finished. After that it'll be some what easy work of widening it. I want the majority of the road about 20ft wide so we can use it as a back up parking lot as well as having room for the camper. Things are almost right on schedule, a day here or there but the road should be completed by the time I expected which was mid to late August. That'll give me a few weeks to grade it and get gravel in there.

The only thing I'm worrying about now is connecting to the septic. Not because it's hard, but because I realize now how many giant boulders there are. I was going to run a trench digger and cover it with about 5" of soil. but now I don't know if a trench digger can get through all the rocks.

Anyone have any experience with trench diggers? I'm talking the small ones that you walk behind. I wont be able to get anything bigger than that to the areas I need.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 am

Update:

This week was a bust. Sunday I got up late. I was exhausted and forgot to sent my alarm. Woke up at around 10 (usually up by 7 maybe 8), I got things together and headed up. I see the shainsaw sharpener up and got to work. Sharpened all my chains in an hour or so. I then made a hanging rack for the various lengths. I’ve got 18”, 20”, 28”, and 36” so having an easy way of organizing I figured is important.

Monday came and I read that with teriffs kicking in cars/trucks may be going up in price shortly. So the gf and I decided it was time to buy the truck. We bit the bullet pooled our savings, and asked the grand parents for a little help and bought ourselves in cash (we’ll check) a new pickemup truck.

We love it’s, it’s perfect for what we need. However me being me, I can’t let anything along, I joked about making a short box dually, the gf laughed and said let’s do it! :lol: so maybe we’ll do that soon maybe not.

Today (Tuesday) was maintanance day. Her oil and brakes needed to be replaced so I did that. We were also at the 50 hour mark on the tractor, so I decided we’d start a regular mantanance interval of 50 hours (hey! That’s what the recommend as well! Shocking!) so I bough the kit, it was $125 bucks. Comes with 3 oil filters, 1 fuel filter, one air filter, 4 qts of oil, and an O ring. Once all the maintanance was done we took the new Truck home to wait for her best friend to fly in. She came in from Germany since they were stationed there. We picked her and her daughter up and spend the rest of the evening with friends and family.

It was a bust of a week for work, but we got critical stuff done and got to see a friend we have seen in over a year. It was still a good week.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ILFE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1984 version), Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by ILFE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am

You'll have to forgive me. I haven't kept up with truck models in the US for about 20 years. What is it? Ford? Size? Petrol? Diesel?
Paul

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm

ILFE wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am
You'll have to forgive me. I haven't kept up with truck models in the US for about 20 years. What is it? Ford? Size? Petrol? Diesel?
Yes, Ford F250 XLT 6.7l diesel, 450hp/935tq. It'll be used to haul the 5th wheel, 20' flat bed trailer, camping, and if the need ever arises, BOV.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm
ILFE wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am
Yes, Ford F250 XLT 6.7l diesel, 450hp/935tq. It'll be used to haul the 5th wheel, 20' flat bed trailer, camping, and if the need ever arises, BOV.
:clap:

Q: What makes for a 'better' off road TT?

ILFE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1984 version), Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by ILFE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm
Yes, Ford F250 XLT 6.7l diesel, 450hp/935tq.
Sweet truck, for sure. Thanks.
Paul

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Sorry MP, I don't follow. What do you mean?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm
Sorry MP, I don't follow. What do you mean?
TT = Travel Trailer.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm
TT = Travel Trailer.
OOOOH! Gotcha. You know I don't really know, if we are going to be going offroad I don't really see us using a trailer, I may end up making a frame to go around the bed so we can use the bed as..... a bed? :awesome: But we both actually prefer hammocks and where we go has lots of trees. If I were going to get an offroad trailer I'd look into something like teotwaki has in the BOV thread (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6107&start=1752). That rig looks like a pretty sweet set up! The 5th wheel will be what we end up living in for a while. So it wont be moving much to begin with, however we do plan on going some traveling with it to hit up yellowstone, grand canyon, moab and other natural wonders.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
TT = Travel Trailer.
OOOOH! Gotcha. You know I don't really know, if we are going to be going offroad I don't really see us using a trailer, I may end up making a frame to go around the bed so we can use the bed as..... a bed? :awesome: But we both actually prefer hammocks and where we go has lots of trees. If I were going to get an offroad trailer I'd look into something like teotwaki has in the BOV thread (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6107&start=1752). That rig looks like a pretty sweet set up! The 5th wheel will be what we end up living in for a while. So it wont be moving much to begin with, however we do plan on going some traveling with it to hit up yellowstone, grand canyon, moab and other natural wonders.
I'll just leave this here...

viewtopic.php?f=45&p=2707429#p2707429
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:18 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
TT = Travel Trailer.
I'll just leave this here...

viewtopic.php?f=45&p=2707429#p2707429
How'd you link right to his post? But yeah teotwaki has a great rig

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:12 pm

The title of every post (just above the "posted by" and the date and time) is a link to that specific post. Just right click and copy the link then paste it where you need it.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Yes. teotwaki has a boss setup. I will need space & facilities for muh cat. He has always been an indoor cat, & I aim to keep it that way. A travel traier (TT) is *SO* much more affordable that even a Class B+ motorhome (Roadtrek/Sportsmobile).

