8 Survival Myths That Will Definitely Make Things Worse (vid

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

8 Survival Myths That Will Definitely Make Things Worse (vid

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 am

SciShow just did a great video explains:
You might think you know how to survive if you end up stranded in the wild, but those tips you read on the internet might just make things worse! Some tips seem too good to be true, and they are. Others are ingrained enough to be common knowledge, except they’re wrong.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Re: 8 Survival Myths That Will Definitely Make Things Worse

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 21, 2018 5:19 am

I didn't know that about cactus. I have never thought of taking one apart to drink the water but good to know it is not a wise option.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

taipan821

Re: 8 Survival Myths That Will Definitely Make Things Worse

Post by taipan821 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 am

I'm watching this while in western queensland....think tornado alley then turn the heater on. the distinguishing feature is the complete lack of trees, let alone the complete lack of moss for navigation :shock:
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

reyes
BANNED

Re: 8 Survival Myths That Will Definitely Make Things Worse (vid

Post by reyes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 am

there's lots more myths, like a ferrorod is better than a (quality) lighter. It aint, when you;'ve lost the use of one arm/hand, or when you dont have time or materials to make everything nice. You can drip a bit of fluid out of your Zippo and get a fire going under almost any conditions. :-) Like an axe is worth carrying, it aint, since we have folding saws, which are lighter, more compact, safer to use when you're hurt/sick, and more efficient. Like a belt knife is better than a good multi-tool. It aint, cause it can't even begin to do all the things that a multi-tool can do. Like you dont need food for 3 weeks. That's a REAL crock. your performance drops off badly in just 4-5 days with no food, and your brain especially quits working right if you dont get at least a few carbs into it. Fish and game offer no carbs. It may take you 3 days to actually die of lack of water, but your performance measurably suffers in just one HOUR without water, if you're having to really work/think. Like you'll always have materials at hand to make a natural shelter, or a fire, or that you'll have time, or that you wont be so sick/hurt that you cant' manage to do so. That if you can get thru the night, (cold, wet) you'll be ok. Sorry, that beating down of your immune system can easily mean that you catch some disease that you're carrying around with you, like pneumonia, which you can normally beat-off with no problem, but which overwhelms you in your weakened state.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm

reyes wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 am
there's lots more myths, like a ferrorod is better than a (quality) lighter. It aint, when you;'ve lost the use of one arm/hand, or when you dont have time or materials to make everything nice. You can drip a bit of fluid out of your Zippo and get a fire going under almost any conditions. :-) Like an axe is worth carrying, it aint, since we have folding saws, which are lighter, more compact, safer to use when you're hurt/sick, and more efficient. Like a belt knife is better than a good multi-tool. It aint, cause it can't even begin to do all the things that a multi-tool can do. Like you dont need food for 3 weeks. That's a REAL crock. your performance drops off badly in just 4-5 days with no food, and your brain especially quits working right if you dont get at least a few carbs into it. Fish and game offer no carbs. It may take you 3 days to actually die of lack of water, but your performance measurably suffers in just one HOUR without water, if you're having to really work/think. Like you'll always have materials at hand to make a natural shelter, or a fire, or that you'll have time, or that you wont be so sick/hurt that you cant' manage to do so. That if you can get thru the night, (cold, wet) you'll be ok. Sorry, that beating down of your immune system can easily mean that you catch some disease that you're carrying around with you, like pneumonia, which you can normally beat-off with no problem, but which overwhelms you in your weakened state.
I clicked on his name and it says "this user does not exist". lol. What did he do? He seems a bit rough around the edges. But usually posted fairly well thought out stuff that I read. But he must have done something pretty bad. I don't remember the last time I saw someone banned.

I was noticing the other day that they still sell those stupid snake bit suck the venom out rubber things. Like a big pill that you pull in half and squeeze over the wound?!!!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm
reyes wrote:
I clicked on his name and it says "this user does not exist". lol. What did he do? He seems a bit rough around the edges. But usually posted fairly well thought out stuff that I read. But he must have done something pretty bad. I don't remember the last time I saw someone banned.

I was noticing the other day that they still sell those stupid snake bit suck the venom out rubber things. Like a big pill that you pull in half and squeeze over the wound?!!!
It was zantra/longy
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm
reyes wrote:

It was zantra/longy
What?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 pm

He was zantra/longy, back from the other world. Everything added up. The posting style, the opinions, putting sentences in the thread title sections, the love for .22s and making suppressors, the fear of diseases when trading, etc.

