Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 am

ineffableone wrote:BTW this is the brushmower I was telling you about Halfapint
You told me about it, and I remember the adds from like the 90s! I looked it up and found on for like 200 went there and it didn’t run was missing the cutter etc. was really bummed. But I’m keeping my eye out.

Looking at tractors and might end up getting some Chinese made tractor. There’s the Jinma 285 (I think)which is close to a John Deere 1025r has more HP and reviews show its bullet proof. It also costs many thousands less. Holding to have a tractor in the next month or two to clear the land and dig the trench for septic.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Another update:

Since I now have a ridiculously powerful chainsaw, I bought a chainsaw mill so I can mill boards. I sold some slabs of maple to a buddy these were live edge about 5 1/2' x 3 1/2' x 2" I got about 6 slabs off it with room for more. sold them for $200 each, he's going to make some high end tables and when they sell I get a 20% cut, they expect to sell them in Seattle for well over 3k per table.

I'm still looking at tractors, thinking a Yanmar 221 or 324, I've looked at Yanmar, New Holland, and JD. I still want to check out Kubota and maybe one of the Chinese models just to see the difference.

I spent 2 of my days off up there. I brought my gas weedwhacker and pushed all the vegetation back that's been creeping. Spent nearly 4 hours trimming I cant believe the difference! I cut back an area that I am going to build another wood shed and come to find out, it used to have one there. I found 5 12'x4' fiberglass roofing sheets. So those are getting put to work as soon as I fill up the other woodshed. Everything is on schedule for a September move in date. I'm hoping that I get the tractor this week or next and can start cutting the trees at the entrance/exit, clearing the stumps, then moving the dirt for the parking area for the trailer. Once that's in place, 3-4 dump trucks of gravel should make a good base. We'll see how it holds up if I need to put some concrete down or not.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Where's the pictures of you clearing the brush??

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm

LOL! I do love Danny Trejo! I'm clearing it with my Storm Crow ma-chete. I still need to find a file sharing site that I can use on mobile that will allow me to edit the pixels of pictures. Once I find one (or start looking) I'll upload some pics.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 am

Weekly update: tractor is purchased! Decided on the Yanmar 324, it’s still small, but has better lift and more HP. Delivery is Thursday! Very excited so many projects!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Update:

Took delivery of the tractor on Thursday. They showed up 15 minutes after they would normally open the store so I was impressed! Went over the safety stuff played with the back hoe (it wasn't attached when I drove it originally) everything worked like a charm. Signed the papers and it was mine. Took off first thing to just test it out and "play" there's a bit of a drop off on the road going down to the well. so I decided I was going to move dirt and make a little big of a parking area there by building up the drop off with dirt slowly. After about 4 hours I had build out an area that was about 30'x15' leveled it and everything. This thing is a work horse! I couldn't believe how fast and easy it was to build this area. I put 4 hours on the meter and it didn't drop the fuel gauge a single bar (there are 8 on it so easy to see how much I go through each is 1/8th of a tank, with a 5 gallon tank).

Next day I started in on the road/driveway. This is connected to the mail road that you get to the property with. This is all virgin ground, so I'm having to cut trees down, dig out stumps, and scrape the top layers of biomass off to get down to the dirt. I worked 8 hours and got 75' of road built. once I get to the straight portion it will be a lot faster as there will be a lot less trees and roots to remove.

I was thinking this was going to take months to complete the road and everything. Even working solo I and 2-3 days a week I think I can have 90% of the driveway done in the next 2 weeks. The last 10% will be back dragging with gravel and what not.

Overall I have been very impressed with the tractor! So far best investment I can think of as far as homestead equipment! I'll do a write up as soon as I get a file site picked out!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Halfapint wrote:once I get to the straight portion it will be a lot faster as there will be a lot less trees and roots to remove.

This is a lie! Once I completed the turn and started in on the straight portion I ran into a boulder. This thing was MASSIVE roughly 4' deep 4'wide, and 6 1/2' long, right smack dab in the middle of where I wanted to build the road. Took me 2 days go figure out how to get things thing moved and/or plan a new route. Well nature is a pretty cool thing. There was a tree that crew right on top of it, so I started clearing the dirt off the top and sure as hell, the roots were growing into the rock. Looking at it the tree had split this boulder in 2, so I dug a massive hole and was able to move the roll it into the pit. it is now buried about 3' under my road.

Once that was out of the way I was able cut about 50' of road in 2 hours. My schedule changed at work so I had 2 days off, work today, have 3 days off starting tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be dropping about 6 trees, and dragging them out. If it's not hot tomorrow I think I will deal with all the wood I've been putting off, probably close to 8-9 cord of wood.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Quick update:

I've got about 50' of road left to build. After the giant boulder I had lots of trees. I cut down about 15 trees the largest one about 3' in diameter, sad I had to cut it but it was smack dab in the middle. It's fast becoming a real bear to deal with. Hopefully Sunday (next day off) I'll get it pulled out and the then I have about 30 feet of clear until the next and last batch of trees to deal with.