I'm like raptor. If my cat isn't welcome, then neither am I. Also, same with my shootin' irons. (Screw 'em emoji).

NT: Thank you for the pro tip. :D

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:25 am

Man, it's funny. I havent looked at this thread in forever - I take a peek and you're doing almost the same thing I've been up to: buying a stihl chainsaw (mine was a stihl farm boss 20), clearing land, renting equipment and these last two weeks I finished up using a mini excavator and a stump grinder.

The one relevant piece of advice I can give is to sell your logs to the lumber mill. Cut them up into 17 foot lengths to maximize what they're worth but still be able to move them around. I know a guy who will charge you 400 bucks per load to load up his truck, take them to the mill, and do the mill paperwork for you. I had one load worth and I made 900 bucks from the lumber so came out 500 ahead.

I also installed a 10k superwinch to the truck which allowed me to drag logs all the way over from the far side of the property to the roadside where the log guy could pick them up. I also used it to tension trees to make them fall where I wanted. When tensioning trees use boat anchor line. Its like a giant rubber band and so will continue to pull even after the tree has started to fall and so continues to guide it.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Maast wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:25 am
Man, it's funny. I havent looked at this thread in forever - I take a peek and you're doing almost the same thing I've been up to: buying a stihl chainsaw (mine was a stihl farm boss 20), clearing land, renting equipment and these last two weeks I finished up using a mini excavator and a stump grinder.

The one relevant piece of advice I can give is to sell your logs to the lumber mill. Cut them up into 17 foot lengths to maximize what they're worth but still be able to move them around. I know a guy who will charge you 400 bucks per load to load up his truck, take them to the mill, and do the mill paperwork for you. I had one load worth and I made 900 bucks from the lumber so came out 500 ahead.

I also installed a 10k superwinch to the truck which allowed me to drag logs all the way over from the far side of the property to the roadside where the log guy could pick them up. I also used it to tension trees to make them fall where I wanted. When tensioning trees use boat anchor line. Its like a giant rubber band and so will continue to pull even after the tree has started to fall and so continues to guide it.
Great to hear from you Maast! I had some guys from some outfit offer me some money for some of the trees on the land. I declined because they wanted my 2 giant cedars, and I don't want to get rid of them right now. All the wood I'm cutting is going to firewood, I've got over 12 cords right now and need to build a new wood shed before fall. Once I get the 2 filled up I plan on selling some of the larger firs that I plan to cut to get the lower part of the property opened up for use. I'm looking at a 10-12k wench to make myself a "ghetto" yoder. attach it to the bucket of my tractor raise it up all the way and pull logs out where I cant get the tractor. I've got a the new truck and I'm looking at a 17-20' double axle trailer for moving things. I've got a few people who want me to cut and clear some of their land, those logs will be sent to the mill as well.

On to the good news! We finally made the final cut and were able to drive the tractor all the way through! We aren't done, we've got a lot of clearing, cleaning, and widening of the road yet. Of course after we've done all this work, the grandparents are looking to move out here shortly. This is ok, It's actually good we did all this work even if we don't end up living in the trailer for now. There's very little room to park, in fact the truck is blocking most of the parking area around the garage. So if we don't end up getting a 5th wheel, we will use this as extra parking, for guests, the trailer (mentioned above) we are about to buy, and we may end up starting a beekeeping supply and that's where the "store" front will be so people don't come down by the house (this is a few years from now).

I've got 15sep-2oct off the big plans for my vacation will be getting everything done! I just rolled over 70 hours on the tractor and have put 20 gallons of fuel into it. I think the average RPM on it has been about 2200, so I'm getting 3.5h/gal which I think is pretty darn great! I'm very impressed with this tractor, I'm glad I got the 324 over the 224, the few grand more was well worth it as I do not think I could have done this with anything smaller.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm looking at a 10-12k wench
Does your SO know about this? That's an awful cheap wench too. My wenches generally have cost me a lot more. Heck, I had to give one of them a house. (But she was soooo worth it.) :awesome:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm looking at a 10-12k wench
Does your SO know about this? That's an awful cheap wench too. My wenches generally have cost me a lot more. Heck, I had to give one of them a house. (But she was soooo worth it.) :awesome:
Buhahahahahaha..... It's even more funny because I'm listening to Alestorm and they sing about wenches and drinking. So it was probably a slip from listening to them. By the way, GREAT band if you want to get into the genre of Pirate Metal XD

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 am
Halfapint wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm
PICS!