All that was missing was the word "cinear," or whatever the .22 converter is.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:12 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 pm
He was zantra/longy, back from the other world. Everything added up. The posting style, the opinions, putting sentences in the thread title sections, the love for .22s and making suppressors, the fear of diseases when trading, etc.

All that was missing was the word "cinear," or whatever the .22 converter is.
IC. lol.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Can crypto or jnathan hunt him down?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:34 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 pm
Why? You want them to dox him or something?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:34 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
No, not doxxing. Complaing to his/her/it's ISP, maybe some kind of better IP blocking. I know how to use a comp & get on the 'net, but I really don't know how these things work, so I don't know exactly what to say. :?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:03 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:34 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
No, not doxxing. Complaing to his/her/it's ISP, maybe some kind of better IP blocking. I know how to use a comp & get on the 'net, but I really don't know how these things work, so I don't know exactly what to say. :?
Complain to his ISP? What, so they'll turn off his interwebs? :rofl:

Its not that big of a deal. He shows up once or twice a year with a new name, its obvious who it is after just a few posts, he gets banned, we have a chuckle, life goes on. Like the Cake vs Pie wars, the Spice Dragon, or a mustache with titties, the cult of Zantra is becoming a part of the fabric of this forum. :crazy:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 am

Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 am

You didn't include the one where he came back a year later under a new handle and argued with himself posted with the old name

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 am
You didn't include the one where he came back a year later under a new handle and argued with himself posted with the old name
That strikes me as being some kind of desperate. SAD!

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:07 am

I saw so many people i havent seen in awhile in those threads. Whatever happened to knightoftheroc? Or oda226?

Zantras post were against the rules. But interesting food for thought. To bad he couldnt control himself. And just tone down what he was trying to convey. The women and children thing was way over the line. But his thoughts on a lot of tactical issues weren't totally crazy. The use of conversion kits is smart. And some of his public sabotage comments made me think. It is pretty easy to start some mayhem. Good points in a counter sabotage kind of vein. But alas not appropriate here. To bad he was or is a crazy drunk. But i just like what if conversations. Makes you think about what you need to protect. My town runs off a water tower. How easy it would be for someone to destroy that is eye opening. And there is absolutely no security for it.

I also loved reading about how cheap and not cheap firearms were back then. And how thinking has changed. No one could afford an ar. So everyone was all about the mini14 and revolvers.

I recently heard a prominent youtuber state hed seen more failures in revolvers than semi autos. Catastrophic failures i should say.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 am

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a current or former member, or even one of the old site staff, getting their jollies by creating these sock puppets. :clownshoes:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 am
It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a current or former member, or even one of the old site staff, getting their jollies by creating these sock puppets. :clownshoes:
I've often wondered the same thing. I've seen it before on other forums most notably Duane Stormrider at Bowsite.com

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:58 pm

I never though Zantra's post were interesting. Not unless you find deranged mania interesting. You can see all that other places.
Shall be my brother

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:18 pm

reyes wrote:
Well not up on who the guy is etc,

But there are some decent points in the post as well as some very opinionated opinions.

1st an axe is useful to carry if you know how to use one well. It will do jobs a saw can not. An Axe can be used as a knife as well as an axe. To think you don't need one now because we have saws is just ignorant of the fact that saws have been around for a very long time. It is not the invention of saws that stopped people using axes, it is the lack of skills in using an axe that stopped people from using them. That said, I suggest both rather than either or. Why limit yourself. A saw and axe work well together.

However yes indeed a lighter is a great fire option rather than a ferro rod a lighter produces actual flame. Though a wise person would carry both. However Zippos tend to be a bad prep as they don't store fuel well. They will dry out even if not in use due to not being well sealed. There are replacement inserts for Zippos to turn them into butane lighters, which store longer and better. I have one for my Zippo. There are even torch lighter inserts. But a standard Bic or Cricket lighter works just as well, or I have Soto Torchs which fit the standard rectangular lighters inside and turn them into torch lighters (as well as conserving the fuel.

Similarly indeed the food issue is on the nose. If you have never gone hungry you would not know it but the reality is your perfomance both mentally and physically is impaired well before the 3 week point. It is the big issue I have with the survival Rule of 3's. The poster is right that in just a few days you are making bad decissions, having trouble with motor corodination, etc... The sad part of this myth is that people don't realize they need to work to secure food early on so they don't loose the ability to do so completely.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Bushcraft”