It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cache Gun Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 pm 

I'm making a couple cashes to go on family property. One question I'm debating is putting a firearm in one or both. I have a throwaway gun, it shoots nearly everything you feed it. The problem is it's a Jennings9, it's ugly, heavy, and could castistophiclly fail. I've shot P+ Out of it and inspected it, its fine. Would that be worth sealing (vacuum packed with 200rd and 2 mags) and throwing in one of the stashes?

I'm not putting any of my good guns in them. I want something cheap that I don't care about. But could that backfire and be a bigger issue down the road if needed.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Last edited by Halfapint on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cashe Gun Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
I'm making a couple cashes to go on family property. One question I'm debating is putting a firearm in one or both. I have a throwaway gun, it shoots nearly everything you feed it. The problem is it's a Jennings9, it's ugly, heavy, and could castistophiclly fail. I've shot P+ Out of it and inspected it, its fine. Would that be worth sealing (vacuum packed with 200rd and 2 mags) and throwing in one of the stashes?

I'm not putting any of my good guns in them. I want something cheap that I don't care about. But could that backfire and be a bigger issue down the road if needed.

Put the gun in there that you'll most want to be in there if/when you ever have real serious need for what's in your cache. If you really, really need to use your cache is that going to be good enough for you? I think not. No one is saying put a brand new, first line firearm in there, but a good quality used one would fit the bill.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm 

Hide it in a place where you know it will be found. Put your real guns somewhere more secure. The highest and best use of a Jennings is as an anchor or a drop piece.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I mentioned a cache I just added a 10/22 rifle to. The thing that scared me the most was someone irresponsible finding it. I spent a lot of time figuring where to put it before satisfied.

The only good thing about the Jennings if you cache it somewhere is you will, God forbid, have a blaster should fire or tornadoes erase your assets at home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:51 am 

These cashes are las resort. I know Jennings are shit, don't get me wrong I'm not expecting to use it. I will say it's been a relatively good gun. I've never had issues with it other than the magazine I dropped then fixed with a rock.

I suppose I could always wait and put in some LC9 or something cheap that's more relibable.

Zimmy wrote:
I mentioned a cache I just added a 10/22 rifle to. The thing that scared me the most was someone irresponsible finding it. I spent a lot of time figuring where to put it before satisfied.

The only good thing about the Jennings if you cache it somewhere is you will, God forbid, have a blaster should fire or tornadoes erase your assets at home.

That was the post that got me thinking about it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:32 am 

Trustworthy friends and neighbors make more sense to me than burying shit in some random location on the property you are living on.

I imagine in 50 years someone is going to post on line about all this weird stuff they found in their backyard when they were planting a tree.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Trustworthy friends and neighbors make more sense to me than burying shit in some random location on the property you are living on.

I imagine in 50 years someone is going to post on line about all this weird stuff they found in their backyard when they were planting a tree.

You sometimes can't choose your neighbors. What happens when kindly old man Smithers , your next door neighbor has a fatal heart attack and Silly Sam and his wife skanky shelly move in?
If you uncovered a buried cache of weapons and gear on your property and then posted about it online . Your name might be Sam or Shelly. :clownshoes:

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 am 

I would advise storing it in a ZCORR bag: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Corr-Products- ... orage+bags

Personally, I would put a cheap,reliable classic, such as a Heritage Rough Rider.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

NamelessStain wrote:
I would advise storing it in a ZCORR bag: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Corr-Products- ... orage+bags

Personally, I would put a cheap,reliable classic, such as a Heritage Rough Rider.

Thanks for the info on the ZCORR bags. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm 

I actually have two cached guns. I got a old crusty but working H&R shotty and a grungy Rossi single in 308. I tested for function, then covered in synthetic wheel bearing grease, wrapped in aluminum foil, the saran warp, then vacuum packed with an industrial food saver. Stuffed each one in a 6 inch PVC pipe with sealed up ammo, a crushable backpack and socks and underwear.

