It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am 

woodsghost wrote:
I was thinking the Yeasu 2980 was dual band but it is not. That simplifies things. So now I don't have to worry about 70cm coax. I'll just use my Baofeng if I need to do 70cm.

I'll poke around and shop for RG8. And any advice anyone want so drop on me I'm all ears!

Thanks a bunch!

Not RG8, you want RG8X. The X is important as it denotes the small diameter version.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:01 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
So I'm learning radios are like pets. You get a good deal on the dog, then you have to buy dog dishes, scratching post, food, toys, grooming supplies, and then you realize the scratching post is for cats but gee, you have all the gear, why not get another dog?

I just wanted to quote this because it's the most awesome thing I've read on the internet in months, maybe all year.

And it's so true.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am 

So battery question:

So I need a gel cell. I've figured out what what that is and some sources for them. I'm finding not all sources are very clear about what one is buying.

The Yeasu needs 15A at 80w and 9A at 30w. As I understand the theory, a 7ah battery should work for an hour at 7A draw. Obviously there are issues with continuous draw, and I'll maybe have to email some sellers. Can I run 9A for less than an hour off a 7ah battery?

Can I run 15A draw on a 7ah battery for 20-25 minutes?

What if I set up 2x 7ah batteries either in parallel or in series?

At this point some cool things have been worked out with my buddy 70 miles away and I don't know that I will need to reach out that far with my personal radio for emcomms. So that takes some urgency out of things, but now I'm thinking I want to set the Yeasu up for light base station use at 10w, but start to go vehicle mobile and push that 80w out there. With that I think I'll run the radio off the car's battery, if possible. That way I can fart around locally but have some power and projection if the poop flies.

I also want to have some ability to take the Yeasu into the woods and maybe call from some of the local tall hills (we don't have mountains. We barely have tall hills). So I still want this to be battery operated and man-packable with my other BOB gear.

For batteries I'm looking at this kit and thinking about getting another 7ah battery.

http://www.qsradio.com/phone/shop-now.h ... y=13274013

It looks like all I need in one sitting from a reputable dealer with an eye towards the needs of ham radio. If you all think I need to look in another direction let me know.

If anyone has thoughts on how to accomplish my goals (local fun comms with vehicle & foot mobile emcoms) let me know! I'm all ears :)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 am 

If I don't get back to you on this in a day or two please remind me. I'm on my phone now and it's a PITA to type on. I'll try to remember to answer this when I get home but they say when you reach my age your memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first was.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
If I don't get back to you on this in a day or two please remind me. I'm on my phone now and it's a PITA to type on. I'll try to remember to answer this when I get home but they say when you reach my age your memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first was.

Haha I'm typing on my phone too. Thanks!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:06 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
So battery question:

So I need a gel cell. I've figured out what what that is and some sources for them. I'm finding not all sources are very clear about what one is buying.

The Yeasu needs 15A at 80w and 9A at 30w. As I understand the theory, a 7ah battery should work for an hour at 7A draw. Obviously there are issues with continuous draw, and I'll maybe have to email some sellers. Can I run 9A for less than an hour off a 7ah battery?

Can I run 15A draw on a 7ah battery for 20-25 minutes?

What if I set up 2x 7ah batteries either in parallel or in series?

At this point some cool things have been worked out with my buddy 70 miles away and I don't know that I will need to reach out that far with my personal radio for emcomms. So that takes some urgency out of things, but now I'm thinking I want to set the Yeasu up for light base station use at 10w, but start to go vehicle mobile and push that 80w out there. With that I think I'll run the radio off the car's battery, if possible. That way I can fart around locally but have some power and projection if the poop flies.

I also want to have some ability to take the Yeasu into the woods and maybe call from some of the local tall hills (we don't have mountains. We barely have tall hills). So I still want this to be battery operated and man-packable with my other BOB gear.

For batteries I'm looking at this kit and thinking about getting another 7ah battery.

http://www.qsradio.com/phone/shop-now.h ... y=13274013

It looks like all I need in one sitting from a reputable dealer with an eye towards the needs of ham radio. If you all think I need to look in another direction let me know.

