First Aid Kit Winfall

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

First Aid Kit Winfall

Post by mantis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 pm

As some of you may know, I was hospitalized for 10 days earlier this year with a severe cellulitis infection in my right leg. I had a splinter in my leg which I removed and applied polysporin to the wound and bandaged it. I didn't think about it until 5 days later when I developed a temp of 42C and my leg swelled to twice it's normal size. I could not walk or even bend my knee. By the time I decided I had better get to the hospital, the infection went from my foot to six inches above my knee and the doctor at the ER said I was on the verge of developing septicemia.

Anyway, I survived and after 10 days in the hospital, I was discharged and sent home with home care nursing arranged. The VON - Victrorian Order of Nurses sent a huge box of supplies to my house and sent a nurse every day to check my leg and change my dressings. After 10 days, I was able to get around again and they had me go to them....leaving this box of stuff at home. I asked them if they wanted it back and they did not - once it has been at a patent's house, it cannot be taken back into stock. I didn't pay a cent for it since it was covered by our universal healthcare system here is Canada so I now have the most kick-ass home first aid kit which includes:

12 bottles (200 ml) saline solution
2 bottles (1 litre) iodine.
15x abdominal pads
15 12x6 Mesorb pads
15 24x24 Mesorb pads
12 rolls or Kerlix
4 packages of 4x4 gauze pads with 200 pads each
4 packages of 4x6 gauze sponges with 50 individually warpped pads each
3 boxes of Bactigas wound/burn dressings with anti-bacterial coating
4 Suture removal kits (scissors and tweexers)
1 box extra large surgical gloves
1 box of individually wrapped q-tips
2 boxes of non-stick dressings
2 boxes of Inadine non-stick Iodine soaked dressings.
10 rolls of tape

I already had a pretty good first aid kit that had all the smaller dressings, medications, insect bite stuff, Quick-Clot Trauma kits, etc. Now I think I am ready for just about anything.

At last - a silver light at the end of what was a very dark tunnel for me!
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

taipan821

Re: First Aid Kit Winfall

Post by taipan821 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Congrats for the haul and federally funded healthcare system!
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:45 pm

I didn't pay a cent for it
Sure you did unless you don't pay any taxes.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sure you did unless you don't pay any taxes.
Fair enough...but then again its great to see returns on your taxes!
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 am

That is true. I pay quite a bit in taxes. Nice to actually get some tangible benefits for it for change. I didn't pay anything out of pocket for any of those Medical Treatments I received other than small deductibles from my employer drug plan to pay for prescriptions that I was given after I left the hospital. I will certainly put this haul of supplies to good use.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am

I am just glad you are healthy again. People have died from these infections, they can be quite serious.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am

A) I'm glad you're ok
B) That is quite a haul. I would come up with a list of wound care questions for your return visits, dressing changes, etc. I am sure they'd be happy to give some info.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”