RationalWiki

We'll be keeping a log of ZS sighting in news and media. If you spot an article about us somewhere post it in here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

RationalWiki

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:11 pm

ZS is mentioned on the RationalWiki page about survivalism. Survivalism

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: RationalWiki

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:12 pm

The zombie apocalypse, though this one is admittedly more of a spoof or a thought experiment (usually). Some survivalists and preparedness groups (such as the Zombie Squad[12]), while not seriously believing in zombies, use a hypothetical zombocalypse as a benchmark for survival, the theory being that, if you can survive zombies, you can survive anything. Using "zombies" as a metaphor for any hypothetical disaster scenario also allows people to talk about survivalism without getting into the sticky political arguments that characterize the movement, as is known to happen when the subject is about, say, economic collapse, terrorism, or nuclear war. Even some quite serious organizations use a zombie apocalypse as a model for various disasters – the Centers for Disease Control, for example, uses it to model the outbreak of a pandemic disease and get people interested in emergency preparedness.[13]
Pretty well sums it up
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

The logic of "bugging out" to a distant rural area to escape the chaos in the cities did not hold up in practice, as major cities like Buenos Aires and Cordoba were often the first places to see order and services restored. By contrast, rural survivalist compounds often found themselves outgunned and outnumbered by criminal gangs with nobody to help them for miles. Many such compounds were later discovered by the authorities looted and abandoned, sometimes with their would-be survivalist owners murdered.
Well that sucks. This references Argentina. Several things pop in my head in response.

1) Some American survivalists have their act together and would be rather hard targets.

2) Many Americans probably think they are hard targets and in fact, they are not.

3) RELATIONSHIPS MATTER!!! PROXIMITY TO NEIGHBORS & FRIENDS MATTERS!!! No lone wolves survive long. Packs are necessary.

4) There is probably something of a data issue here. Authorities probably found the compounds of the less successful survivalists. Successful survivalists probably did not make it into the dataset, so we can't be too confident of this wikipedia post's claims. We can be confident though, that some portion of survivalists were NOT sucessful. Possibly a very high percentage.

5) Make friends! Relationships are some of your best preps.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Well that sucks. This references Argentina. Several things pop in my head in response.

1) Some American survivalists have their act together and would be rather hard targets.

2) Many Americans probably think they are hard targets and in fact, they are not.

3) RELATIONSHIPS MATTER!!! PROXIMITY TO NEIGHBORS & FRIENDS MATTERS!!! No lone wolves survive long. Packs are necessary.

4) There is probably something of a data issue here. Authorities probably found the compounds of the less successful survivalists. Successful survivalists probably did not make it into the dataset, so we can't be too confident of this wikipedia post's claims. We can be confident though, that some portion of survivalists were NOT sucessful. Possibly a very high percentage.

3 and 5 sooooo much! Part of the reason I'm so happy with getting my property is that the grandparents know everyone. People nearby see me working on the property they don't say anything and drive by. Three minutes later they're getting a call say "Oh that's our grandson, next time stop and say hi!" so sure enough I get a greeting and have an instant friend because I'm helping the grandparents.

I've never understood people who buy a chunk of land and think they'll be able to bug out there and make it without knowing anyone. If TV shows and movies tell us anything. The small towns are likely to set up their own security and may legal or not be using your land when you finally make it. A few trips a year and a wave, and a chat would probably be all that's needed.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:29 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Oh yeah. Can't be said enough. That and actual skills. I think repair skills would rock hard.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Compounds work with proper planning, resourcing and preparation for appropriate threats.

Most of the successful compounds I saw in Western Iraq were fully walled with a solid steel gate, had a dedicated full time guard force of at least five guards (total) with each guard armed with a fully automatic rifle and at least one tower with good observation and fields of fire. The compound owner was nearly always hooked in to the local tribal leadership. Defensive planning ranged from former military officers with high levels of planning and training to off the cuff stuff.

Most often when a compound was aggressed and the target of the attack was not the owner specifically the owner would not be there and the compound was left understaffed, the owner having taken his most trusted guards with him. A cell phone call later and the owner could make a call to go to an alternate location of an ally or show up at his compound with his guards to repel the attackers. When the target was the owner.... well that was probably USF or a powerful terrorist group.

If they were being aggressed by US military the response ranged from everyone dropping their weapons on the spot to a spirited defense with even local police sometimes jumping in and getting involved (on the side of the defenders of course) if they were tied in well enough and had everyone paid up. Terror groups often employed suicide bombers or VBIED so there was less defending and more running.

The idea of one or a few people going it alone it is not a good one.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “ZS in the Media”