Who has a vacuum sealer they like?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Who has a vacuum sealer they like?

Post by Flying Lead » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 pm

I have read reviews till my eyes have started to bleed. Typical review for a sealer under $150 is all over the place.
Five star reviews with raves. Three stars with stuff like it was great till it broke at 2 months. And one stars calling out the owner of the company with death threats.

What works?
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Who has a vacuum sealer they like?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 pm

I'll have to update with the one I have when I get home. I got it off amazon for like $30. It's small light, and works better than the industrial sized one my mom uses... It's some weird name but it's worked amazing for the last 4 months. I use it pretty heavily for sous vide, for freezer, and for making ghetto spamcans of ammo :awesome:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 am

I have a Foodsaver v3240. I use it mostly for sous vide and freezing, never gotten around to vac-sealing ammo. I probably fire it up a couple times a week for the last couple years. I'm willing to recommend it.

On the plus side, most foods are just a couple button pokes; it has a pressure sensor, so it's start-and-ignore. You can manually vacuum and seal if you want. I often "split" bags by folding them in half and sealing along the fold, which it seems to handle easily. It has a removable liquid tray, so if you have a bit of overflow you just pull that out and wash it.

Like most such vacuum sealers (e.g. not one of the $600 or whatever chamber sealers), it doesn't handle liquids or liquid things well. Thin liquids (e.g. steak juice) it will sorta push out of the way when mashing the sealing edges down, thicker liquids (e.g. milk in sous vide potatoes) cause me issues. I'll often put things in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to thicken up the liquids (without solidifying), then vacseal that.

It's got an accessory port, but I've not used it yet. Canning attachments, my parents have a lid for e.g. coffee cans, I don't remember what all.

The only two negatives I've run into aren't major. The roll storage adds height, but barely fits Foodsaver's own rolls; I'd probably rather just omit it. The "deck" is like 1.25" off the surface, so I usually pile a couple cutting boards to bring the bag being sealed up an inch or so; it might be nice if there were a "faceplate" that folded down to serve instead.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:23 am

The one I have is a waoaw

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075PXC3G2/re ... 3833796545

I think this is the newest model.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I have a "Food Saver". I bought the thing at Bi-Mart about five years ago or so. There's nothing about it that really gets my blood pumping but I don't remember it being expensive. Most importantly it still works.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:51 am

So much for photobucket. But here's my review of a great one and cheap bags that are thick.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90894&hilit=foodsaver
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:23 am

I was given a Food-Saver model for Christmas. Making a batch of Beef Jerky and a batch of Pemmican and I will be sealing it up. Can't wait to try it out.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”