I don't expect it to work out. I really just wanted to see what it would look like in 10 years time. I have a web calendar meeting set for 2023 to check on one of them.

Now that i'm describing it,.. it feels really stupid. The grease was likely a bad idea with some of the plastic parts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:31 pm 

brothaman wrote:
Now that i'm describing it,.. it feels really stupid. The grease was likely a bad idea with some of the plastic parts.

I'm thinking the aluminum foil was probably the worst part. You may have created a nice capacitor or battery with it. I think if I were going to do this I'd probably just spray it down liberally with silicone, wrap it in a silicone treated cloth, vacuum seal, put in a container and be done with it. Ammo would simply be vac sealed on its own in original packaging.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:38 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
brothaman wrote:

I'm thinking the aluminum foil was probably the worst part. You may have created a nice capacitor or battery with it. I think if I were going to do this I'd probably just spray it down liberally with silicone, wrap it in a silicone treated cloth, vacuum seal, put in a container and be done with it. Ammo would simply be vac sealed on its own in original packaging.

They'll likely be OK. I was worried about the plastic wrap corroding on the grease. I painted the grease on with a brush. I really didn't think it though much. The wife was out of town and I was bored. That was the tail end of my drinking days,.. so there might have been some alcohol involved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm 

I'm creating the cashes not because I expect the houses to get looted. I'm mostly making them so that when the big earthquake comes we have some tools, food, water to help clear a path to the real preps and tools to start rebuilding.

The gun was an after thought, however when I think about "the big one" I imagine if my family (all live on rocky hills) get hit hard and the houses collapse. Most everyone else in the region will have a collapsed house as well. Seeing as how a majority of people probably don't prep, we might be targeted if we are able to clear our house.

That and Zimmy Posting about the 10/22 in a cashe got me thinking. I think I'll do it for now. And later when I have more expendible income..... upgrade to better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
I'm creating the cashes not because I expect the houses to get looted. I'm mostly making them so that when the big earthquake comes we have some tools, food, water to help clear a path to the real preps and tools to start rebuilding.

The gun was an after thought, however when I think about "the big one" I imagine if my family (all live on rocky hills) get hit hard and the houses collapse. Most everyone else in the region will have a collapsed house as well. Seeing as how a majority of people probably don't prep, we might be targeted if we are able to clear our house.

That and Zimmy Posting about the 10/22 in a cashe got me thinking. I think I'll do it for now. And later when I have more expendible income..... upgrade to better.

All of my weapons caches are in other people's houses. People I will go to if it all goes up. I do like the idea of having a buried supply some place. I plan on doing that some day when I can make it secure.

Another thought: You car is a cache, and might be more likely to survive the earth quake than the house? Maybe? Probably not if it is in a parking garage.

Just some thoughts.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 pm 

Halfapint wrote:

This may be nothing, but it suddenly occurred to me about survivability of things buried underground when that ground is moving and shaking violently. I've had caches that were unaffected by earthquakes but then again I've not had a cache located at or near the epicenter of a great quake. Given that even strong ( as opposed to great quakes) have the ability to crumble concrete, break mains and twist railroad rails like wet spaghetti.

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

This may be nothing, but it suddenly occurred to me about survivability of things buried underground when that ground is moving and shaking violently. I've had caches that were unaffected by earthquakes but then again I've not had a cache located at or near the epicenter of a great quake. Given that even strong ( as opposed to great quakes) have the ability to crumble concrete, break mains and twist railroad rails like wet spaghetti.

True. Given a major earthquake, I want wine supplies outside the house and the garages. Both the cashes will be in family property. I grew up in the house my mom lives in, and know all the neighbors, and all but one have a fantastic relationship with. The one is a douche and doesn't like my honey bees. My grandparents live in 5 acres, the neighbor to the south is a widower who plans to have hiss estate willed to my family as long as we still own the property. And we know and are on good terms with the other neighbors.

So I'm not worried about the cashes.

