Biggest carcass splitter so far

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Biggest carcass splitter so far

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

I just mailed off an interesting project: The biggest carcass splitter I've built to date. It was the widest and heaviest blade I've made (though not the longest), and I really want to make more. Probably will have one on my table at the Blade Show in June.

Imagecarcassplitterfinal by James Helm, on Flickr

The blade is 18" long by 3 1/2" wide, with an overall length of 40 1/2".

Its size made it difficult to take a picture that really showed the size and proportions correctly, but I got a few, and shot a video comparing it with an antique carcass splitter I was given by a customer.

Here's the starting blank, cut from 1/4" x 3" 5160.

Imagecarcasssplitter02 by James Helm, on Flickr

After forging out, the blade was about 4" at its widest, though after trimming the end to be aesthetically pleasing, it was 3 1/2".

Imagecarcasssplitter04 by James Helm, on Flickr

Comparison with the antique carcass splitter.

Imagecarcasssplitter08 by James Helm, on Flickr

Ready to heat treat. To give an idea of size, my anvil is 148 lbs, and the face is about 4" x 15".

Imagecarcasssplitter08c by James Helm, on Flickr

It was so large, I couldn't fit the whole thing into my kiln that I use to draw temper. I ended up holding the kiln lid open with firebricks, then filling in the gap with various bits of broken fire brick. If you look closely, the end of the tang is poking out between two bricks just under the little angled tab on the lid.

Imagecarcasssplitter09 by James Helm, on Flickr

Ready for mischief!

Imagecarcasssplitter13 by James Helm, on Flickr

There is a better look at both carcass splitters, more details, more construction pics, wildly irresponsible swinging about of an 18" long razor-like blade, and general silliness in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nasLRvE ... e=youtu.be
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Biggest carcass splitter so far

Post by yossarian » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 am

That's the same kiln my wife has. She wants to know if you converted it to gas.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm

The Paragon is a three-phase kiln with a digital controller. I use it for tempering, meaning low temps. I got it for its large chamber, allowing me to easily fit in bush swords and tomahawks.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Part of me wants a carcass splitter just for the heck of it, but the more practical side says "You have no real use for one." and that's the side that controls my wallet.

So instead, I'll just look at the pictures of the carcass splitter Storm Crow made and dream. About all I can do right now anyway since I blew my gun and knife fund on Christmas gifts last year. :lol:

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Part of me wants a carcass splitter just for the heck of it, but the more practical side says "You have no real use for one." and that's the side that controls my wallet.

So instead, I'll just look at the pictures of the carcass splitter Storm Crow made and dream. About all I can do right now anyway since I blew my gun and knife fund on Christmas gifts last year. :lol:
"Carcass splitter" is code word for zombie killer. So, 'prep item', and back in GunFund queue for purchase. FIFY :clap:

90% of GunFund purchases are mentally justified, then budgeted and planned out. The other half are 'just gotta have it!'

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Part of me wants a carcass splitter just for the heck of it, but the more practical side says "You have no real use for one." and that's the side that controls my wallet.

"Carcass splitter" is code word for zombie killer. So, 'prep item', and back in GunFund queue for purchase. FIFY :clap:

90% of GunFund purchases are mentally justified, then budgeted and planned out. The other half are 'just gotta have it!'
Good point, Mac. :lol:

It'll be awhile before I can get a carcass splitter or any other Storm Crow blade, but the time will come when I get one. It may be a few years, though.

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Not practical? What else you gonna split yer carcasses with? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I recently saw a video of one being used to break down the carcass of a hog that looked to be the size of a fully grown bull. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Got some steel in to make some more at some point in the future. At least by June for the Blade Show.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 am

Storm Crow wrote:Not practical? What else you gonna split yer carcasses with? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I recently saw a video of one being used to break down the carcass of a hog that looked to be the size of a fully grown bull. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Got some steel in to make some more at some point in the future. At least by June for the Blade Show.
Sadly, I have no carcasses to split, but I guess this gives me an excuse to get some friends together and go hog hunting. :clap:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 am

Storm Crow wrote:Not practical? What else you gonna split yer carcasses with? :mrgreen:

I'd love to start hunting hogs, but they are not this far North yet. Which is good and bad. I need to visit my ZS brethern in Texas someday and help thin the pest problem.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 am

woodsghost wrote:

I'd love to start hunting hogs, but they are not this far North yet. Which is good and bad. I need to visit my ZS brethern in Texas someday and help thin the pest problem.
Be thankful they're not! They are now in upstate NY---tearing up crops

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am

gundogs wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Be thankful they're not! They are now in upstate NY---tearing up crops
Ok. Hogs are not this far North and West. But they are in the state below us.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Other Weapons”