The Poor Man’s Prepping

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3511
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Halfapint wrote:It may sound weird but airlines often give passangers new bags for lightly damaged ones. They cant do anything about them but throw them away a lot of the time. If you go into an airport and ask one of the major airlines if they have any damaged bags, they will often just GIVE them to you. I've found this to be true in a lot of different situations and places. So don't be afraid of asking. I once got a 20lb chunk of chocolate because it didn't temper well, for free. I YEARS ago we'd go to a local organic juice factory and ask them if they had any rejects, misfills, or ones nearing the "use by date" and would drive away with 40 bottles of varying sizes for free.

I know stuff like the juice is not long term preps, but we used to mix them with other fruits and make it thicker and make fruit leather, which lasted a lot longer. So don't be afraid to ask for free stuff from places.
Wez needz a Sticky! I live for such info! :mrgreen:

User avatar
goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by goofygurl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Halfapint wrote:It may sound weird but airlines often give passangers new bags for lightly damaged ones. They cant do anything about them but throw them away a lot of the time. If you go into an airport and ask one of the major airlines if they have any damaged bags, they will often just GIVE them to you. I've found this to be true in a lot of different situations and places. So don't be afraid of asking. I once got a 20lb chunk of chocolate because it didn't temper well, for free. I YEARS ago we'd go to a local organic juice factory and ask them if they had any rejects, misfills, or ones nearing the "use by date" and would drive away with 40 bottles of varying sizes for free.

I know stuff like the juice is not long term preps, but we used to mix them with other fruits and make it thicker and make fruit leather, which lasted a lot longer. So don't be afraid to ask for free stuff from places.

Juice can be canned to make it long term from what I understand. I don't personally can juice but might be worth the trouble to research it.

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.
golf balls?

I must see this ... and YouTube is bound to have videos!!
Okay, you're gonna have to explain the golf ball thing. :lol: I can't find anything about it on Google 'or' YouTube.

User avatar
goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by goofygurl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:19 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.
golf balls?

I must see this ... and YouTube is bound to have videos!!
Okay, you're gonna have to explain the golf ball thing. :lol: I can't find anything about it on Google 'or' YouTube.

WonderWash has no tumbler thingy in the middle. It serves 2 purposes I'm guessing. To actually beat the clothing clean and to avoid any static cling. I know a lot of people use them (or wool dryer balls) in the dryer to beat back static cling.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by Halfapint » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Wez needz a Sticky! I live for such info! :mrgreen:
LOL, yeah I took a couple bags home after talking to my sup that were so lightly damaged it was stupid. I now have a hard case top opening, with a slide out shelf in the middle bag for my 300bo, and mags in the slide out. What is "wrong" with the bag? the plastic door that folds down so the shelf can slid out was ever so slight bent so it sat up at about a 5 degrees. It doesn't affect anything about the bag.
goofygurl wrote:Juice can be canned to make it long term from what I understand. I don't personally can juice but might be worth the trouble to research it.
True it can, however I dunno I don't want to can anything I didn't make myself, to many variables.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
The Twizzler
* * * *
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 pm

I saw someone mentioned buying Hydrogen Peroxide bottles which I do as well, but once opened it dissipates over time. Buy the smaller bottles not the jug.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

User avatar
goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by goofygurl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Halfapint wrote:
True it can, however I dunno I don't want to can anything I didn't make myself, to many variables.
"Very true" she says as she has strawberry jam and syrup in the canner and pineapple chunks about to go in. :lol:

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm

goofygurl wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.
golf balls?

I must see this ... and YouTube is bound to have videos!!
Okay, you're gonna have to explain the golf ball thing. :lol: I can't find anything about it on Google 'or' YouTube.

WonderWash has no tumbler thingy in the middle. It serves 2 purposes I'm guessing. To actually beat the clothing clean and to avoid any static cling. I know a lot of people use them (or wool dryer balls) in the dryer to beat back static cling.
Huh. Okay.

Looking for the golf ball thing I saw (and bookmarked) an article about using aluminum foil (heavy duty) balls in dryer for static cling.


And while I have you on the line (so to speak) let's talk a minute about washing bed sheets.

I can not get myself to think I could EVer get a bed sheet clean in a Wonder Wash. Any experience with this???

