Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Job

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:We need to start talking about how to take these things down...& out! :twisted:
Apparently EMP grenades exist. If the government can make them, private industry can probably figure it out. With modern home machinery I bet we can make small personal batches.
EMP is what I was thinking of. Hardening against EMP is difficult, & expensive; but it was many a moon since I really looked into the matter.

In the age-old battle between arms & armor, it's easier to build better arms.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 am

Most mission critical military is already hardened for EMP.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:14 am

NamelessStain wrote:Most mission critical military is already hardened for EMP.
Some is for sure. I have heard different things on that, due to cost. I hope everything painted green is hardened. EMP is a reality & I hope we are ready.

Having said that, I question if those bags I got off of Amazon actually work. :?

I have heard so many different things about EMP/CME, I don't know what to think. :roll:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:47 pm

The question is, is AI created hardware going to be EMP hardened?
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Dabster wrote:
AI learns.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 am

Dabster wrote:
Without a doubt, it is.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 am

Just because science is able to create these horrible things, does not mean they should be built.
History is rife with TPTB having control of the masses; with all this crap it's just going to get easier, and so many people seem to just hand their control over. I don't understand it.
All those sci-fi movies with the intelligent bombs, computer chip implants in the brains & so forth were intended as cautionary tales, not blueprints.

We did our best to heal the world from what ours and previous generations did to it and give you a better one; but I fear that once this Genie is out of the bottle the world will not be able to heal.
It is no longer our responsibility, we no longer have any power to shape it - that has been handed it on to you and younger generations... it is yours.

WHAT SORT OF WORLD DO YOU WANT?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:WHAT SORT OF WORLD DO YOU WANT?
I'd like to keep and maintain our Bill of Rights...the U.S. Constitution. Any erosion of the freedoms it protects thus far has been man made, but AI is manmade as well, and it arrived some time ago. No matter how crazy the activities or appearance of a smart machine may appear, its brain is occupied with algorithms based on "if/than" logic created by a human. One of the first lies will be "the AI took over and there was nothing we could do."

There is the idea that smarter machines will look to increase efficiency and therefore move to eliminate inefficiencies but as far as it relates to humans and life, Eugenics and Euthanasia are human ideas and would certainly be nothing new. Look to more affluent nations and try to understand how they treat their average person, and their addicted, their poor, their elderly and homeless. Would all care and opportunity provided or offered be improved upon or lessened if responsibility could be placed on machines? In terms of truths, the instant replay in sports and the increase of cameras everywhere, as well as all the other data points that can be obtained, would seem to imply that no one could possibly get away with anything illegal but some people always do, don't they?

Someone a while back wrote about how AI could be combined with mediocrity, like most customer service these days, and that would eliminate a lot of human jobs. I found that insightful. But I don't fear robots.

I don't fear that some mean machine will tear me limb from limb. I'm afraid that a smaller and smaller group of people will control the brains behind the machines.
So the real question is not what to do with AI and robots but "who decides" what it does/they do.

Fortunately we live in a democracy where the people decide...
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
Fortunately we live in a democracy republic*.....
FTFY :D
Asymetryczna wrote:where the people decide...
FT one FY, too. :wink:

*If we can keep it, as posited by a founder.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Just because science is able to create these horrible things, does not mean they should be built.

ZG, my favorite response to this question is from the movie Jurassic Park:

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

LowKey wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Thanks LowKey, spot on.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

NamelessStain wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:Just because science is able to create these horrible things, does not mean they should be built.

ZG, my favorite response to this question is from the movie Jurassic Park:

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

LowKey wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Thanks LowKey, spot on.
Boy are you guys missing the boat on that one. WE ARE BY GOD, ZOMBIE SQUAD,MAKING DEAD THINGS DEADER . We are all about evil monsters ( organic or mechanical ) ripping us limb from limb and how to keep that from happening. Leave the slow erosion of rights to Reddit and let's get back to discussing just which Katana would be best for decapitating terminators and zombies in one swing. :clap:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:30 pm

...and thus are spoken the words of truth and the new dogma...AI is not alive biologically thus it is sentient dead...AI is the new ZPAW!

flybynight wrote: Boy are you guys missing the boat on that one. WE ARE BY GOD, ZOMBIE SQUAD,MAKING DEAD THINGS DEADER . We are all about evil monsters ( organic or mechanical ) ripping us limb from limb and how to keep that from happening. Leave the slow erosion of rights to Reddit and let's get back to discussing just which Katana would be best for decapitating terminators and zombies in one swing. :clap:
We need a mantra

AIPAW = ZPAW

ZS makes the dead deader!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm

AIPAW = ZPAW, Aye.

Can someone tell me where I can find the "best" spring-loaded Triple Dagger and a Lantern Shield that has a concealable space for a handcuff key?
Dr. Zaius: Have you forgotten your scripture, the thirteenth scroll? "And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him."
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:AIPAW = ZPAW, Aye.

