It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 pm 

I just discovered this neat tool on Walgreens.com. I use Walgreens for all my pharmacy needs. And I'm sure most other pharmacies have this capability. But you can set each of your prescriptions to automatically refill the first day they are allowed to be on your online account.

Which means at least 4 days in advance. If not more. Depending on the med.

So whenever I pick up my latest script I throw the old bottle (with the extra pills from last month) in a box. And at the end of the year or six months or what have you - I'm going to consolidate them into one bottle for each prescription.

Some renew even faster. And some I don't take quite all of the medication as directed. So I've got quite a stock pile put together already. I figure at the end of a year I should have well over an extra months supply of meds on hand. I also keep them in the first bottle I threw in the box. So you have the oldest expiration date. Just to be sure. Not that they aren't any good after that. But at least you have a good indication of how long they should last or remain effective. And you've got good original pharmacy bottles, with correct names/doses/dates - with all your meds in them incase you get asked or stopped by LE.

You end up paying a little early for all your meds. But it's an easy - set and forget - method or storing additional medication. Especially if your health is dependant on it like me.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 pm 

That sounds pretty neat! But why are you tossing the old bottle with leftovers in a box? I'd imagine it would be better to use up the old stuff to keep a stash of the freshest stuff you can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 pm 

That is a good tip, Moab. Norcalprep makes a good point too...It might be a little harder to immediately visualize how much extra supply you have, but if you just used-up the bottles in FIFO order, you would be keeping the "extra" amount carried over in the newest bottle automatically. It wouldn't require any extra sorting and it would help ensure that the "reserve" stock is relatively fresh. Eventually I suspect you'd just be cracking open last month's bottle by the time you got this month's refill.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I do something similar, although more informally. I do exactly what JayceSlayn and norcalprep suggest however, making sure to always use the oldest stock first.

I've been doing this for years and now have about a three month reserve supply of my blood pressure meds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:52 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I also do something similar with the 2 meds I take.
In my case I take 50 mg of one script but the 100 mg tablet is basically the same price. So I got my MD to write the RX for the 100 mg dose and simple break the pill in half. I order the script in a 90 day supply so it works out to a 180 day supply. So between the early refills and 2x dosage it is very easy to get a lawful supply and I save money since I get 2x the meds for the same price.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You do not want to mix lot numbers. In case of a recall (they happen) you will not know which lot number you have.

What raptor said. Pill splitters are crazy cheap.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Last edited by MPMalloy on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am 

raptor wrote:
In my case I take 50 mg of one script but the 100 mg tablet is basically the same price. So I got my MD to write the RX for the 100 mg dose and simple break the pill in half. I order the script in a 90 day supply so it works out to a 180 day supply. So between the early refills and 2x dosage it is very easy to get a lawful supply and I save money since I get 2x the meds for the same price.

Huh. In my state a Dr can only legally write an Rx for what he/she actually precribes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Pill splitters are a commonly used item for exactly this purpose. It is lawful as long as the M.D. prescribes it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/g ... edication/

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:15 pm 

raptor wrote:

I do the same thing. Except sometimes I just say I need more. So when they double up. I just use one less pill. Or a splitter. I have one med that is 4 times a day. But I only really take it twice or maybe three times.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:16 pm 

gundogs wrote:
raptor wrote:

Huh. In my state a Dr can only legally write an Rx for what he/she actually precribes

I typically just say I need more than I actually do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm 

Depending on the drug, chances are a lot of doctors would be amenable to writing you an extra prescription so you can have some extra on-hand for whatever occasion makes it hard to get your prescription refilled the week it runs out. Obviously that's not an option with anything more controlled, but I have a hard time seeing a physician objecting to making sure you have a spare month's worth of thyroid or diabetes or cholesterol med on-hand. Insurance companies may be another matter, though.