If anyone has thoughts on how to accomplish my goals (local fun comms with vehicle & foot mobile emcoms) let me know! I'm all ears :)

Okay, let me address your questions:

• Yes, you can run 9A off a 7Ah (that capital A is important) for less than an hour
  • Ditto 15A for 20-25 minutes
  • Parallel, not series. Parallel doubles current capacity, series doubles voltage. Two 7Ah in parallel will give you 14Ah, but weigh about the same as a 15Ah due to there being two cases.
  • Running off 12VDC (actually closer to 13.8 but we won't quibble) as a mobile is what that radio was built for, so no problem using it on the vehicle battery.
  • Interesting kit but expensive. Those batteries are generally about $25 (try your local Batteries Plus store) and that hookup is using about $3 worth of wire, spade connectors, heat shrink and power poles. You can make a kit like it (or better) for less money.
  • You're going to soon get really tired of moving the radio around, Plan now on buying a second rig soon so you can keep one in the car without having to unbolt it all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm 

Thank you KJ4VOV!

And thank you to everyone posting here. I really am learning a ton from you all. I'm running into some good stuff and some garbage on the internet. You all are helping me sift through it and better understand something that seriously new to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 pm 

I think I'm getting my power source options down. I ordered a 15Ah 12v gel cell and charger last night. I forgot to order coax but this lets me ask:

Is it worth it to invest in good coax? ABR Industries is sweet talking me with their advertisements touting their low loss and durability. Looking at their 218XA (RG8X equivalent?) it seems the loss at 150mhz is still pretty high (43.5% efficiency, so only for short runs). But I've been reading to be wary of cheap coax with low durability and high loss due to cheap construction and materials.

I'll have to figure out vehicle mobile options at some point, but are there recommendations out there?

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
I think I'm getting my power source options down. I ordered a 15Ah 12v gel cell and charger last night. I forgot to order coax but this lets me ask:

Is it worth it to invest in good coax? ABR Industries is sweet talking me with their advertisements touting their low loss and durability. Looking at their 218XA (RG8X equivalent?) it seems the loss at 150mhz is still pretty high (43.5% efficiency, so only for short runs). But I've been reading to be wary of cheap coax with low durability and high loss due to cheap construction and materials.

I'll have to figure out vehicle mobile options at some point, but are there recommendations out there?

Thanks for the advice!

It absolutely makes a huge difference, cheap coax vs. the good stuff. I'll give you an example. A buddy of mine (I have his permission to post his call but he's not a member, not sure that's good enough for the mods) bought a new HF antenna (Buckmaster 160m) and he and I busted our asses for two days getting it setup, only to find that the SWR was much worse than it should have been on all the bands, but especially 80m. Since he runs a nice old Henry amp at full legal limit, getting the SWR down was a priority. It turned out the antenna was only usable on 80m with a tuner (something the manufacturer didn't make clear) but since it was locally made he contacted them and they agreed to swap him for their version good on 80m and give a proportionate refund. Out we go, taking it down again then putting the new one up. SWR on all the bands was still higher than he wanted so we start looking at what might be affecting the antenna. After eliminating the metal gutters on his house and other metal around his yard (he lives on a farm) we narrow the search to the coax. He thinks the coax might be resonate at 80m so we add a section. Still high SWR. Get out his analyser and test the coax and it's bad, nowhere near spec. Cut off the connectors and test it again (in case of a connector issue) and it's still bad. Take down the antenna again (3 days later because of rain) and replace the coax with name brand, SWR drops to 1:1

tl;dr: Buy the very best coax your budget will stand for. It'll pay off in less issues down the road and a better signal.

As far as mobile rigs... get your feet a little wetter, move the rig into the vehicle and operate from there for a few months. By then you'll have a better feel for the things you like and don't like in a rig, and will be better able to pick one you'll be happy with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm 

Great example!

I've been thinking I'll use a ladder line J-pole in the apartment and in the woods, and that would require some measure of coax. But I'm also thinking about a mag mount I can use in the apartment and the vehicle. Which would also require some coax, but maybe not enough to matter?

Those are my antenna thoughts at the moment.

I'm hearing you say that mag mount and mobile set-up may get me the ... pun intended... most milage out of my beginner set-up?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
Great example!

I've been thinking I'll use a ladder line J-pole in the apartment and in the woods, and that would require some measure of coax. But I'm also thinking about a mag mount I can use in the apartment and the vehicle. Which would also require some coax, but maybe not enough to matter?

Those are my antenna thoughts at the moment.

I'm hearing you say that mag mount and mobile set-up may get me the ... pun intended... most milage out of my beginner set-up?

How much time do you spend in the vehicle each day? If it's more than an hour total then it's probably your best location for the rig. It'll give you a chance to use the local repeaters and start making contacts. Start out using the radio while parked and work up from there once you're familiar with all the controls so you're not fumbling for them while driving. It's like when you first started carrying a firearm. Took you time to get used to it, familiar with it enough you don't even have to think much about it anymore and you stopped fiddling with it making adjustments, didn't it? Same with a new radio.