Can someone tell me where I can find the "best" spring-loaded Triple Dagger and a Lantern Shield that has a concealable space for a handcuff key?
Dr. Zaius: Have you forgotten your scripture, the thirteenth scroll? "And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him."
Budk of course. But don't buy the first one you see in the catalog. Thumb several pages after to where you can get the same thing for more money. :wink:

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Uber Suspends Self-Driving Tests After Pedestrian Is Killed In Arizona
March 19, 2018 1:38 PM ET By Ian Wren

A self-driving car operated by Uber struck and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Ariz. The incident could be the first pedestrian death involving a self-driving vehicle.

The car was in autonomous mode, but had a human riding along to take control of the vehicle if necessary, The New York Times reported. Several reports indicate the pedestrian was a woman, who was immediately transported to a local hospital where she died.

Uber has suspended all autonomous vehicle operations in Pittsburgh, Tempe, San Francisco and Toronto in response to the crash.

In a statement provided to NPR, Uber said, "Our hearts go out to the victim's family. We are fully cooperating with local authorities in their investigation of this incident."

Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi referenced the "incredibly sad news out of Arizona" in a tweet and reaffirmed that the company will cooperate with local law enforcement.

Requests for comment from the Tempe Police Department were not immediately returned.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending a team to investigate the incident.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:33 pm

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending a team to investigate the incident.
I wonder if the "team" is made of carbon fiber/ titanium and has blinking lights for eyes?

HE LLO I AM FROM THE GOVERN MENT AND I AM HERE TO HELP

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:11 am

Anyone else see the "Short hair white skin Mandy doll" spam post this morning? Will this become a common thing rather than atypical? Will it pass through a normalizing phase where uncommon behavior becomes more common. I'm not poking fun; I'm asking questions. Does she dream of electric sheep?
Henry David Thoreau

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Someone on the Twitter asked, "If I put a bag of baby carrots on a shelf on the cleaning supplies aisle, instead of returning it to the produce section, will that trigger Judgement Day?"

Select Walmart stores have autonomous robots that track inventory

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/selec ... d=54040122

Towering, autonomous robots are beginning to roam the aisles of select Walmart U.S. stores as part of a new pilot program that was launched last fall. Not all customers are pleased, however.

“I was thinking at first that it’s like cleaning the floor,” one shopper told ABC station KABC in Los Angeles, California.

Another shopper said, “I don’t know, it’s starting to be a little bit scary, like are machines taking over?”

The technology in the robots is similar to self-driving cars. The robots are built with software that allows them to scan shelves for data on out-of-stock, misplaced and mislabeled products, and check for incorrect pricing.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 pm

RickOShea wrote:Someone on the Twitter asked, "If I put a bag of baby carrots on a shelf on the cleaning supplies aisle, instead of returning it to the produce section, will that trigger Judgement Day?"

Towering, autonomous robots are beginning to roam the aisles of select Walmart U.S. stores as part of a new pilot program that was launched last fall. Not all customers are pleased, however.

“I was thinking at first that it’s like cleaning the floor,” one shopper told ABC station KABC in Los Angeles, California.

Another shopper said, “I don’t know, it’s starting to be a little bit scary, like are machines taking over?”

The technology in the robots is similar to self-driving cars. The robots are built with software that allows them to scan shelves for data on out-of-stock, misplaced and mislabeled products, and check for incorrect pricing.
I'm glad that I don't go to Wal-Mart.

I can see the jobless rate going up already. :(

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:48 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Someone on the Twitter asked, "If I put a bag of baby carrots on a shelf on the cleaning supplies aisle, instead of returning it to the produce section, will that trigger Judgement Day?"

I'm glad that I don't go to Wal-Mart.

I can see the jobless rate going up already. :(
Oh yea, Just imagine when they task it for stopping shoplifters. Maybe a million volt stun gun and mounted self loading carbine with armor piercing rounds. You know, for hunting :crazy:

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:19 am

A few chosen quotes:
Google’s boss has gone so far as to declare that AI will do more for humanity than fire or electricity.
Surveillance at work is nothing new. Factory workers have long clocked in and out; bosses can already see what idle workers do on their computers.
(If you can see me I am waving; just wanted to say hi.)

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/ ... reror-more
Henry David Thoreau

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 am

OK, this is for chuckles:

https://i.redd.it/tdsnicmkalo01.jpg

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:23 pm

A thought stuck me the other night that make me shake a bit.

Super intelligent AI might be scary, but what about the lesser forms? If computers get as smart as a 4 year old they are still going to be put to work. The scary thought? How easy is it to fool a 4 year old? How cruel can 4 year olds be?
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Well I'll tell you, the ATM I just tried to use was mean.
Apparently, even hitting the pretend button with my fist was not hard enough for it to understand.
A woman from the bank came out and rescued me (and my card) from it's clutches and gave me the money I needed.

It was poke wait, poke with 2 fingers, wait, poke harder with 2 fingers (hurt them), wait, hit lightly with fist, wait, hit harder with fist, wait, hit harder with fist (that one worked), ask another question, hit with 2 fingers (hurt them again), wait... and on and on until I'm trying to cancel the transaction and she came out, rescued me and got my card out for me.
I didn't even swear at the machine <shock> .
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “What Would You Do?”