It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 pm 

Pillowcases. Now good for more then Halloween candies and hitting siblings with.

Given the small size of my kids' backpacks, a couple of sacrificial pillowcases may not be a bad idea in case we have to evac. The king size ones are 20x40, maybe 4000-5000 ci.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/new ... -bags.html
Quote:
A fresh pillowcase is great for sleeping, and now can help you rest easy in the event of a disaster.

The Pillowcase Project encourages students to decorate the covers as part of its emergency preparedness program.

The American Red Cross says a pillowcase can serve as a "go-bag" to grab in a hurry filled with essential survival supplies, as well as more personal items.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:22 pm 

Wow. That was pretty cool! Thank you for sharing.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 pm 

My wife was gifted one of the ARC bags - the draw strings are used as shoulder straps.

The bag itself is heavy-duty, but the 'straps' are not. Does make a nice, if small, ditty bag.

I'm not a fan of the RC for many (to me) good reasons - but they do try....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

HAHA when I moved out of my apartment, I put a lot of my random gun accessories (mags, boxes of parts, etc.) in my spare pillow cases because I didn't have any "free" options laying around.

Also, considering fancy canvas laundry bags can be over $12, a cheapo big pillow case is like 1/4 the price and does the same thing. You can even cut holes in the hem on the opening and lace paracord to make a draw string.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
HAHA when I moved out of my apartment, I put a lot of my random gun accessories (mags, boxes of parts, etc.) in my spare pillow cases because I didn't have any "free" options laying around.

Also, considering fancy canvas laundry bags can be over $12, a cheapo big pillow case is like 1/4 the price and does the same thing. You can even cut holes in the hem on the opening and lace paracord to make a draw string.

Canvas laundry bags are a bit cheaper than pillowcases, and pretty close in size. As long as the kids can color on it with markers and crayons, it'll work.

EDIT: I found the formula for pillow case volume. It's called the "paper bag problem", and shows that a king size pillow case will hold about 4000 c.i..

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Close_enough wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Canvas laundry bags are a bit cheaper than pillowcases, and pretty close in size. As long as the kids can color on it with markers and crayons, it'll work.

EDIT: I found the formula for pillow case volume. It's called the "paper bag problem", and shows that a king size pillow case will hold about 4000 c.i..

When I was taking a trip into the desert, I was looking for a laundry bag that wasn't mesh. At the two big box stores I looked into, the canvas bags were from $12 to $20. Now, these may have been "el premium" stuff but I could only find the crappy white mesh ones for cheap.

However, a pack of 2 king sized pillow cases was like under $5.

But I agree, the issue with pillow case volume is that they are two dimensional, meaning they are two sown together rectangles as opposed to a tube shape with a round bottom meaning that overall volume suffers.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:11 pm 

Not a bad idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 am 

I've moved too much and one great “bag” I have found especially for guns or other loing devices is ½ of a pair of jeans or bdu pants.
1. Cut them into 2 equal halves right through the fly.
2. This should give you 2 pieces each with a cut that would run from navel, down the fly up the but crack to the belt, if it had been cut when you were wearing the pants. [ow!]
3. sew the cut edged together on each leg. That is belt to navel, butt crack to fly on the left pant leg and then again on the right leg.
4. Sew the leg shut at the foot end.
5. To close run a piece of rope through the belt loops. If you are carrying a gun or other really long object, fold it over and tie the rope 'belt' around the bag.
It can all be done with hand sewing or a handi-stich. If you use pants with a broken zipper or other damage the cost is you time and 2 feet of rope. If you do not fold it over like you might with a gun, you can still use the pocket for small items.

Anyone else ever done this?