Food and Water estimates

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AkiraLe

Food and Water estimates

Post by AkiraLe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 am

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, so feel free to delete if need be, but I couldn't find this topic anywhere in this forum section, and the search utility bought back every single topic ever written on anything in the history of this forum.

My question is this:

What are good estimates to how much and what types of food to have available, as well as bottles of water? Not necessarily to survive for 20 years, but long enough that scavenging will be able to bring in a survivible amount. I want to be able to hang low for a few weeks before I venture out.

I'm curious what types of prepping you all have done?

I've been focusing mainly on bottled water, and various canned food {like Chicken Noodle Soup mainly, but some others}
Last edited by AkiraLe on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

woodsghost

Re: Food and Water estimates

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 am

AkiraLe wrote:I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, so feel free to delete if need be, but I couldn't find this topic anywhere in this forum section, and the search utility bought back every single topic ever written on anything in the history of this forum.

My question is this:

What are good estimates to how much and what types of food to have available, as well as bottles of water? Not necessarily to survive for 20 years, but long enough that scavenging will be able to bring in a survivible amount. I want to be able to hang low for a few weeks before I venture out.

I'm curious what types of prepping you all have done?

I've been focusing mainly on bottled water, and various canned food {like Chicken Noodle Soup mainly, but some others}
I'll probably reply some more later, but the really short answer is you answered your question. A few weeks worth of food and water is want you want, though most people here probably have a few months. Most of us start with a week, then 2 weeks, then a month, and we just slowly build over time as funds allow.

I firmly believe in storing 2000-3000 calories a day and I store 2 quarts of water per day. Which is ridiculous. I need to up my water to a gallon a day. So I need to get a water barrel for the apartment. And maybe one of those bathtub bags.

I believe in storing enough food to work hard or to share a little with someone else. I want my water preps to be in the same position.

I think you are on the right track. Do you store what you normally eat? We have changed our diet a bit to fit the preps and changed our preps a bit to fit our diet. So we have compromised.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:06 am

Yep, a gallon a day per person for hydration and (very basic) hygiene needs. Bottled water and canned goods are a perfectly acceptable place to start. Start thinking about some dry goods too: rice, pasta, instant potatoes, dry milk, coffee, tea, sugar, etc. Buy things you normally eat, and then periodically rotate them out with fresh stock. And don't forget to have a portable means to cook or at least warm foods.

It's when you start thinking about food and water stores greater than a couple of weeks that you might consider more sophisticated preps like water barrels, bulk dehydrated foods, etc.

I sound like a broken record in this regard, but I always recommend that if you have any interest at all, take up camping as a personal/family hobby. You pick up a tremendous amount of core prepping/survival skills while enjoying the outdoors. It also helps rationalize the cost of a lot of basic preparedness items like a camp stove, tent, portable lighting and sleeping bags.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:59 pm

" long enough that scavenging will be able to bring in a survivible amount. "

May I strongly suggest that this statement in your OP is an outright admission of utter failure in your nascent planning?

Unless you live in a high-rise apt, you should start a garden - something simple - like carrots, radishes and potatoes & add more as you progress.

Post-disaster, "scavenging" carries the real risk of being shot by the people that own those goods.....

You don't need a tiller - just some land that has sunshine that isn't poisoned and a few basic tools..

see no-till gardening for some ideas.

http://learn.eartheasy.com/2009/01/no-till-gardening/

https://www.tenthacrefarm.com/2015/11/t ... ll-garden/
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

You are new here, but something we encourage a lot of people to consider is "are you planning for a Walking Dead type scenario or a post-hurricane Irma type scenario?"

In a post-hurricane Irma type world, a few weeks worth of goods in a flood resistant area would be wise. In a post-Walking Dead type world, life gets rather complicated.

So which one are you considering?

And like Tac Air said, gardens are pretty cool and a very good place to start.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm

The best choice is anyone’s guess but the standard for planning no matter what the scenario is seems to be 1 gallon of water per day and 2,000 calories. There are dozens of informative web sites about this topic and many of them have their packaged item for sale by quick link either in the text or in the margins. It’s an example of a market growing around an information base where there is need.

Much, for preppers, in my opinion, is based on want more than need. As long as you have the time and money why not fill a pantry with foods that will nourish and taste pretty good as well, with a contingent of stuff you can carry away if that need arises? That said, a couple of 5 gallon containers, a large bath tub, or a 55-gallon rain barrel, plus a case of MRE’s and a case of Chef-Boy-R-Dee Spaghetti and Meatballs will allow you to remain inside your dwelling for a couple of weeks. (More water stored – w/o cleanliness emphasis – should be considered for cleaning and flushing a toilet.)

So much is individual preference, given time. When I have been real hungry I haven’t complained a lot about which MRE I got or that the water tastes a bit like the plastic from the container.

I’m not a fan of water bottles for the individual or family. Keep them of course, they are good for measuring intake and for simple carrying but the larger containers make much more sense for storage. Not counting the more “heavy duty” bottles I use, my intent for 2018 is to only use these 2 water bottles all year. It’s so simple to fill them from a faucet or a fountain or to clean water to fill them. The less plastic I add to the environment the better, I think.

