The Restless Dead

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

All Is Lost; Part 56

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:55 am

Another fifteen minutes have rolled by and it's nearly dusk. I'm standing at the Jersey barriers in the dying light, gazing intently eastward. A cruel autumn chill snakes its way across this narrow river valley, rising up from the dark waters like a restless ghost, intent on exacting some terrible retribution.

Finally I see the ragged column of zombies crest that last hill, a half a mile back. The undulating mass of undead is just passing the spot where I was ambushed by that hunter zombie in the back of the pickup.

I regard the advancing horde, thrice magnified, through the M4's magical mystery techno sight. They're moving in this direction, but with no particular sense of alacrity.

I don't have all goddamned day to meet my maker, I think as I jack the muzzle of the carbine skyward and fire off several short bursts. The sharp reports echo up and down the river valley. I sight the zombies in again through the optical sight. Still no reaction. If they heard the gunfire, they haven't discerned its source and can't see me from this distance. They have nothing yet to fixate on.

Jesus Christ Almighty, I think in exasperation. What do I have to do to get their attention? Again I shoulder the weapon and regard the horde. 800 yards more or less. Ridiculous to even try at this distance, but what the hell, I've got plenty of ammunition to work with. I elevate the chevron reticle several clicks above the zombies' heads and fire off another burst.

I'm rewarded by several bright flashes of light as bullets ricochet off the cars around the advancing creatures almost a half a mile away. Some of them appear aroused, and begin picking up speed. Encouraged, I squeeze off several more bursts until the magazine runs dry. Flashes of light dance upon the derelict vehicles all around the leading elements of the zombie horde as the rounds strike home and carom off weathered steel. The creatures finally take the hint and begin sprinting en masse down the long gradual approach towards this bridge. I lower my weapon, smiling in satisfaction. In the distance I hear the gathering roar.

That's it, I mutter aloud, slowly backing up. Come to papa, you motherfuckers.

DTyra
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original, the latest, and almost anything in between.

Re: The Restless Dead

Post by DTyra » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Majorhavoc, I wish there was some way to truly express the pleasure I experience each time I see an addition to this wonderful story.
You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth; you were born with a shovel up your ass, so pull it out and start digging!
Short stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

All Is Lost; Part 57

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:50 pm

The horde rushes towards the teetering bridge must faster than I anticipated. I've just reached the inner cordon of the military vehicles when I bother to turn around. I'm startled to see they're closing the final hundred meters to the Jersey barriers. The individual creatures are more like particles in a vast flood, raging down the steeply inclined road and splashing into the base of the river valley.

I can see them clearly now without any assistance from the M4's magnified optical sight. They appear as a dark torrent, splashing and tumbling around and even over the tops of the derelict vehicles. Suddenly, a quarter mile back, the dark hulk of an automobile is launched skyward, hurdling in this direction in a foreshortened arc. The vehicle lands in the middle of the surging horde with a loud crash and a shower of sparks. A score of zombies are instantly flattened and then the tumbling vehicle is airborne again. It skips over the tops of more cars before striking the ground a second time. It rakes another dozen zombies from the roadway, caroms off the pavement and comes to a halt on the south shoulder. I know it's a tank zombie back there somewhere even before its booming roar assaults my ears. The tank's bellow is quickly joined by the high pitched shrieks of at least two hunters and the telltale rasping screech of a smoker out there in the gathering darkness.

So glad you can join the party.

I'm sighting in the first few rows of vehicles, ready to light them up when I hear the second horde approaching the bridge from behind me; the western side. This too has happened much quicker than I expected.

I quickly rake the roofs of the gasoline drenched vehicles with a volley of rifle rounds, confirm they have burst into flames and then quickly spin around. I sprint back across the bridge to the western side. I only get as far as the crashed delivery van at the bridge's center when I see a dark mass of creatures has already surged past the fuel transport. They're nearly at the sandbagged redoubt. I'm forced to fire on the first two jerry cans standing upright at the bridge's western edge. I was hoping to hold off doing that for a while yet.

Only when both of those jerry cans are alight do I train the M4 on the transport truck with the auxiliary fuel tank. It takes the rest of the ammunition in my magazine and half the rounds in its replacement before the back of the transport truck flares. With its gasoline drenched canopy roof and cargo bed, it's soon burning brightly.