super jealous, heavy equipment makes that much work almost sound like fun!
You have a good host sharing site? I’ve checked out a few but none seem to allow for pic resizing. Would love to upload some!
Imgur allows for resizing when linking to images. You get a choice of a few "standard" sizes, ranging from small square:

up to the original size in 8 steps. I find the "large thumbnail" size works best:

and they even provide two styles of bbcode pre-applied to the link so it's literally just cut and paste.
Can you explain this in more detail? I currently use an imgur Chrome app to right click on any image and upload to my imgur acct. But then I have to go in manually and change the pic size to fit here. No longer than 849 on any one side. What you describe is an automatic way of resizing. I would love to learn that. It would cut my editing time way down. As you have to navigate thru the site in a silly way as you edit.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:53 pm
Can you explain this in more detail? I currently use an imgur Chrome app to right click on any image and upload to my imgur acct. But then I have to go in manually and change the pic size to fit here. No longer than 849 on any one side. What you describe is an automatic way of resizing. I would love to learn that. It would cut my editing time way down. As you have to navigate thru the site in a silly way as you edit.
I have a computer but I am rarely on it (don't think it's even been booted up since Jan). I could not figure out a way to do it on mobile app or on the website. I ended up using Smugmug and paid for the year of it as it was the easiest way I could find to upload photos.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 pm
moab wrote:
I have a computer but I am rarely on it (don't think it's even been booted up since Jan). I could not figure out a way to do it on mobile app or on the website. I ended up using Smugmug and paid for the year of it as it was the easiest way I could find to upload photos.
Ya. I've done a lot of research just getting imgur to work as well as it does now. If I could find an easy resize method. I'd stick with it. If not, I could be tempted...easily.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm

moab wrote:
Sure. I'm about to get in the shower now but later before bed, I'll see if I can't walk through it and do a screen capture of the exact steps for you.

Edited in later:

Okay, so first things first, open the imgur site in a tab, then find your imgur name on the upper right and hover over it, then click "images" to take you to your images:

Then click on the image you want to use, choose the size you want on the bottom right, then click "Copy" for the BBcode version you want to use. That copies it to your clipboard.

Then come here to the message you want to put the image in and just ctrl-v to paste the link and the BBcode.

Viola!

(I tried to do this as a video but kept getting interrupted by Imgur notifications because a comment I made was getting a lot of responses, so you get jpgs instead)

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm
moab wrote:
Sure. I'm about to get in the shower now but later before bed, I'll see if I can't walk through it and do a screen capture of the exact steps for you.

(I tried to do this as a video but kept getting interrupted by Imgur notifications because a comment I made was getting a lot of responses, so you get jpgs instead)
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! You just saved me so much time.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm
moab wrote:

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! You just saved me so much time.
No problem. Us mods don't just swing that ban hammer all day, we try to be helpful too. :wink:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Update: Didn't do much work this weekend. Only worked Sunday and got a lot of dirt moved. I wanted to try and clean up the piles I had created so I didn't have to make a bunch of trips down the hill to drop the dirt off the drop off. I moved about 30 bucket loads of dirt down and was able to extend the plateau out another 5' This is becoming more and more useful it's getting further out and I can start using this as a real dump for debris! Hurray! I did clear the final cut out and level it out. So now the road is a complete pull through design! I need to take a few more small trees out and this will actually be an actual proper looking drive way! I wanted to move the dirt because a storm was expected to come in, and sure enough Sunday night, we got about an 1 1/2 of rain, which is great the dirt was becoming so light and so dry it was almost like talc powder. I've already changed my air filter 2 times and I've only got 70 hours or so on the tractor.

The rest of the weekend was spent on a work function and canning. Made a few gallons of salsa and canned the juice to be used as soup base. Nothing better than salsa juice used as soup base!

I'm always looking for winter projects because I hate not doing anything. So I decided that this winter I'm going to be building myself a trommel soil screen. I've got access to steel drums for free, I've got lots scrap steels and some scare metal tubing. The design will be based off this(edit moved it to the bottom), with some modifications. Mine will have 3 barrels in order to separate the dirt better once it's gone through. I'm going to have 1/2", 1 1/2-2", and the larger stuff come out the end. This will be dirt, aggregate, and rocks for building material/crushed to gravel. I'll eventually build a rock jaw crusher as well because I've got so damn man rocks that it's absurd. I have almost no soil every bucket I dig into the ground comes out with 2-3 double fist size rocks. Grand parents had so many rocks when they build the house that they build 2 "dry creek beds" on the property the first is about 150' long the other 200' these are 4+' wide and have a couple layers of rocks. If I can start crushing my own with the near endless amount of rock on the property. In fact the gravel mill that went out of business said there was $15 million worth of gravel on the property.

I start my 2 weeks vacation on Saturday I'll be doing a big push to get the road widened and cleared out. I'll be buying a box scraper sometime next week to grade it properly. Once that's done it'll be time for gravel. Once this is done we'll start looking at trailers again and hopefully figure out what we like and what has best reviews.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”