I love that people here are so quick to point to gardening/growing. If you haven’t met Chicago Zombie go find the free e-books thread and download everything you can about growing food. For free, I have downloaded dozens about how,when,where,what to grow and these serve to increase my knowledge base. Of course, this is not going to benefit you much in the short run but you might be surprised how many meals you can forage in your area if you know what you are doing. And especially if you are hungry.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:42 pm

woodsghost wrote: I firmly believe in storing 2000-3000 calories a day and I store 2 quarts of water per day. Which is ridiculous.
Is it though?

I do the same with my food storage, and here's why. In a collapse event, or even a less catastrophic but still bad event like a bad storm, you will have varying caloric needs. One day, you may be on a patrol, or chopping wood and need those 3,000 calories or more. Maybe the next day you are sitting around monitoring the HAM Radio or doing food prep, so you could pare back your intake.

It allows for more intake on the heavy days, and you can stretch longer in the leaner days.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I like to put this thought out there about rationing:
If everyone in your group is put on a diet at once, things will get hairy.
EVEN IF everyone agrees it's a good thing, there will be griping and possibly a fistfight or two; and they will all blame the person with the keys to the food storage.

If one person eats an entire can of tuna in a sandwich now, they will NOT be happy with turning that can into 3 sandwiches and handing 2 of them to someone else.
-
-
-
Your question is hard as each person & group is different, and the amounts & type of food changes through time.
For example, in the past few years ZombieGramps has gradually halved the amount of food he eats, and I have gone down by at least 2/3s.
Do you have any idea what your group goes through on a monthly basis now?
Step 1 is figuring that out first.
-
An old Food Storage discussion thread - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104558
Photos: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45540
Where/how to start - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38784
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 pm

SteelWolf wrote:
woodsghost wrote: I firmly believe in storing 2000-3000 calories a day and I store 2 quarts of water per day. Which is ridiculous.
Is it though?

I do the same with my food storage, and here's why. In a collapse event, or even a less catastrophic but still bad event like a bad storm, you will have varying caloric needs. One day, you may be on a patrol, or chopping wood and need those 3,000 calories or more. Maybe the next day you are sitting around monitoring the HAM Radio or doing food prep, so you could pare back your intake.

It allows for more intake on the heavy days, and you can stretch longer in the leaner days.
I think you are right on with the food. I meant to say the "2 quarts of water per day" was ridiculous. And honestly, it is probably lower now. So I really need to get water squared away.

Yeah, I think burning calories through exertion will take a toll and I know people who say "I have stashed 1000 calories a day, I'll just tighten my belt." I just don't see people functioning in a disaster with low food. Although, summer heat can suppress an appetite. I have seen and experienced that.

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Just a thought, everyone figures out how much food to store based on calories - how many people here eat a calorie controlled diet?

Metabolisms vary, often more than you would think. Forgetting extra activity, lets say you decide to store 2000 kcal a day. If you have never before, in my opinion you should try eating exactly that for at least two weeks, ideally a month. weigh yourself every day in the morning, and take the average of the first week, and the second/last respectively.

When you need the food is a really bad time to realize you run a bit hot relative to average, and you're losing weight. Your energy levels will tank, especially if you're not used to being in a deficit, and you will just have a bad time, essentially.

In an ideal world, you would test the amount of calories you plan to store AND do the amount of activity you anticipate. Maybe not so practical, but if you can at least figure out exactly how many calories you need to maintain your weight, you can make a good estimate for activity, and add it on.

Just as food for thought, I have a pretty fast metabolism and had NO IDEA until I started calorie counting. At the moment, I lose weight if I eat less than 3000 calories a day, with no meaningful activity. I used to be more muscular than I am, and at my heaviest needed around 4000, though I was more active at the time. Think how bad it would turn out, if you were losing over a kilogram of weight a week at a time you needed to be unusually active, and wanted to rely on your immune system. I should point out that there is no underlying medical problem with my metabolism, and any of you could be in the same position.

AraZombie

Post by AraZombie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:11 pm

The set of a 1 gallon of water per day and 2000 to 3000 calories per day seems right. Like others say, the number of calories and water will depend on the kind of routine or activities the person will do every day

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm

UglyST wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:20 am
Nice thread! I'm a newbie here too and I'd like to know what medical supplies to carry in case of Irma Hurricane scenario, for example. Everything is clear to me concerning food and water (I have a portable water filter, by the way). But what medical stuff should I carry with me? I have a standard navy first-aid kit, I also added a can of vitamins there. Should I add something else?
Welcome to Zombie Squad. Consider going to the Introductions subforum and tell us a little about yourself. Your question about medical supplies may be answered by reading over some of the threads in the First Aid subforum (viewforum.php?f=43). If you still have specific questions about medical topics, consider posting your question there; it may get more attention than here, in a thread about food and water.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”