RVs

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: RVs

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

RollinWOT wrote:
MPMalloy wrote: What do you think of Sportsmobile? Have you ever worked on one?
I do like the Sportsmobiles. They are usually converted from a proven 4x4 truck chassis. The ones I have seen are Ford Econolines with front suspensions and axles from the F250 Super Duties, but IDK about any of the Dodge or Chevy 4x4 sportsmobile style vans, I assume they would also use in-house vehicle swaps by staying with manufacturer specific parts i.e. Ram 2500 swaps for a Dodge B-series van or Silverado HD swaps for a Chevy Express. Most of those are just as good as their 2wd counterparts, with added clearance and body cutting to accommodate the T-case and front solid axle. I would love to see an older Econoline done with the TTB 4x4 front suspension instead of a solid axle., but at that point, it's basically a 4x4 Explorer, just a bit larger. I mean for a while they made the Explorer with 4x4 and a 5.0L V8.
Thank you. Right now, the Sportsmobile is edging out RoadTrek with me. I want better off-road capability.

RollinWOT
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: RVs

Post by RollinWOT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm

MPMalloy wrote: Thank you. Right now, the Sportsmobile is edging out RoadTrek with me. I want better off-road capability.
You will like the Sportsmobile. Roadtreks aren't too bad either, but they are just too low slung for me. A customer of mine has a Roadtrek B-series Dodge van and it is very nice, but the interior isn't holding up well. The Sportsmobiles i have een are much better build quality. Another customer of mine has just a regular 2wd Econoline conversion van that we put some bigger mud terrain tires on, and he takes that thing all over the place, even only being 2wd. If price is a deciding factor, maybe just opt for a 2wd conversion van and put some mud tires on it. One of my two Rangers had a set of Nexen M/Ts on it, and it is 2wd, I have been places I never thought possible in a 2wd truck.

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: RVs

Post by EBuff75 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

There was a 1994 Revcon Trailblazer for sale on eBay recently (sale ended yesterday), but it's quite pricey! Starting bid was $45,000 and it's a Class C, but it's a pretty amazing looking rig! It didn't receive any bids and the links on the page point to a listing that goes back almost 3 years, so it appears they've been having trouble finding anyone willing to pay their asking price.

Here's the expired listing on eBay: http://r.ebay.com/3WNqn6
And the outside links on the page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8XV16 ... &index=759
https://usedrvforsale.blogspot.com/2015 ... rhome.html

User avatar
Neville
* * * *
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: RVs

Post by Neville » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Yes i have a 25' travel trailer that is towed by my 4wd BOV.

This combo gives me a lot of options. I retrofitted it with a mondo battery bank and solar panels for off grid camping. I spend 4-5 weeks a year living in it and have been quite comfortable. Though it is a different lifestyle.

It provides a very liveable transitional living situation if you need to up and go for whatever reason.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: RVs

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Funny thing.... One of the options for living situation the GF and I have discussed would be, getting an RV parking it on the property and living in it for a couple years. It wouldn't be idea for the reasons we've discussed on here already, but the nice thing about an RV is that it would be "move in ready" as soon as you park it. Of course I'd want to do some modifications to it like adding a wood stove. I chuckled when the gf and I discussed this because I thought of this post.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: RVs

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Halfapint wrote:Funny thing.... One of the options for living situation the GF and I have discussed would be, getting an RV parking it on the property and living in it for a couple years. It wouldn't be idea for the reasons we've discussed on here already, but the nice thing about an RV is that it would be "move in ready" as soon as you park it. Of course I'd want to do some modifications to it like adding a wood stove. I chuckled when the gf and I discussed this because I thought of this post.
You can put a wood stove in an RV?

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: RVs

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:25 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Funny thing.... One of the options for living situation the GF and I have discussed would be, getting an RV parking it on the property and living in it for a couple years. It wouldn't be idea for the reasons we've discussed on here already, but the nice thing about an RV is that it would be "move in ready" as soon as you park it. Of course I'd want to do some modifications to it like adding a wood stove. I chuckled when the gf and I discussed this because I thought of this post.
You can put a wood stove in an RV?
Go back one page in this thread and I posted a picture of one. But yes you can, precautions need to be taken of course, and you're probably going to have to cut a hole in your roof unless you knock a window out and put in a 90 degree bend in the pipe. I mean if you can put a stove inside a tent, an RV should be easy!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RollinWOT
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: RVs

Post by RollinWOT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote: You can put a wood stove in an RV?
Yes, woodstoves are actually pretty common in some of the older European RVs, and my dad's old Dodge B-series B-class RV had a woodstove that we built in place. They obviously need to be in good airflow areas, have a ton of heat insulation around the chimney, and have shutters to shut off O2 flow. Pretty good setup imo.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: RVs

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm

RollinWOT wrote:
MPMalloy wrote: You can put a wood stove in an RV?
Yes, woodstoves are actually pretty common in some of the older European RVs, and my dad's old Dodge B-series B-class RV had a woodstove that we built in place. They obviously need to be in good airflow areas, have a ton of heat insulation around the chimney, and have shutters to shut off O2 flow. Pretty good setup imo.

Out in my area, a ton of single wide mobile homes have wood burners. I don't see what the same principles can't be applied to a stationary RV. But then again, I've never done either.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: RVs

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm

491,200 RVs : Forecasted wholesale RV shipments in 2018, the highest number of recreational vehicles sold in a given year going back to the late seventies.
Hipsters Go Glamping, and RV Makers Soar
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Contact:

Re: RVs

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: RVs

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.
Win the lottery, get an Earthroamer. :D

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Contact:

Re: RVs

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.
Win the lottery, get an Earthroamer. :D
I wish! I would if I did. Sure beats landlords and cities.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: RVs

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:54 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.
Win the lottery, get an Earthroamer. :D
I wish! I would if I did. Sure beats landlords and cities.
The HD roamer start @ only $750,000.00

That's chump change if you can win the Powerball. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Barnabus
* * *
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Jefferson County, Alabama

Re: RVs

Post by Barnabus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am

I like this lady's YouTube channel, she lives fulltime in her RV

Carolyn's RV Life
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqr5I ... a1PeKi0_ig
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Family Prep”