All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Akin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Greetings all!

So, I’m starting to pick up parts for my next build, which ideally will be some spieces of M110 clone.

I’m working on the lower right now... have a DPMS lower en route, as well as a DPMS LPK.

However, I want to grab a BCG before the vanish... we could be on the brink of another panic, and I rememeber that in the last one BCGs became very hard to find.

I like Bravo USA BCGs, but they don’t make one for 308...

Are any of them better than any other? I was likely going to go with, you guessed it, a DPMS one, unless there’s anything in particular I should go for...

Thanks!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Akin wrote:Greetings all!

So, I’m starting to pick up parts for my next build, which ideally will be some spieces of M110 clone.

I’m working on the lower right now... have a DPMS lower en route, as well as a DPMS LPK.

However, I want to grab a BCG before the vanish... we could be on the brink of another panic, and I rememeber that in the last one BCGs became very hard to find.

Are any of them better than any other? I was likely going to go with, you guessed it, a DPMS one, unless there’s anything in particular I should go for...

Thanks!

I'd try AIM surplus's BCG. They use DPMS pattern for their 308 AR10 BCGs. I've heard great things and on my next AR-47 build, I will probably use theirs.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx ... ier+Groups
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote:Holy expensive gizmo batman!!

91, do you have the set of 3 sizes or is there one size that works for all build pin scenarios? what size is that? "there can be only one" in my gun budget.
I just have the one... Basically the 7” version, but I bought mine several years ago in Germany for €30 or so, and it’s in mm. You can get it for ~$49 on Amazon, (ninja edit) and at Home Depot for ~$47, but I know they sell them at Sears, Grainger and other places too.

Very handy tool...basically a hand-held miniature vise. Smooth jaws are great for tightening polished/plated bolts that you don’t want to mar the finish on too.
I'm looking at buying one of those, great idea!!

I also found this Kobalt version on amazon that looks similar. It's a 2 set for $25
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0KVY46/re ... g=UTF8&me=
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Aero Precision.

Personally, my plan when it comes to building my planned 308 AR is to buy an assembled upper and BCG from the same company. Downside to this is it's expensive.

And while it's not as bad as post-Newtown, there is something of a panic already going on. Exhibit A: last I looked, PSA is completely out of complete rifles. This includes ARs of all calibers - 9mm, .45, both types of 7.62x39, as well as their Kalishniklones.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Langenator wrote:
Akin wrote:GExhibit A: last I looked, PSA is completely out of complete rifles. This includes ARs of all calibers - 9mm, .45, both types of 7.62x39, as well as their Kalishniklones.
Really? That is interesting.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:46 pm

moab wrote:
Langenator wrote:
Akin wrote:GExhibit A: last I looked, PSA is completely out of complete rifles. This includes ARs of all calibers - 9mm, .45, both types of 7.62x39, as well as their Kalishniklones.
That's not that unusual for PSA. I think they build stuff in waves.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks!
How close of a clone are you going for? As I understand it, the M110's had chromed BCG's. Chrome isn't as popular as it used to be, but Ni-Bor BCG's seem to be aplenty....

http://www.primaryarms.com/fail-zero-ex ... 10-01-nh_2

http://www.primaryarms.com/wmd-308-nib- ... nibxbcg308

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/308-bolt-c ... p-nib.html

http://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarrie ... ete-2.aspx

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catal ... x-treated/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:03 pm

It’s going to be an M110-ish build.

Hell, some od theparts are nigh unavailable no matter what, so a true clone is impossible.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:
Langenator wrote:
That's not that unusual for PSA. I think they build stuff in waves.
They're even out of the lowers and uppers for the 7.62x39s that use AK mags. KS-47 they call it.

I didn't know they made them, and now I totally want to build one. Or does that belong in the AK thread?

(Even cooler - from the pictures, it looks like there are no @#%#ing roll pins needed.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Langenator wrote:

They're even out of the lowers and uppers for the 7.62x39s that use AK mags. KS-47 they call it.

I didn't know they made them, and now I totally want to build one. Or does that belong in the AK thread?

(Even cooler - from the pictures, it looks like there are no @#%#ing roll pins needed.)
I haven't seen them have any KS47 stuff in the last 6 months. I don't think they were that successful so they aren't pumping them out. You'll see a blem lower pop up rarely. But, their AR47 uppers should fit it depending on bcg, I believe.

I check their website probably daily for fun. If you keep checking, you'll see they really have more listed on their site than they keep in stock.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:39 pm

I always kicked myself for not getting one their AR 9mms. The ones that have the magwell adapters like a CAR, not the lowers molded to fit the mag. Now I'll wait patiently to see what their MP5 clones are going to be like.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Langenator wrote:

I haven't seen them have any KS47 stuff in the last 6 months. I don't think they were that successful so they aren't pumping them out. You'll see a blem lower pop up rarely. But, their AR47 uppers should fit it depending on bcg, I believe.

