Rohingya ethnic cleansing/refugee crisis

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Rohingya ethnic cleansing/refugee crisis

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:47 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21231.html

TL:DR, Burmese government has decided to get rid of their country's muslim minority by sending in military, burning villages down, shooting people, raping women etc. Huge numbers of that group (called Rohingya) have fled to neighboring Bangladesh. Bangladesh is majority muslim and has treated refugees decently so far, but is also a desperately poor country, so relations of Bangladeshis and Rohingya refugees are getting increasingly strained.

Also, as an aside (and I hope this isn't too political), they need to take Aung San Suu Kyi's Nobel Peace Prize back. Cheerleading ethnic cleansing that looks to be heading towards genocide should definitely disqualify you from keeping your Nobel Peace Prize...
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov

woodsghost

Re: Rohingya ethnic cleansing/refugee crisis

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm

The Burmese government have been dicks for a long time, and not just to Muslims. I'm glad some in the world are noticing. Hopefully this will get more attention.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 pm

Often times there are two sides to every 'story' i n the mass meida.

Sep 27, 2017 - Soldiers say they are still searching for another 48 missing Hindus who are feared dead after the discovery of mass graves in Rakhine state containing skeletal remains, including of women and children. Army chiefs say the villagers were killed by Rohingya militants who also attacked police outposts.
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/.../Roh ... anmar.html)

The Hindu refugees say they are scared of going back to their villages in Buddhist-majority Myanmar’s restive Rakhine state, but also wary of staying in mostly Muslim Bangladesh.

Modi’s government, meanwhile, is making it easier for Hindus, Buddhists, Christians and other minorities from Bangladesh and Pakistan to gain citizenship in India.
(http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... CZL5L.html)
Seems India is willing to provide some help.

https://www.thequint.com/news/world/who ... in-myanmar
Much of the killing is done by "unknown forces" Can't tell the players without a Program.

Could be Muslims, Could be Buddhists, could be.....

Some history of the region may be in order - https://www.irrawaddy.com/from-the-arch ... flict.html

So, yeah, a mess.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:40 pm

TacAir, every conflict has two sides. But saying the violence could be due to anybody is disingenuous. Let me know when half a million Burmese Buddhists are refugees fleeing burning villages, and I'll concede equivalence.

Also, in the linked article, it explained that India's Hindu nationalist government wants to deport their own Rohingya population, so they're not likely to be a safe haven for Rohingya from Myanmar. It looks like at most they might accept a token number of Hindu Rohingya for PR purposes.
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arakan_Ro ... ation_Army

A violent Islamist group called the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) is forcing all Rohingya males – even very young boys – to attack Rakhine Buddhists and other civilians and to provoke the Myanmar army into violence. This group has been getting its funding and weapons from Islamic countries like Pakistan and Malaysia and its training from al-Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan.

Over months, dozens of Muslims and Buddhists suspected of being informants for Myanmar's military had their throats slit or were hacked to death. n the early hours of August 25, hundreds of fighters from the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) simultaneously stormed 30 police posts and an army base in the townships of Maungdaw, Buthidaung and Ratheddaung. Equipped with hand-held explosive devices, machetes and a few small arms, they killed 10 police officers, a soldier and an immigration official. According to Myanmar's government, its security forces eventually got the upper hand in fierce battles, killing 77 insurgents and capturing one.

Bertil Lintner, a veteran analyst on Myanmar affairs, says that if ARSA's goal was to protect the Rohingya, as the group claims, the attacks backfired horribly.

"But the militants must have calculated the wider benefits that could be derived from the blowback," Lintner wrote in the Asia Times.

"The international publicity surrounding the Rohingya's plight has been unprecedented, promising new and potentially lucrative support from the Arab and Muslim worlds and more angry young men to recruit," he said.

The International Crisis Group (ICG) warned last December that ARSA is overseen by a committee of Rohingya emigres based in Saudi Arabia and has links to international jihadist organisations, although it has not attacked civilians or religious targets.

One extremist who has appeared in videos calling for jihad in Myanmar is Karachi-based Rohingya Abdul Qadoos Burmi, who has links to Lashkar-e-Taiba, or the Army of the Righteous, one of South Asia's largest terrorist organisations.

The group's fighters mingle with villagers and wear civilian clothes. Many of its estimated 500 fighters are conscripted villagers.

"ARSA itself may have been able to recruit angry and desperate young men among the Rohingya in Rakhine state and refugee camps in Bangladesh but, according to security analysts, there are 150-odd foreigners among them," Lintner said.

Lintner quotes security analysts saying fighters come from countries including Pakistan, Malaysia and southern Thailand and training camps have been run by veterans of the Afghan wars.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:07 pm

This has gone from a disaster discussion to politics and religion. We all know the rules about politics and religion. Political discussions are not permitted and political discussion about religion are likewise proscribed.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 pm

raptor wrote:This has gone from a disaster discussion to politics and religion. We all know the rules about politics and religion. Political discussions are not permitted and political discussion about religion are likewise proscribed.
I admire your generosity in calling it a Disaster discussion! :mrgreen: The first post was pretty far from that. I was surprised you didn't send SunYeti a PM and lock the thread right then and there. This is all about politics and religion and SunYeti knows it.
Sun Yeti wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21231.html

TL:DR, Burmese government has decided to get rid of their country's muslim minority by sending in military, burning villages down, shooting people, raping women etc. Huge numbers of that group (called Rohingya) have fled to neighboring Bangladesh. Bangladesh is majority muslim and has treated refugees decently so far, but is also a desperately poor country, so relations of Bangladeshis and Rohingya refugees are getting increasingly strained.

Also, as an aside (and I hope this isn't too political), they need to take Aung San Suu Kyi's Nobel Peace Prize back. Cheerleading ethnic cleansing that looks to be heading towards genocide should definitely disqualify you from keeping your Nobel Peace Prize...

That post only speaks to politics and religion and but it was left in place. I see no mention of hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, survival, preps etc. but I do see a war/insurgency between the government and the Rohingyas and there are numerous sources to clearly document it. Puerto Rico was and still is a disaster survival scenario. Myanmar is not.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Good point.
However, disasters are not limited to natural disasters. Man made disasters including mass murders and genocide do qualify for DICE...so long as the discussion is limited to the acts, impacts and preparations thereby avoiding the politics or religion of the causes.

We try to give a little leeway since unfortunately many such acts are motivated by politics and religion making it difficult to discuss without getting damn close to the "verboten" line. That said the conversations have veered beyond reasonable leeway, crossed the verboten line and gone straight into proscribed territory.

There was no one person was singled out for my warning out of courtesy to all, since the events were motivated by politics and religion and this difficult to discuss. That said after the above warning, any discussions delving into the politics and religion of the events will result in the topic being L&B'ed ... at the very least.

Thank you!

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”