Sub $500 Gun Safe?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

reddoginga

Re: Sub $500 Gun Safe?

Post by reddoginga » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 pm

I dont have a safe other the the tiny one that holds papers walmart sells it the.one u.carry i have inportant papers in it and it.stays under my bed. I been looking at larger safes ones hold a couple handguns at least i rent so.couldnt bolt down but.if had own.place would hide in small closet and bolt maybe even make a fake wall. Cant steal what you cant find right

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm

shooterm wrote:Keep your eyes open and just wait for a deal. I bought a Liberty Centurion 24 for $480 when they came out with new features. Electronic locks was a no go for me.
I've also been eyeballing the newly upgraded, "made in the usa" line of centurion safes myself. How you like it? I don't expect a bomb shelter, but I'm not buying a gym locker to put things in either.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387167-10283-CN24-BKT_0__

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Crap, I've been thinking too much again...

So if I get one of these http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows- ... SfJklrWg08

And one of these http://buyaccess.com/kaba-mas-la-gard-6 ... 26_a_7c66E

Then I would be well on the way to a walk in gun storage room...

shooterm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by shooterm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Tobias05 wrote:
shooterm wrote:Keep your eyes open and just wait for a deal. I bought a Liberty Centurion 24 for $480 when they came out with new features. Electronic locks was a no go for me.
I've also been eyeballing the newly upgraded, "made in the usa" line of centurion safes myself. How you like it? I don't expect a bomb shelter, but I'm not buying a gym locker to put things in either.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387167-10283-CN24-BKT_0__
Thats the one I have and really like it. Holds more then 24 guns :oops: . I wanted one show gun cabinet and a gun safe. I ended up not using the gun cabinet anymore tell my youngins get older and I have a more secure location. I figure on fire rating is if the fire department cant get my fire out in 30 mins there will be serious issues, since I'm four blocks from the department.

MrFord
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MrFord » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm

I have had a Winchester digital safe since the mid 90's. The digital key is a piece of shit, always has been, the speed that you key the numbers in is as important as the numbers, sometimes it just doesn't want to work at the moment, come back later. When it finally lays down and dies fortunately the safe unlocks but still $550 for repairs, for another $100 I had it changed to a dial.
All safes are NOT created equal. Fire ratings vary widely, a multitude of different locking mechanisms, best being bolts that lock independently of one another.
Bolt to floor and wall and keep it out of sight.
The prevention of loss of 1 firearm can cover the loss of a quality safe even with insurance. They aren't likely to pay its true value, check the value of your guns in a gun bluebook.
Youth and Enthusiasm Will Never Defeat Old Age And Treachery
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Orwell

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Not to hijack but I figured it would be better to ask here than to start a new thread. Anyway, I need a gun safe to hold maybe 10 guns, probably less. I would just get the biggest safe I could afford but I'm a renter so I need to be able to move it, and yes I'll weigh it down where ever I have it. I'd just like something to protect my collection in case of fire and something to deter smash and grab burglars. So does anybody have an suggestions? It seems like most safe manufacturers don't make anything smaller than a 16 or 20 gun safe.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am

I got a used Sentry RSC for $50 bucks...I think it holds 9 long guns. It is what it is.

Better than leaving them laying around, I suppose.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 am

ArmchairRacer wrote:Not to hijack but I figured it would be better to ask here than to start a new thread. Anyway, I need a gun safe to hold maybe 10 guns, probably less. I would just get the biggest safe I could afford but I'm a renter so I need to be able to move it, and yes I'll weigh it down where ever I have it. I'd just like something to protect my collection in case of fire and something to deter smash and grab burglars. So does anybody have an suggestions? It seems like most safe manufacturers don't make anything smaller than a 16 or 20 gun safe.
Stack-On again. Like I said before, if you can't bolt it down, put it in a closet and fill the bottom with lead and shit.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I need a new safe. Or smaller guns. Oh heck who am I kidding I need a new safe to put new smaller guns in.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Just throwing an idea out there, but have you considered a hidden area? Instead of spending 500-3000 bucks on a safe spend 200 on some wood and paint with some hidden hinges.
Image Image

Image Image

My personal favorite

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 pm

If you are set on buying a safe then instead of bolting it to a cement floor maybe ..........

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”