Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a personal survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Towanda

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by Towanda » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Product: one Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif Bar and one Chocolate Chip Clif Bar.
Best By date: August 7, 2016
Consumed date: October 24, 2017

Both bars were a little darker than their usual color, probably from having partially melted and then re-solidified on a camping trip in...the first year I owned them. Both bars were a little drier than usual. Both bars tasted slightly stale. The stale flavor might have had more to do with the wrappers and the box that the bars came in. The box had been stored in a plastic tote that had been stacked on top of another plastic tote that is full of citronella candle buckets. The smell from the candles had permeated both totes, making the cardboard box and Mylar wrappers containing the Clif bars also smell strongly of citronella candles. No ill effects have been noted.

An upcoming report will describe the effects of eating expired noodle and sauce sides whose envelopes also smell like citronella candles.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Product: Knorr Fiesta Sides Taco Rice
Best By date: April 29, 2017
Consumed date: November 5, 2017

The envelope that the rice came in had been sitting in a small Rubbermaid tote along with an assortment of citronella candles for a couple of years. After letting the envelope off-gas outside the tote for two weeks or so, the contents were prepared according to the instructions on the back of the envelope. Once the Taco Rice was prepared, an unmeasured quantity of Sriracha was added and the rice was consumed.

No odor of citronella was detected on the outside or the inside of the envelope, nor among the envelope's contents. Both the rice and vermicelli were completely done at the end of the stipulated cooking time, but there was a small quantity of liquid in the pot which had not been absorbed. It is possible that the vessel used to measure the cooking water is inaccurate. No off flavors or odors were detected while the dish was consumed. No ill effects observed.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 am

Crider canned boloney

exp Nov 2016

smelled o.k., fried and made sammiches, no ill effects.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Chicken Ramen Noodles, exp 2015

Taste find, still alive so far.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Interesting lesson today. While relocating some items in my storage room, I ran across several cases of water - standard 32 pack .5 liter bottles with promotional materials for wreckit ralph. Expiration was 2013. Opened a few for science and found a range from flat and plasticy to ralph.
2 of the bottles were judged toxic from the odor and no tasting was conducted.

Apparently bottled water, stored in a climate controlled area, does eventually go off.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 am

I was re-stocking food in the bug-out trailer and found three packs of Quaker instant oatmeal. My note with them said Dec 11, 2015 for expiration. They were in a ZipLoc baggie stored inside a SnapLock plastic container.

Squeeze test showed the Maple Brown Sugar to have a rock hard lump in it. Smell test for all three was a bit off so I will toss them.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

Oh yeah, if they smell funny I'd toss 'em, but we've eaten many with that lump of sugar & spice.
You just crumble it up again.
-
SRO1911, do you know the brand of that water from your storage room?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I don't know how to read the code on this smaller bottle of grape Gatorade but I found it where it had fallen down behind a bunch of venison in one of my freezers. I know we have not bought cases of these in 4 years or so. I let it thaw most of the way before taking a couple of drinks. It tasted like a cold drink of water with an after taste of too much sweetener and a very large dose of chemicals.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm

November 2, 2014
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:09 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... lmart.html

Family accidentally eats 21-year-old Quaker Oats cereal they got from Walmart

In case anyone was wondering about antique packaged Quaker Oats.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... lmart.html

I hear the jingling of nuisance change. :clownshoes:

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Stercutus wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... lmart.html

Luckily for him, the cereal — which was dated Feb. 22, 1997 — didn’t cause any problems.
see? exp dates don't always mean anything. :clap:

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Barnabus wrote:
...unless, of course, it's your's. :wink:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 pm

LowKey wrote:
Barnabus wrote:
...unless, of course, it's your's. :wink:
:lol:

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Couple items...
Sugary Sams cut yams, in syrup. Best by 10/16/2014
So, they were sweet and delicious. Yams are.
Duncan Hines Dark chocolate mint frosting. Best by 5/12/2016.
Foil intact, and chocolate. Its getting eaten. Great on cookies.
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm

I don't tend to use non-canned or dry good items past the time they are normally deemed good, but was cleaning out the fridge and found a half a loaf of pumpernickel bread. It had to have been from March because that was the last time I made Reubens. Surprisingly, it had absolutely nothing growing on it (bread lasts a long time in the fridge, but it normally starts to look fuzzy after a few months), looked good, smelled good, and had good texture. Tasted okay. Used some in meatloaf yesterday. Everyone ate it to no ill effects. Put it back in the fridge and reminded myself to try and use the rest of it soon.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Product: Betty Crocker Asian Hamburger Helper; Beef Fried Rice and Seasoning Mix
Best By date: 19JUNE2013
Consumed date: 16AUGUST2018

An old prep I purchased 1SEPT2012 according to what is written on the box with a Sharpie pen. Actually all I wrote was '9/12', but this was in the early days of my serious prepping, before I learned that writing out the full date code is way cooler and makes the food last longer.

This should have been rotated out at least four years ago. Oops.

I prepared it with about a 1/3 pound of chicken, not the full pound of hamburger the instructions call for. The only indication that it wasn't bought last week is the contents of the seasoning packet dropped into the simmering water as a single contiguous block. But it dissolved readily enough and the prepared dish tasted fine. The box indicates it serves 5 but that's ridiculous. There couldn't have been more than a cup of dried rice in there. I was able to eat the whole thing myself. I did skip lunch today however, so I was pretty hungry. If I had used the full pound of meat the recipe calls for, I can see this feeding two adults and one small child. Or one teenager.

Lesson learned: these boxed dinner helper mixes - at least the ones that come with dry seasoning (as opposed to concentrated sauce pouches) - last until the end of time or 6 years from date of purchase, whichever comes first. Actually, I have no real reason to doubt it wouldn't have been perfectly fine for another year or more.

Verdict: You know it's TEOTWAWKI when Great Wall Buffet stops serving takeout. This stuff is a poor substitute, but it's worth at least 50 rounds of .22lr if you're willing to throw in delivery as part of the barter.

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am

Product: Armour Lard
Best by date: DEC29 2019

Although this lard had over a year to go before not being "best", it became infested with gazillions of tiny grease ants. I didn't notice them, but my wife pointed them out. I normally use the lard to feed the cats - they are fed only cubed, raw chicken in lard. I also use it about once a week to fry pork chops in a skillet.
I didn't care and the cats didn't, either, so we consumed the whole pound, ants and all. They weren't even noticeable on the pork chops.

I apologize to everyone that I haven't yet gotten around to experimenting with the now-32 year-old split peas that I mentioned in my post of June 11, 2016. I guess that this is one of the few topics that gets better with age.
Undercooked brats bring out the wurst in people.

Return to “Personal Experiences”