Pathogens in fog?

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Pathogens in fog?

Post by dogbane » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I can see this as a possible vector for a zombie pathogen--either natural ancient pathogens thawing from Siberian permafrost and carried by fog, or a weaponized aerosol.

"But the fog isn’t just a boon to these plants and animals—it may also carry risk. The researchers detected taxonomic groups that include fungal pathogens, though so far they haven’t investigated whether or in what context these microbes might cause disease. There’s a thought that pollutants from water and soil also move through the air in fog, and settle to the ground in places they otherwise wouldn’t reach."

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/w ... inside-fog

Thoughts?
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Pathogens in fog?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:33 pm

I always enjoyed your thought that fungus was going to cause the ZA. Fog is moist, cool, and could easily allow for growth of pathogens. If something happened, and caused a prolonged fog, I could see it carrying something that could cause us harm.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:43 pm

Plus from a story telling perspective, zombie-inducing fungal pathogens insidiously spreading via icy tendrils of fog is fucking cool as shit. :ooh:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Stephen King hinted at it...

...just needs perfected for the ZA. I find it plausible.

Then again, I lean towards viral or drug induced in a future that is a robot controlled dystopia
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm

After last weekend's hurricane Florence, my kid came down with a respiratory illness. It could have been picked up at the doctor's office when he had his wellness check on Tuesday...or the disease might have blown in as the hurricane crossed the hog-and-chicken producing part of my state, picking up viruses and spreading them in the wind and rain. (I don't really think this, but I can imagine a fictional scenario where a storm brings a plague somehow.)
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:53 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:10 pm
Stephen King hinted at it...

...just needs perfected for the ZA. I find it plausible.
The movie was ok but the TV show was just plain awful.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 pm

dogbane wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm
After last weekend's hurricane Florence, my kid came down with a respiratory illness. It could have been picked up at the doctor's office when he had his wellness check on Tuesday...or the disease might have blown in as the hurricane crossed the hog-and-chicken producing part of my state, picking up viruses and spreading them in the wind and rain. (I don't really think this, but I can imagine a fictional scenario where a storm brings a plague somehow.)
bubble burst, it was the doctor's office visit. But a virus crossing the hog / chicken DNA barrier is intriguing. And then going airborne. And the only way of stopping the spread would be a MOAB. Wait .. I feel the need to watch an old movie now.

Return to “Zombie Biology”