It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 pm 

I have vaseline in a number of my bags. But I prefer the ease of use of Chapstick. But damn they used to be a full tube of chapstick. But now your lucky to get a half inch of chapstick out of them. And they only last a short time. Are there other chapstick type sticks that have a full tube of lip balm? Like Burt's Bee's or something? Not into menthol either.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Sorry; I can't resist. :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:

Such an awesome scene in such an awesome movie. Cat oil. I can only wonder. Ugh. :)

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 pm 

If you're so inclined there are lots of recipes for homemade chapstick on the webs. Empty tubes are cheap on Amazon, or small tins work too. My 10yo daughter has made and sold or given away several different varieties.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm 

I like SunSmacker, one of the LipSmacker line.
Lasts me a long time, not waxy, and has an SPF of 24.
(Skin cancer on the lips is not a good thing.)

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

majorhavoc wrote:

Not fair!!! I got flagged and in trouble for posting that to a similar thread a couple years back...

Actually, come to think of it, it was about bugging out with cats. I guess that is kinda rude in that scenario...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Not fair!!! I got flagged and in trouble for posting that to a similar thread a couple years back...

Actually, come to think of it, it was about bugging out with cats. I guess that is kinda rude in that scenario...

If you think about it hard enough, all prepping topics are ultimately about cats. The importance of cat naps while bugging out, cat-like reflexes for CQB defensive strategies, cat gut for field expedient surgery. I also hear they're excellent animals to raise for food. So easy to herd ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:48 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

I remember that thread I got complained on too for posting something not as cool as this:

Although yeah... cat oil... my mind went straight there. Nothing like Denzel and Tom Waits discussing personal hygiene in the PAW. That alone was worth the $2 I paid for the pirated movie at the Haji mart.

Oh and MOAB chapstick is made out of:

- camphor, beeswax, menthol, petrolatum, phenol, vitamin E, aloe, and oxybenzone. I'd say some vaseline and aloe mixture should get it done.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Please more of useful information like this

Stercutus wrote:
Oh and MOAB chapstick is made out of:

- camphor, beeswax, menthol, petrolatum, phenol, vitamin E, aloe, and oxybenzone. I'd say some vaseline and aloe mixture should get it done.

And less of the cats thank you. :roll:

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm 

I melt together coconut oil, lanolin and beeswax and carry it in a little tin. Use it for lips, inner thighs, between toes... any place that needs a bit of moisture and lubrication.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm 

Well, if you don't care about appearances or maybe you do, wouldn't lip stick be way more available and serve the same purpose? Can you freeze lipstick and it still work? Any ladies.... or gents know?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:35 pm 

I bought some Burts Beeswax chapstick tonight. WAY more product. Like twice the length.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Carmex is great, I carry some in my car and bugout bags.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
Well, if you don't care about appearances or maybe you do, wouldn't lip stick be way more available and serve the same purpose? Can you freeze lipstick and it still work? Any ladies.... or gents know?

No idea about freezing lipstick. Not all lipsticks serve the same purpose. Some of them moisturize, yes, but many of them are also specifically designed to "plump" your lips up through a chemical reaction which is actually mildly irritating. They're also much more likely to be scented in a way that will attract bugs (definitely something to watch for) and if you're one of the people who pays attention to chemicals you put on your skin, they tend to have way more crap in them (and don't always have the ingredients listed).

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:17 am 

JackBauer wrote:

Do they make one that doesn't make your lips burn? To much menthol for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

For what it's worth I carry Burt's Beeswax Lip Balm 24/7 when working in this bad Mo weather. Hanging off the back of a locomotive in freezing rain or just flat out cold wind, giving directions on a walkie-talkie tends to give me really chapped lips, put a bit on before I go out in it keeps that from happening. I've tried others like Carmex, etc, but they don't seem to work as well. I've also found that Burt's Beeswax has a lot in the tube for the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 pm 

Brekar wrote:
For what it's worth I carry Burt's Beeswax Lip Balm 24/7 when working in this bad Mo weather. Hanging off the back of a locomotive in freezing rain or just flat out cold wind, giving directions on a walkie-talkie tends to give me really chapped lips, put a bit on before I go out in it keeps that from happening. I've tried others like Carmex, etc, but they don't seem to work as well. I've also found that Burt's Beeswax has a lot in the tube for the cost.

Ya, This is good stuff. I agree. I'm only put it on a couple times a day. Whereas Chapstick had to be used several times a day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
JackBauer wrote:

Do they make one that doesn't make your lips burn? To much menthol for me.

yes they have lots of plain ones, in different carry formats, tins, tubes, applicators.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Sometimes if on the trail I use one of my cottonballs mixed with Vaseline DIY tinder. I think Vaseline actually works better than chap stick. It also is about as effective as anti bacterial creams which are 97% Vaseline.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm 

Woods Walker wrote:
Sometimes if on the trail I use one of my cottonballs mixed with Vaseline DIY tinder. I think Vaseline actually works better than chap stick. It also is about as effective as anti bacterial creams which are 97% Vaseline.

Ya. I keep that too. And I agree. Just not as easy to use as chapstick. This Burts Bees stuff is GREAT. Lasts a long time and has way more in the tube. Like two or three times as much.

I could see putting some vaseline in a little nalgene though. But I'd probably use it up starting fires. lol. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Earwax works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
Earwax works.

Best argument I ever heard for sticking your tongue in someone's ear

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 pm 

Carmex is a wonderful product - but they make different kinds which should be used for different purposes ... The one in the tub is less of a protectant, and more of a cure (the stick one is more like chapstick...). The one in the tub with all the menthol and salacylic acid is best used before bed to restore chapped lips (it also works WONDERS on chapped noses from blowing them too much while sick -again apply before bedtime - stings at first, but your nose is fixed by morning).

Cheers ! Cb R.Ph.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am 

You should know that Chapstick is adictive. Anything that contains petrolatum ultimately dries out your lips, making you feel the need for more chapstick once the lips dry off. And your lips will stop producing their own lubricants if you use it over a long period. I have had several friends who literally get nervous when Chapstick is not around. You can wean yourself with something that only includes a wax, by only applying intermittently over longer and longer periods.