I do carry tools in my car usually I've at lease one hatchet/tomahawk, crowbar, and tool box. But given that they expect our roads to be nearly impassable. So a car I'm not going to count on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm 

Halfapint wrote:

I do carry tools in my car usually I've at lease one hatchet/tomahawk, crowbar, and tool box. But given that they expect our roads to be nearly impassable. So a car I'm not going to count on.

I meant it is a good place to have a gun where you can maintain control of it and it probably will not be crushed by the house. That solves the concern that someone may ninja your loot and the issue with a house collapsing on your gear.

Might throw some food and blankets in there along with a gun so if you happen to be visiting a friend when all goes south you can have a basic stash nearby.

When talking about folks coming looking to your place because you have resources, that strikes a chord. It makes sense to have an extra stash away from the house. To me, anyway.

Do you have a plan of action with your neighbors? Do you have enough food for them? I'd have a tough time turning away people I had known that long. Really, I'd have a hard time turning away anyone who was not a douche.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 am 

Some random thoughts on caching guns.
Gun parts are harder to misuse than a gun. There are 100 times more people who know how to shoot a gun than know how to put a gun back together. If you are really extra paranoid paint the small parts different color and mix them with other painted small hardware. Only you know which color are gun parts and which are from an old carburetor.

Some guns take abuse better. I had a friend who while hunting lost his rifle, and found it the next year while hunting the same area. It was a SMLE .303. It was dirty but functioned fine after a year outside leaning against a fence post. Some guns have a reputation for standing up to abuse.

A primitive gun is better than no gun at all. Cap and ball, flintlock or even match lock have historical data to suggest they will beat a sharp stick.

It is far easier to build a gun in a pinch than it is to build fixed ammunition. Store ammo that you can easily build a gun for if you had to and do not want to store a gun.

An easy way to cache on property you own is a junk car. It typically locks, is of little interest to thieves, usually earthquake proof, it's cheap...but ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 am 

2now wrote:
An easy way to cache on property you own is a junk car. It typically locks, is of little interest to thieves, usually earthquake proof, it's cheap...but ugly.

Not sure about your area, but around here there is a substance in the air that the locals call "meth". I'm not sure of the chemistry behind it, but apparently it makes all manner of scrap metal, including junk cars, simply disappear. Often in broad daylight when most honest folks are at work. I've heard some people say that it's the work of skinny gnomes with bad teeth and neck tattoos, but I don't buy into such superstitions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:43 am 

yossarian wrote:
2now wrote:

Not sure about your area, but around here there is a substance in the air that the locals call "meth". I'm not sure of the chemistry behind it, but apparently it makes all manner of scrap metal, including junk cars, simply disappear. Often in broad daylight when most honest folks are at work. I've heard some people say that it's the work of skinny gnomes with bad teeth and neck tattoos, but I don't buy into such superstitions.

Not just scrap metal but metal that is in use like sewer covers, car wash grates, plumbing, down spouts and gutters and anything that is not under direct observation at the time. Forget nailing it down, the nails will be stolen too.

Conversely though if you want scrap metal GONE from your land, just run an ad in Craig's list. They will haul it off like it was never even there.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 am 

2now wrote:
I had a friend who while hunting lost his rifle, and found it the next year while hunting the same area. It was a SMLE .303. It was dirty but functioned fine after a year outside leaning against a fence post. Some guns have a reputation for standing up to abuse.

How the hell do you lose a gun while hunting? He just left it leaning against a fence post? This does not sound like a very responsible individual.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My caches are hidden in old structures for weather safety and easier access.

Trying to find and dig up something in the hard-assed Texas dirt, possibly in a panic and maybe at night sounds too difficult for a (possibly delegated) task.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:13 pm 

I have one buried in a sheep stall in a barn. Just threw some straw over it and let the sheep pack it back down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:31 pm 

Yea you know, just talking about where you hid your stuff don't count. Detailed maps of where you hid it and list of whats in it or it didn't happen . :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Titor was right