10 days and counting...

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

10 days and counting...

Post by JohnE » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:05 pm

We hope to be closing on our 54 acre parcel of land on Jan.4.

Northern New Mexico, we have community water but will be off-grid solar and have a septic system for our other utilities.

Our 2 year plan involves selling our place in SoCal and then building a straw/adobe house. Couple of corrals, a much larger chicken coop and a vegetable garden.

Now we wait...
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: 10 days and counting...

Post by Beowolf » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:47 pm

SWEET!!

Have you posted more details on your plan? If not...will you?

Congrats!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:22 pm

First: CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Second: Pics or it didn't happen. Haha, of course keep OPSEC, but would love to see the terrain, vegetation, wildlife etc. That is one good size chunk of land. Could have quite a bit of good stuff there.

Lastly: I second Beowolf, I'd love to hear your plans. While only 1/10th your size I have so many projects on my 5 acres that right now I couldn't imagine all the work you'll have in front of you. Once again congrats!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Plans so far are as described.

Build a straw/adobe house with an off the grid solar setup, we're looking at the Tesla power wall as a possibility.

Water is metered from a community water co-op.

The terrain is pretty typical for Northern New Mexico, rolling hills, mostly scrub.

We're thinking chickens, both layers and meat birds, as big a garden as feasible with our water supply, and a couple of horses. Maybe some bee hives.

The size of the place is nice but since we won't be cultivating much of it, it'll remain mostly scrub with some areas fenced into individual pastures for the horses and an overall fence for equine and canine containment.

We've been looking for quite a while, had picked out a couple places that we were going to pursue when this place popped up on Zillow. It's been an interesting process. The sellers don't live in New Mexico and communication isn't their strong suit to put it mildly. We've been using a local real estate agent and a local attorney to work out all the details. Our agent gave us a 50/50 chance of the deal going through due to familial issues as well as personality issues with the sellers. With any luck we'll close on Jan. 4th.

I'll update as we move through the process.
Last edited by JohnE on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

texagonian

Post by texagonian » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm

I appreciate the supportive comments and interest.

Couple of small glitches have popped up and been dealt with, the wire transfer for payment went out yesterday so barring a complete breakdown on the sellers part we'll be closing next week.

Been getting organized for our "it's ours now" trip.

Taking some basic tools to check on water lines, fix some fences, layout our potential building site etc.

We'll be camping out on the property the day we close, really looking forward to that.

First actual project will most likely be a complete fencing condition survey around the perimeter, there's a lot of older fencing already in place but we need to ensure that the horses won't be able to get out so that will be our first priority. Planning on barbless wire for the overall and steel gates and pipe fencing as needed for the horse corral(s) and the eventual driveway(s). We also want to use the fencing to mark our property lines more effectively. One of the issues in the sale was an outdated, hazy on accuracy survey of the property. It's never been used as residential property and over the decades there have been some discrepancies that we had to get addressed so the fence will help put some of that to rest as well as keeping our eventual horses safe.

We can only have a temporary structure or mobile structure on the place during actual construction so we'll be camping out on our earliest visits and then probably buying some sort of temp/mobile housing to be sold once we finish building the house. We're also planning on leaving a vehicle parked in long term parking at a nearby airport for use when we fly in. Long term parking is cheaper (by far) than an actual storage facility and it will be much more convenient to fly in, grab a free shuttle to the parking lot and then drive up to our place than it would be to use a storage facility in Santa Fe or elsewhere. We can also store equipment, tools, and some limited supplies in the parked vehicle for our use while in town. The lot we're using is well fenced, has 24 hour live security on-site and it's cheap!

More to come...
John E

Dark_Rhodes
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, the first Resident Evil, the last Resident Evil, Walking Dead

Post by Dark_Rhodes » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Congrats John,

I used to live in the boonies of East Tucson (lots of desert scrub).

Make sure you leave yourself a solid, clean-cut buffer zone.

We had some terrible fires out in Tucson a couple years before I left.

Desert scrub burns fast and very hot. Watched it torch a fire truck that was too close to the side of the dirt road when the fire rolled in.

Good luck, great you got out of CA. I'm still stuck here!

Mike.

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm

We are here in New Mexico.

Did our final inspection of the property earlier today. Found the likely building spot and a few other places.

Met the sellers who were there taking care of some last minute details.

We close in less than 2 days...

Can't come fast enough for me.
John E

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm

And it's ours...

We closed on the 4th as planned, deed and survey have been recorded with the county and we even got a small refund of our escrow funds!

Back home now and making plans.

More to come...
John E

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

One thing, long term parking while cheaper isn't really that cheap. I suggest as someone who's worked at an airport for 10+ years now, is this. Go to a motel that offers "airport parking" they often have a free shuttle to and from. Ask them what it would cost for monthly/yearly rate. Most will jump at the opportunity for extra income. I know lots of people I used to work with who didn't get paid parking at the employee lot would do this. it would be $20/mo most of the time at one of the fastest growing airports. TUS isn't a real busy airport I'm sure it wont be much more or less than that.

Keep us posted! Can't wait to follow along!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 am

Back to New Mexico...

Heading back out on Sunday, need to start getting some excavating work done along with our eventual residency and other legal stuff sorted out.

Planning for a culvert along the road to keep some flooding and erosion problems in what will be our driveway from getting worse. Wondering if I could make a small pond using runoff water to fill?

More to come...
John E

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 am

Pictures.

Do you have water rights for the land?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm

JohnE wrote:Back to New Mexico...

Heading back out on Sunday, need to start getting some excavating work done along with our eventual residency and other legal stuff sorted out.

Planning for a culvert along the road to keep some flooding and erosion problems in what will be our driveway from getting worse. Wondering if I could make a small pond using runoff water to fill?

More to come...
A pond in NM? I guess it could be done. Mostly out West I saw containment areas that tend to swell like you might need to build an Arc then dry up quickly. I always though this might be a good system in a dry areas (like West Kansas):

http://www.kclandscapes.com/Rain-Water- ... s-City.php
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am

Not too much to report.

Met with a couple of guys to get the excavation estimates done, took care of a few eventual residency issues and just generally hung out.

The more I go the more I don't want to leave...
John E

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:11 am

Couple of quick updates.

Went back out a few weeks ago, mended some barbed wire fences and looked into getting the new gate installed for the eventual driveway. Got a couple thousand feet of fence to install too...gonna buy the tools and try doing as much as we can by ourselves. Probably pay to have the larger reinforcing fenceposts installed and we'll drive the metal T-posts and run the wire.

We met with our builders while in town, turns out they fired a client which changed their schedule for the rest of the year. That means they can move our project up on the list so we should be breaking ground quite a bit sooner than originally planned. The builders also have a sub-contractor they work with who does excavation work on the side. They're going to get us an estimate on getting the driveway leveled and the drainage culvert installed. Needs to be done before we break ground on the house. They're confident that they can do it for less than the other estimates I've gotten. They've also donated an outhouse to us! For use by the construction crew or anyone else working on the place. They even offered to deliver it and install it on their dime!

All of the above means we've got to get our current house fixed up and on the market by August.

We've already scheduled the painters and we've worked up a list of "to do's" in order to increase the curb appeal a bit. Doing some upgrades to my workshop in anticipation of some of the house projects. I've always been very good at rationalizing additional tool purchases...;^)

We've also gotten a letter from a cell tower locating/installation company about leasing a small piece of our land for a new cell tower. I don't think it's gonna work out due to the restrictive covenants in place but they're coming out to scout the property next week. Might be able to make it work, the extra income would be sweet.

More to come...
John E

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”