Once the initial cut is finished the fun begins. Mostly widening the cut in the area the camper is going to go, digging the trenches for water, power and sewer. We've got a metric shit ton of rocks. we've already created a trail , we'll be using the rocks to line the walk way, and build a small retaining wall. the rock pile is growing larger and larger already have 2 loader bucket loads of them in areas.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm

PICS!

super jealous, heavy equipment makes that much work almost sound like fun!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm
PICS!

You have a good host sharing site? I’ve checked out a few but none seem to allow for pic resizing. Would love to upload some!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 am

Halfapint wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm
PICS!

You have a good host sharing site? I’ve checked out a few but none seem to allow for pic resizing. Would love to upload some!
Imgur allows for resizing when linking to images. You get a choice of a few "standard" sizes, ranging from small square:

up to the original size in 8 steps. I find the "large thumbnail" size works best:

and they even provide two styles of bbcode pre-applied to the link so it's literally just cut and paste.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm

I also use imgur since the great Photobucketpocolypse. I simply resize all images as I upload them, I like it way better then Photobucket all around.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 am

https://www.smugmug.com might be for you - or not... :awesome:
Tony D

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 am
https://www.smugmug.com might be for you - or not... :awesome:
This ^^^

Founded by the owner of the other other site I’m always on...ADVrider

Great hosting for very reasonable prices.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Here’s some pics (thanks tony d tiger!)

The first cut for the road

The giant boulder

Broke the boulder apart and buried it.

The stump

Dragging it to drop it off the edge of the cliff, didn’t actually get video of it rolling down.

And today. We knocked down this monster. It was huge hate cutting down big guys like this. But it’ll keep us warm for quite a while!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 am

COOL!!! :clap:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Some of the ivy I've been dealing with.... Crazy isn't it?!

This is a pic of the pump housing area

After I got down there with my weedwacker... I saved the one fern because I liked it :D

The reason I bought the Stihl 661, that's a 36" bar, that was 1 of 3 limbs of the giant maple I had to take down. I'm working with a buddy right now to get some 2" slabs off the actual stump, to and sell them to him and his boss for some live edge high end tables. I can get about 12 2" slabs off it. Just waiting to see how how much I can get for this big ol sucker.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 pm

GF had a couple days off and was really wanting to do something, I'd been showing her how to use the tractor so she said she wanted to go up and get more done. We still had the hole to fill, trees to drop and some other work. She's great with a chainsaw (you can see her in the picture with the downed tree above), but she's inexperienced felling. She spent about 8 hours on the property doing tractor work and extended the road another 20-30 feet.

the trees at the very end are the last 2 big trees I need to drop. that's where my turn starts to lead back out to the road. I think I can get this done on my days off. I have a TON of wood I need to cut and split. I'm running out of areas to store all this wood. My wood shed is small (10 cord maybe?) and the flat area I want to put a much larger one is holding about 8 8'-12' sections of logs.

My priority tomorrow and the next 3 days will be to get the road finished so we can drive the trucks through. Once that's done this will go much faster i'll be able to load the trucks up with dirt, drive them to my cliff and drop it off the end.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Must be nice to have a personal cliff. :awesome:
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:45 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Must be nice to have a personal cliff. :awesome:
Technically we have 2, the "cliff" I'm talking about is only about 30' or so. the road going down to the lower part of the property is pretty steep and I built a little flat area there. The other cliff is about 150-200' down at is at the very bottom of the property. The property is butted right up against an old gravel mine that went out of business. I don't dump anything off that..... yet :D

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Sounds like the makings of an excellent shooting range.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:24 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Sounds like the makings of an excellent shooting range.
I the quarry is still owned by the bank. I don't even want to know how much they want for the land, its big though.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 pm
GF had a couple days off and was really wanting to do something, I'd been showing her how to use the tractor so she said she wanted to go up and get more done. We still had the hole to fill, trees to drop and some other work. She's great with a chainsaw (you can see her in the picture with the downed tree above), but she's inexperienced felling. She spent about 8 hours on the property doing tractor work and extended the road another 20-30 feet.
Please tell your girlfriend she is awesome!

Thanks for all of the pictures too!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am
Please tell your girlfriend she is awesome!

Thanks for all of the pictures too!
Oh I tell her all the time, I mean I can’t be having her realize she’s dating me.

The last two days were splitting wood. It’s been into the 90’s here. We aren’t used to this shit. This is the pacific north wet, not the pacific north sweat. I split probably close to 8 cord of wood yesterday. Finished up today by cutting the small trees to logs. I aprently can’t stack wood for shit. I tried 6times to stack a row and it fell every. Single. Time. I may have gone a little bazzerk and destroyed my machete and made a piece of fir into toothpicks.

But hey...... that’s normal right?

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”