I again reverse direction and run back east. I skid to a halt as I realize the horde on this side is already past the Jersey barriers and are approaching the inner cordon of parked military vehicles. Most of the creatures are ablaze, having run straight through those first ranks of burning automobiles. I pepper the military vehicles with my carbine. Those quickly light up as well, creating a secondary wall of fire on the eastern side of the bridge. With the inner cordon now burning, this means I'll never get the chance to light up those two gasoline cans I positioned right behind one of the Jersey barriers.

Looking beyond the blazing military vehicles, I see that the very first vehicle fires I started in the traffic jam are beginning to intensify. They're only now effectively killing off the infected creatures trying to push through. I realize I should have simply lit up those vehicles when I first saw the horde cresting the hill. That certainly would have gotten their attention and the cars would have been burning intensely by the time they got down here.

I'd say 'live and learn', but the 'live' part is about to become a moot point.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

All is Lost, Part 58

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:57 pm

New sounds coming from behind my back, to the west. The rasping screech of a smoker, punctuated with an amplified cough, as though spitting something vile and unwholesome out of a cancer pocked mouth. Spinning around yet again, I see a long serpentine shape coursing through the night air, lit from below by the raging fuel fires. The smoker's tongue snakes up into the bridge's superstructure, high above. I then witness a sight I have never beheld before. The tongue attaches itself to a steel cross member and then tightens along its entire length. Suddenly I see the smoker zombie itself rise into view from beyond the delivery van. It draws itself upwards as it rapidly retracts its tongue. The creature hooks its arms around the steel girder as the last of the tongue is reeled in and then deftly swings itself up and around, landing on its haunches on top of the bridge.

The smoker has been on fire the entire time however. Just as I'm lifting my carbine to fire on it, it coughs a final time and then literally explodes in a cloud of greenish smoke. Two cartwheeling arms and the creature's legs and pelvic girdle rain down on the bridge decking, still burning brightly.

More zombies charge onto the western side of the bridge, some burning, some not. I cut them down with bursts from the carbine, the optical sight making it an easy matter to sight them in quick succession. More are fast approaching behind them and I'm just about to commit to the cause two more of the jerry cans when the auxiliary fuel tank on the transport explodes. The billowing cloud of flame lights up a vast wall of zombies advancing out of the woods from the west, several ranks deep. I had been expecting at least a few infected to trouble me from this direction. But I wasn't prepared for anything like this. This second horde appears to be just as large, if not larger, as the one attacking from the east.

The fuel truck's explosion has come none too soon. Vast sheets of flaming gasoline expand from the blazing vehicle in all directions, including directly into the faces of those zombies emerging from the woods. It also sets ablaze some of the infected creatures that had already made it past the fuel truck. I decide my carbine can deal with the half dozen zombies that did get past the explosion. I don't yet have to commit any more of the jerry cans on this side of the bridge.

More commotion coming from the east. A crash of concrete, a screech of tortured metal and then a booming roar, literally rattling the damaged truss work of this bridge. It seems that the tank zombie has arrived on the scene. I move towards the eastern end of the bridge more cautiously this time, advancing with the carbine shouldered, one eye sighting through the optical sight, the other keeping careful watch on the periphery of my visual field.

I spot the gargantuan creature through the flames rising from the military vehicles. I sidestep to my left to get a clearer view. The tank zombie is struggling to get past the tracked combat engineering vehicle. It and the engineering vehicle are on fire. The creature, roaring in frustration, is straining to lift the front of the massive vehicle off the ground when one of its M259 grenade launchers cooks off in the intense heat. The tank zombie gets a volley of rocket propelled smoke grenades directly into its face. One of the grenades caroms off its bony plated skull, but another is driven deep into its right eye socket.

The creature drops the massive tracked vehicle with a crash and begins frantically pawing at its face. Dense smoke is billowing out of its pierced eye socket. Still on fire and roaring thunderously into the night, the massive creature staggers backwards and trips over one of the concrete Jersey barriers. It happens to be the barrier where I placed those two jerry cans full of gasoline. The metal cans rupture under the falling tank's weight. The flammable liquid instantly ignites and suddenly the creature is lying in the middle of an inferno.

