It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:41 pm 

Hello all

with several components of my survival kit nearing expiration I though it would be a good time to streamline it.

changing my survival kit to a 2 part, with the intention of lasting at least 24 hours part A is 1200 calories of the most compact food I can find (probably some sort of candy) part B will be the survival kit

At the moment, I'm looking at water purification tablets, which type is best to be stored in a small container?, is it safe to repackage tabs?

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 pm 

taipan821 wrote:
Hello all

with several components of my survival kit nearing expiration I though it would be a good time to streamline it.

changing my survival kit to a 2 part, with the intention of lasting at least 24 hours part A is 1200 calories of the most compact food I can find (probably some sort of candy) part B will be the survival kit

At the moment, I'm looking at water purification tablets, which type is best to be stored in a small container?, is it safe to repackage tabs?

My memory is the Katadyne Micropour tablets are about the best you can buy. No, I would never take them out of the foil packing unless using. That would expose them to oxygen and degrade them.

I have not looked at water tablets in maybe 5 years, so tech may have moved on.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 am 

For food I like Pro Bar Meals. Usally about 100 cal more than Cliff bars.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Outside of the box, you could learn something new. Crazy but clear instructions here:

Pemmican: The Original MRE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:27 pm 

Asymetryczna wrote:
Outside of the box, you could learn something new. Crazy but clear instructions here:

Pemmican: The Original MRE

I've been looking at that stuff for a long time. Up to now I did not see a recipe I thought I could produce. But I'll have to check this out.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 am 

You probably shouldn't use candy as a food source. Or even a ration bar. Take advantage of that weight and throw in some dehydrated meals like mountain house. You'll be much better served. Physically and mentally. Or make up your own with Knorr food packs and tuna or chicken in foil. There are many recipes for this on the site.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 pm 

These days I think more and more about Atkins meal replacement diet bars.
1.7 oz for 200 calories. your 1200 calorie goal would weigh in at 10.2 oz.
The benefit is that these are designed to help you skip meals and feel full. I use them at work when I am too busy to take a break and get lunch and they work pretty well. MSRP about $9/ box of 5 you goal should cost less than $20.

I just picked a mountain house meal at random and the chicken and mashed potatoes gives you 420 calories in a 3.7 oz package. That would mean that to get at least 1200 calories you would need 3 pack or 11.1 oz for 1260 calories. MSRP $10.99 each or $36 for your goal

These seem about the same.

meal replacement bars;
no cooking or spork needed
cheaper
always eaten cold
hard to season or add to something else to it

If you are carrying a pot anyway, maybe Atkins bars and bullion cubes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:00 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

woodsghost wrote:
taipan821 wrote:
Hello all

My memory is the Katadyne Micropour tablets are about the best you can buy. No, I would never take them out of the foil packing unless using. That would expose them to oxygen and degrade them.

I have not looked at water tablets in maybe 5 years, so tech may have moved on.

Near as I can tell they're still the best.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am 

moab wrote:
You probably shouldn't use candy as a food source. Or even a ration bar. Take advantage of that weight and throw in some dehydrated meals like mountain house. You'll be much better served. Physically and mentally. Or make up your own with Knorr food packs and tuna or chicken in foil. There are many recipes for this on the site.

dehydrated meals are great, I carry a meal with the chemical heater, the emergency ration is more for the "we're out here for longer than intended" scenario, an example would be a prolonged hike to and from the search area, further than what you were briefed for. or a prolonged search in a remote area, or a supplement to a provided meal which is lacking (museli bar and an apple for lunch...really?)

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 am 

taipan821 wrote:
moab wrote:

dehydrated meals are great, I carry a meal with the chemical heater, the emergency ration is more for the "we're out here for longer than intended" scenario, an example would be a prolonged hike to and from the search area, further than what you were briefed for. or a prolonged search in a remote area, or a supplement to a provided meal which is lacking (museli bar and an apple for lunch...really?)

Dehydrated weighs a lot less than emergency rations. And you really should try eating emergency rations for a couple days. They were originally meant for lifeboats. Where there is very little physical movement. And water might not be available to rehydrate dehydrated meals. They really make you feel like shit. It's basically a big cookie. The apple & cinnamon ones taste great. But it's like a big carbo ball in your gut. With a bunch of sugar added. AFter a day you feel terrible. And much less likely to be humping the hills fast. And they really are heavy. (I forget if this threads OP is on foot or not.) Whatever you take - try it first. For a couple days. See how you do on it. You'll be really glad when you've made your own meals of a combination of dehydrated mountain house (and the like) and packs of tuna, mre bits and pieces, nuts, dried fruit, granola, chocolate, spices etc. etc. Variety and good whole foods are what your looking for.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

just throw iodine in the first aid kit. And use that to purify water?