Is the End Nigh?

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KJ4VOV
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Is the End Nigh?

Post by KJ4VOV » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Today I started to receive email notifications of new posts again.

Thank you to whomever made this possible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
It was Crypto who did that. He was trying to get me back on the system and that was one of the byproducts.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Today I started to receive email notifications of new posts again.

Thank you to whomever made this possible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
It was Crypto who did that. He was trying to get me back on the system and that was one of the byproducts.
Thank you Crypto!
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Now is not the time for this place to go dark. One of the few venues, apolitical, allowing members from the different factions opposing each other in our nation to network ideas and bridge differences for our mutual survival. I have seen the zombies, they are us
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:44 pm

I like the idea of a rally point, I can't begin to count the posts/pages I have Saved from here for future/offline reference. Something like http://zsrp.boards.net might work.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:04 pm

It's been unfortunate seeing this place dwindle. ZS and one other forum are the only to places online I kept going back to year after year. The other forum is basically dead due to some poor decisions by the admins that drove away a large portion of the population. Back several years ago I'd be checking ZS almost daily for new posts on DIY self-sufficiency topics like making your own laundry soap and the like. I could spend a good hour or so reading through all the new posts and discussions.

Nowadays I come on here once every couple weeks, and see little to no new info outside the chat posts.

Like others have said, forums in general are seeing major declines, which is unfortunate. I'm just as guilty, haven't posted anything moderately useful myself in years, but what's really unfortunate is how many old posts have lost their images due to photobucket policy changes and what not.

As to a new site, if such a one were made, would people be willing to put in the time to posting good content on self sufficiency/emergency prep subjects that are updated and pertinent, or would it just be a re-hashing of the current climate?
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Emails out to backup emails by raptor and KJ4VOV. I suggest others do the same. One never knows what will happen with the hack-a-thon.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ThePhantom86
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 Days/Weeks, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by ThePhantom86 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Well shit. I'm bummed now. I went to the ZS website for the first time in a while (a year maybe?) to find only the link to the forum. Other than this post, anything that I can go read about to get more info as to why the site is bare?

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

ThePhantom86 wrote:Well shit. I'm bummed now. I went to the ZS website for the first time in a while (a year maybe?) to find only the link to the forum. Other than this post, anything that I can go read about to get more info as to why the site is bare?
We were hacked and the forum has only just come back up thanks to volunteer efforts.
Man is a beast of prey

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been spending more time on r/preppers and r/bugout, but the quality of content seems inversely proportionate to the participation rates. A lot of it is just making strawman prepper tropes to complain about, or asking questions better answered by google searches. Far to many posts about which pre-made BOB to buy off of Amazon...

Reddit seems to be one of the few forums staying strong during the general forum decline, but its layout is not conducive to building strong relationships or having meaningful discussions, most threads just splinter into individual bickering.

I am also one that refuses to join facebook groups, but I know lots of people that have started using them more then forums.

BCUSA is another forum that has stayed relatively strong, but it can be difficult having a meaningful conversation about prepping due to the obvious bias. Just suggesting an AR would be more practical then a break-open 12 gauge can get you dog-piled.

I was hopeful the HPG forum would really carry the torch of the old Kifaru forums, and they did in a lot of ways, but they seem to have suffered from the general downturn. I think as a company they may be focusing more energy on other social media, such as FB. Rokslide is a hunting specific forum that also inherited some of Kifaru Forums old users, but is super specific and only useful if you can frame topics in a hunting context.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 pm

ZSC-001 is a charity, and some of the other remaining chapters are going to be setting up as charities too.

To answer the original question, the Board is getting out of the Board business and turning into more of a administrative committee, giving chapters the voting power to direct ZS. It's more of a blanket permission to be ZS than it used to be.

The short answer is that life got in the way of most of the Board and they don't have the time they had 15 years ago. And the old chapter/board relationship didnt work when we got big. We had to cancel a couple chapters that thought they were militias, no one could set up bank accounts without board permission because of charity rules, it was a mess.

So the board dropped charity status from the national org, and chapters that want it can go get it. It took 2 officer meetings where we signed paperwork, and it was done.

As far as for 'what is ZS', the answer remains as it was for our chapter: we do lots of education events, fundraising events for charities, and have a lot of parties. It's the stuff we've always been doing.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 pm

crypto wrote:ZSC-001 is a charity, and some of the other remaining chapters are going to be setting up as charities too.

To answer the original question, the Board is getting out of the Board business and turning into more of a administrative committee, giving chapters the voting power to direct ZS.

The short answer is that life got in the way of most of the Board and they don't have the time they had 15 years ago.
Thanks crypto, you guys have been doing all you can to keep this place afloat. I know ZS005 has been pretty active with a small dedicated group. We actually had a meeting a few months ago. Reach out to members for help, as you can see there's a strong hope this place doesn't crash for good.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Sorry, I went back and expanded on my post a little bit, hit reload LOL
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

KJ4VOV
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by KJ4VOV » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:02 pm

crypto wrote:ZSC-001 is a charity, and some of the other remaining chapters are going to be setting up as charities too.