It staggers back to its knees, but at this point I've found a good angle on the creature with a clear line of fire between a flaming humvee and a burning troop transport. I unleash a trio of bursts directly into the writhing creature's face. Enraged, it's about to let loose another roar. But I decide that open maw makes a swell target with this fancy-shmancy optical sight. A torrent of rifle fire flies directly into its throat. The tank zombie's thick arms suddenly drop to its sides as it spasms, appears for all the world to be stifling a belch, and then simply keels over backwards. There it settles back into its bed of searing flames.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

All is Lost, Part 59

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm

More ordinance inside the military vehicles is cooking off in the spreading conflagration, so I'm forced to back away, retreating to the crashed delivery van in the middle of the bridge. I camp out at its rear bumper, shifting my attention rapidly east and west. Monitoring my carefully orchestrated symphony of destruction. Francis would be so proud.

A pair of hunter zombies harry me from above. I fell one with a volley of rifle fire, the creature tumbling out of the truss work and crashing onto the bridge decking. The other hunter is fully alight as it leaps onto the steel girders high over head. It succumbs to the flames before I even have a chance to get a clear shot at it.

Over the next half an hour, the night deepens and I witness wave upon wave of undead throw themselves against the flaming barriers. They perish in droves. And yet they continue coming from both east and west, the light and commotion drawing the infected from miles around. It's an impressive and satisfying slaughter. My defensive preparations on the eastern side of the bridge are more robust however, the cordon of military vehicles continuing to fuel the fires long after the gasoline burns off.

The western approach of the bridge proves to be more vulnerable. I just never expected to deal with so many zombies coming from that direction. The fuel transport continues to burn merrily, but it's not parked particularly close to the bridge's western abutment. An impressive number of infected creatures still manage to blunder into its consuming flames, but many more simply skirt around it and make straight for the bridge's western approach. I'm forced to light up one pre-positioned jerry can after another as more and more of my rifle ammunition is expended fending off the charging creatures.

I'm able to retrieve two of the gasoline cans I had placed on the bridge decking east of the delivery truck, but the heat from the burning military vehicles has become too intense to collect the other three that haven't flared off yet. Those two cans I do manage to reach are heaved onto the decking west of the delivery van. In short order I'm forced to shoot those out as well, setting up a one last wall of flames. My final defense against the surging horde. The zombies charging from that side show no signs of abating. With my carbine running low on ammunition, I realize the time has come to retreat into the delivery van and attend to one final task.

I close the van's rear doors behind me and settle onto the passenger seat up front, across from the detonator control unit perched on the driver's seat. The det cords slant up and away from it, disappearing from view through the tops of the driver's and passenger's windows, each cracked open a scant quarter of an inch. High above me on each end of the bridge, the cords snake their way to the two armed explosive charges. The time has nearly come to set them off and send this godforsaken structure crashing into the dark current a hundred feet below.

The van is an older model and its crude entertainment system features a tape deck. There's a shoe box full of old music cassettes on the cab floor. And the key is still in the ignition. Emboldened, I twist the key to the accessory position. The panel lights up and the speakers begin pumping out radio static. Glancing out the windows at the flaming barriers, I confirm that I still have another minute or two. Pawing through the box, I chance upon a real classic from my youth: Iggy Pop and The Stooges. Raw Power, circa 1973.

Whoever this van driver was, he had a helluva fine taste for music.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

All is Lost, Part 60

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I pop the tape into the slot and lean back. The first driving guitar riff fills the darkened cab.

I'm a streetwalking cheetah with a heart full of napalm
I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb
I am the world's forgotten boy
The one who searches and destroys

The world contracts around me and I reflect on the long, tortured path that has brought me to this moment. My family of origin. The epic and ultimately pointless struggle with my parents as I railed against their simplistic, naive view of the world. A view that I came to understand was anything but simplistic or naive. But of course that came far too late to save me. Or my older brother. Tommy, the better son by a country mile. In a very real sense his death was my doing. Collateral damage to my own teenage hubris, all those years ago.

And then the boys of my special forces unit. The Night Reapers, we called ourselves. Oh, the travesties we committed in the name of god and country. An eternity of sin for which there can be no atonement. And to what end? The seeds of this infection, man's own dark nature, were being planted even back then. We just never saw it coming.

And yet in the company of those young men, I found a kind of fierce love and devotion that I thought I would never see again. My brothers in arms, even as they died off one by one. Ah boys, none of us ever should have come home, least of all me. We left the very best part of ourselves in those jungles, didn't we?

