My first AR

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

My first AR

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:41 pm

I have been trying to justify buying an AR. I was window shopping and found a a Del-Ton DT sport for $399. It was brand new and had no rear sight and shipped with 2 mags. I added a $20 sight to the order. I stripped it down and lubed it today. I'm not overly familiar with the platform but this one seems solid. Hopefully I'll take it to the range soon and have a patrol rifle course coming up so I'll report how it does.

woodsghost

Re: My first AR

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Cool! I am not an AR guy, but I've heard there are some screws and nuts which need to be inspected and if they have not been staked, go ahead and do that.

Looked over this thread, and it lines up with what I have heard from AR owners and gurus.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/1 ... n_an_ar15/
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Ran it through patrol rifle yesterday. Other than needing 18 clicks on the front site and 22 on the rear to get zero it was great. No issues with cheap ammo, no surprises other than I actually shot well with it. I'm 6'8 and I have a hard time getting in tight on stocks but the 6 position it came with worked well.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Sounds good! I'll advise you to take it to a winter class. In my experience the AR handles differently in sub-20*F weather. So do humans and the human/tactical interface. :) Proper lube helps with the gun. Good gear and mental attitude helps with the human.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

VTPATRIOT

Post by VTPATRIOT » Sat May 13, 2017 3:34 am

good to her on all accounts

I dont know that brand but have seen some with nylon poly,er frames that made me leery
“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
― Edward Abbey

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 13, 2017 7:39 am

Never shot a Delton before. Prevailing opinions are it is crap.

Of course I have shot a lot of guns where the opinion was the same and they shot just fine.

Did you run an optic or an iron and what kind of accuracy did you get?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:23 am

For the class I ran irons. I'm not overly experienced with rifles but it did well. To pass, everything had to be in the 8 ring or better and that wasn't a problem. My instructor is a retired Marine and he also tore it down and shot it. He liked it and said it was good. I did add a cheap red dot after I passed and sighted it in for 50 yards. It has a flip up rear sight, the red dot, and I added a surefire. That's it for accessories. I've shot it since with cheap ammo and managed decent groupings from about 75 yards in. At 75 my grouping with three rounds (iron sights) can be covered with a softball. 50 in with the red dot it is much better. I'm practicing more with the irons though.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”