To answer the original question, the Board is getting out of the Board business and turning into more of a administrative committee, giving chapters the voting power to direct ZS. It's more of a blanket permission to be ZS than it used to be.

The short answer is that life got in the way of most of the Board and they don't have the time they had 15 years ago. And the old chapter/board relationship didnt work when we got big. We had to cancel a couple chapters that thought they were militias, no one could set up bank accounts without board permission because of charity rules, it was a mess.

So the board dropped charity status from the national org, and chapters that want it can go get it. It took 2 officer meetings where we signed paperwork, and it was done.

As far as for 'what is ZS', the answer remains as it was for our chapter: we do lots of education events, fundraising events for charities, and have a lot of parties. It's the stuff we've always been doing.
Okay, but who's paying the server bill? I used to be a paid member but saw some things that had me concerned as to where the money was going, so I stopped being a paid member. I would not be against resuming my paid status if it were applied to keeping the LEDs on and the login working. and I know I'm not the only one.

Having run a similar (but smaller) site for 13 years I know the server bill isn't cheap.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm

well, the old-board-new-committee is selling merch and memberships, that money is paying for our infrastructure: the google apps account we use for email and collaboration and storage space, the web server, the domain registration, etc. That part stays like it was. But merch and memberships were always to keep the lights on for the website. before ZS Inc became a charity and afterwards.

It just ended up that there wasnt any value in maintaining the charitable status for the larger org, and it complicated a lot of paperwork to a degree that they decided it just wasnt worth it.

It's still a non-profit corp, but voting chapters will be their own non-profit companies and if they want, charities. 001 wanted the charity status and its simpler for a local org than an international one, so it was worth it to us.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

KJ4VOV
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by KJ4VOV » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:44 pm

crypto wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm
well, the old-board-new-committee is selling merch and memberships, that money is paying for our infrastructure: the google apps account we use for email and collaboration and storage space, the web server, the domain registration, etc. That part stays like it was. But merch and memberships were always to keep the lights on for the website. before ZS Inc became a charity and afterwards.

It just ended up that there wasnt any value in maintaining the charitable status for the larger org, and it complicated a lot of paperwork to a degree that they decided it just wasnt worth it.

It's still a non-profit corp, but voting chapters will be their own non-profit companies and if they want, charities. 001 wanted the charity status and its simpler for a local org than an international one, so it was worth it to us.
Okay, point me to the membership link and I'll re-up.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:58 pm

I will when it comes back up. We're still closed for business until we redo the store portion of the website and re-enable payment processing for anything.

The PHP hack that was injecting malware into the site was just some userspace BS that didnt have access to the store, but now that we're looking at the code we used for the store, it needs some modernization before we're comfortable.

We made some smart choices when we first set it up in that user's CC info never passes through our server, but went directly to the payment processor, so that part isnt a security concern, but the overall store needs some code refresh to make it more 2018-compatible.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

KJ4VOV
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by KJ4VOV » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Cool, works for me.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:30 pm

crypto wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Sounds good. I look forward to the membership option. I think a lot of us who are still active are wanting to offer support. I believe the phrase "take my money" has been uttered multiple times.

And let us know if there will be a big get-together in 2018 or if we should plan for 2019. I know with the current numbers, it may be difficult to gather people. That may have to happen more organically.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:46 am

To some extent "doom fatigue" has set in. Following the 2008 financial crash, where the collapse of the global financial system seemed like a very real prospect, interest in preparedness peaked. Since then we've managed to muddle through, year after year, and maybe complacency has set in. However, the fundamental threats and challenges remain.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm

"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Here's a rallying point. http://zombiehunters.freeforums.net/ Nothing more. Nothing less. Not trying to compete with ZS. Just a place to sign up for whenever this place goes down temporarily or for good.

I'm a nice guy. I won't be moderating this. Just a place for us to hang out. If we find ourselves in a tight corner.

Patrick
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 am

moab wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Here's a rallying point. http://zombiehunters.freeforums.net/ Nothing more. Nothing less. Not trying to compete with ZS. Just a place to sign up for whenever this place goes down temporarily or for good.

I'm a nice guy. I won't be moderating this. Just a place for us to hang out. If we find ourselves in a tight corner.

Patrick
Thanks moab. Bookmarked.
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 am

SRO1911 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:44 pm
I like the idea of a rally point, I can't begin to count the posts/pages I have Saved from here for future/offline reference. Something like http://zsrp.boards.net might work.
moab wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 pm

So now there are two rally points. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 pm

I registered at the site also.

Thank you Moab!

BTW the other rally point is altemail@gmail.com the account name shows up as brian lee...not me but it works. :D

Return to “Ask ZS”