Love in the middle of a fire fight
Honey, gotta strike me blind
Somebody gotta save my soul

For the next forty odd years all I wanted was for the world to leave me the hell alone. Just let me die quietly. And just when the doctors tell me my end was finally near, all this happens. This zombie horseshit. So I didn't get to do even that. All I asked was to quietly check out of this world. I never wanted the whole damn world to come along with me.

And yet it took exactly that to yank me back into the world of the living. To start giving a damn again after all these years. A sweet young girl who doesn't realize she's not going to be able to outrun these zombies forever. A bullheaded biker who can't see that he's already risen above his sordid past. An infuriatingly righteous preacher, an unflaggingly optimistic yet resourceful young man. And finally: a beautiful, quietly powerful woman who could have changed the trajectory of my life had our paths crossed twenty years earlier.

And yet with all that to work with, turns out I'm still only good for one thing. Killing. Lord, I surely know how to kill. Kill and kill and then kill some more. Without thinking, without feeling. Because if there ever was a part of me that was capable of feeling anything, it died a long, long time ago.

And I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy
And honey I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', only to destroy

I glance out the passenger window. To the west. Those last jerry cans have about burned themselves out, haven't they? Pity, I would have enjoyed watching a couple of hundred more of you undead motherfuckers roast in your own fiery hell. They're starting to get through now. They don't know I'm in this van yet, but it won't take them long. They'll sense me. See, we have what you'd call a special bond, those zombies and me. The bond between all true dealers of death.

I lean over and punch the detonator control unit's power button and the panel lamp glows a fiery orange. Next comes the arming switch and lamp changes color to green. I flip up the safety cover, exposing a large rocker switch, glowing red. An angry, fuck-the-world red. Aching for release. I lay my finger lightly upon it.

Forgotten boy, forgotten boy
Forgotten boy said, hey, I'm the one
The one who's searchin' to destroy

I turn to my right just as a zombie smears itself against the passenger window, inches from my face. This startles me not in the least. The creature's own face has been seared off, as have all its clothes. What's left of its lips are shriveled and drawn tight; a macabre grimace. The infected hisses, begging to join me. Blackened teeth clack and clatter upon the glass.

“Can't you see I'm busy?” I admonish my new companion. With my left index finger perched on the master switch I lean forward and crank the volume. Then I settle back into my seat. It's actually quite comfortable.

The zombie is clawing at the glass now, its hisses scarcely audible as the Iggy Pop's voice rises to its defiant, nihilistic climax. I raise my right middle finger and salute my inconsiderate visitor.

“To hell with all this horseshit anyway,” I mutter as I press the master switch. And then the world all around me erupts in a beautiful, glorious vision of Hell.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:15 am, edited 9 times in total.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:36 pm

"moar?" says I in a tiny but hopeful voice..... :ohdear:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Nature_Lover

Post by Nature_Lover » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you major, I've missed your writing.
This is fantastic! :)

harleyvato

Post by harleyvato » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Was this the end for William "Bill" Overbeck?? I'm hoping not, but not sure.

Either way,thanks for a great story!

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:31 am

WOW! That was awesome!
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

D_Man

Post by D_Man » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49 am

WOW> Thank you for a great series of installments. Really keeping this story interesting. So appreciated.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
To strive,
To seek,
To find, But not to yield.
~Tennyson

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 pm

MOAR?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

D_Man

Post by D_Man » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:01 am

Monthly check-in. Moar please...
To strive,
To seek,
To find, But not to yield.
~Tennyson

FrostSolhef

The Restless Dead

Post by FrostSolhef » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Cycle 13

I can feel their minds, the song of their lives, encased in ice, mired in mud, obscured by the unthinking death that they have entered. But they shall live again.
The Black has sent me into the void to oversee the establishment of a new colony. In the pods attached to this vessel a number of the living float dead, but not dead. They rest like the creatures of the land rest, their minds quieted, while I, dead, swim and think and feel their muffled thoughts.
Blue the seas of the homeworld seen from the stars and Pain the memory of the Suulka swim by me, and I can barely tell my thoughts from theirs. The loneliness of the Black Sea drives us to each other until we cannot tell one from another.
How I wish I could die like these living, to be born anew in a new, warm sea. To reshape the mires of this new world into a paradise the likes of Muur. Was that my thought? Or Blue or Pain? In six cycles, when we arrive, will there be a difference?

dogmanan

Post by dogmanan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Very good read, is more coming soon I hope.

Return to “Fiction”