I check their website probably daily for fun. If you keep checking, you'll see they really have more listed on their site than they keep in stock.
I usually just look at their specials, but I would like to grab one of those KS-47s, just so I could have a 7.62x39 AR, without having to buy a bunch of those wonky mags. I already have an AK and a ton of mags for it.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Langenator wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Langenator wrote:

I usually just look at their specials, but I would like to grab one of those KS-47s, just so I could have a 7.62x39 AR, without having to buy a bunch of those wonky mags. I already have an AK and a ton of mags for it.
There's always the CMMG mutant. It uses a modified AR10 bolt carrier which is supposed to be much beefier even though I don't know if x39 needs that beefy of a BCG.

But it's pricey and the KS47 is normally a good price. I'll keep an eye out and PM you if I see it for sale

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 am

Langenator wrote:

Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Aero Precision.

Personally, my plan when it comes to building my planned 308 AR is to buy an assembled upper and BCG from the same company. Downside to this is it's expensive.

And while it's not as bad as post-Newtown, there is something of a panic already going on. Exhibit A: last I looked, PSA is completely out of complete rifles. This includes ARs of all calibers - 9mm, .45, both types of 7.62x39, as well as their Kalishniklones.

Looks like PSA upped their shipping days from 5 to 10 from order date due to excessive orders as of late.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Langenator wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Langenator wrote:

There's always the CMMG mutant. It uses a modified AR10 bolt carrier which is supposed to be much beefier even though I don't know if x39 needs that beefy of a BCG.

But it's pricey and the KS47 is normally a good price. I'll keep an eye out and PM you if I see it for sale
I hit the 'email me when back in stock' link, so hopefully I'll have some spare funds when they come back in.

I just took a look at CMMG (I actually have one of their upper assemblies on one of my regular ARs. It shoots great, kind of heavy, bought when quad rails were all the rage.) Holy crap their MK47 (I assume that's the Mutant you referenced) is expensive - $600 at the low end. (It doesn't help that they don't seem to sell stripped lowers.) The uppers start at $900, and there's no basic A2 handguard w/triangle front sight gas block model. So, $1500 at the low end for a complete rifle that still needs some kind of sights.

No idea what PSA's pricing is, but I'm sure it's a good bit less.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Is Bear Creek Arsenal just complete crap? I think they would come in someplace on the level of PSA. You can get their 7.62 AR for around $500 or $600 at Classic Arms.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 pm

I want one that takes AK mags. Thus, the KS-47. (CMMG and RRA are the only other ones I know that take AK mags, and they're both more expensive.)

I don't know about Bear Creek per se, but their predecessor company, Moore Machine, had a pretty poor reputation.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Langenator wrote:I want one that takes AK mags. Thus, the KS-47. (CMMG and RRA are the only other ones I know that take AK mags, and they're both more expensive.)

I don't know about Bear Creek per se, but their predecessor company, Moore Machine, had a pretty poor reputation.
I wanna say I remember the KS47 being around $800

And I think Bear Creek has improved over old Moore, but on a budget, it'd have to be a great deal for me to take them over PSA

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 pm

You can find Wasrs for $500 ,screw PSAs AK.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 pm

JF89 wrote:You can find Wasrs for $500 ,screw PSAs AK.
They're talking about the PSA KS47......an AR-type rifle that uses AK47/AKM magazines.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 pm

RickOShea wrote:
They're talking about the PSA KS47......an AR-type rifle that uses AK47/AKM magazines.

Plus, I already have a WASR. Which is why I have a ton of AK mags.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:23 am

RickOShea wrote:

Lol Sorry about that. PSA>Bear creek by far only two I've shot chambered in 7.62x39, the bear creek feels real cheap compared to the PSA and while PSA has sketchy QC at times that one bear creek was a real pita for my buddy from no staked castle nut or red loctite to the barrel nut being way over torqued...there was probably more but these are what I remember.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm

I had the standard AR format in 7.62x39 from PSA. It was rock solid. No idea on the one that take AK mags. that is all.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm curious if anyone could lay out the hierarchy of AR parts manufacturers?
I suspect I see over representation of lower quality brands, who choose to supply the Canadian market, while top tier manufacturers don't bother jumping through as many ITAR hoops because they are happy with the much larger American audience. So, curious how far players such as DPMS, Bushmaster, etc fall behind in comparison to Daniel Defense and Colt.
A comprehensive list is obviously beyond the scope of this thread, there's just too many manufacturers, just looking for a starting point.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”