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Fitting or physically clean? Both should be possible with little trouble.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Halfapint wrote:It may sound weird but airlines often give passangers new bags for lightly damaged ones. They cant do anything about them but throw them away a lot of the time. If you go into an airport and ask one of the major airlines if they have any damaged bags, they will often just GIVE them to you. I've found this to be true in a lot of different situations and places. So don't be afraid of asking. I once got a 20lb chunk of chocolate because it didn't temper well, for free. I YEARS ago we'd go to a local organic juice factory and ask them if they had any rejects, misfills, or ones nearing the "use by date" and would drive away with 40 bottles of varying sizes for free.

I know stuff like the juice is not long term preps, but we used to mix them with other fruits and make it thicker and make fruit leather, which lasted a lot longer. So don't be afraid to ask for free stuff from places.
Bags? What kind of bag? I luvvvvv bags of all shapes and sizes. Whaddawetalkin about here?

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by Halfapint » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:Bags? What kind of bag? I luvvvvv bags of all shapes and sizes. Whaddawetalkin about here?


I can only speak from my experience, but ALL shapes and sizes. From tiny carry on, to larger "are you checking a F*UCKING BODY?!?!?!" type bags..... However every city, every airline, and every person is different. So yeah. However like I said ask.....
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Halfapint wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:Bags? What kind of bag? I luvvvvv bags of all shapes and sizes. Whaddawetalkin about here?


From tiny carry on, to larger "are you checking a F*UCKING BODY?!?!?!" type bags.....
That was so funny I'm STILL laughing out loud

are you checking a F*CKING BODY?!?!?! types

I'm still laughing

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:03 pm

STILL laughing

User avatar
goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by goofygurl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm

zombiepreparation wrote: Looking for the golf ball thing I saw (and bookmarked) an article about using aluminum foil (heavy duty) balls in dryer for static cling.

And while I have you on the line (so to speak) let's talk a minute about washing bed sheets.

I can not get myself to think I could EVer get a bed sheet clean in a Wonder Wash. Any experience with this???
Unfortunately no. I use the Wonder Wash for cloth diapers (great cheesecloth/flour sack towel substitute for much cheaper), cloth pads, and other delicate clothing. I can get quite a bit in the Wonder Wash though so I'm wondering if you did 1 at a time with a couple of golf of tennis balls to really agitate it (THAT Is what that tumbler thingy is called!) that it should get it clean. You may have to do 2 washes/rinses though to really get it, but I find I have to do that anyhow with any clothing that has ever been worn ever even if it was only for 1 second clothing gets really disgusting lol. (Yes, I meant for that rant to go on like that lol).

Otherwise, it may just be more worth the time/money to go to the laundry mat for bedding a couple of times a month.

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Ah. Okay.

The way I wash my sheets is in a 3' diameter plastic tub. And use my:

Image

Image

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Right. Okay. Do we have a thread for Wonder Washers and counter-top spin dryers??? (or any variation there-of?) I can't find one.

If we don't we need one (well, at least 'I' need one) and I'll set it up as long as I'm sure another one isn't already in existence.

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:Ah. Okay.

The way I wash my sheets is in a 3' diameter plastic tub. And use my:

Image

Image
Does that actually work good?
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Halfapint wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:Bags? What kind of bag? I luvvvvv bags of all shapes and sizes. Whaddawetalkin about here?


I can only speak from my experience, but ALL shapes and sizes. From tiny carry on, to larger "are you checking a F*UCKING BODY?!?!?!" type bags..... However every city, every airline, and every person is different. So yeah. However like I said ask.....
zombiepreparation wrote:STILL laughing
Glad I could make you laugh! haha
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:Ah. Okay.
The way I wash my sheets is in a 3' diameter plastic tub. And use my:
Image
Image
Does that actually work good?
In my own experience it does.

I don't remember that I have washed items with actual dirt. I remember I did purchase it while I was still hard at work on a permaculture garden. But I don't 'remember' how I was laundering my really get down mud and dirt gardening clothes. Come to think of it, I 'must' have been. No memory of the results though.

I have never laundered grass stained items, or for that matter any stained items.

But I can tell you I consider it easy to launder with it. I have been completely satisfied with the cleanliness of my laundry; jeans, and all other manner of clothing, bed sheets, towels, etc. (I also use multiple rinse washings until I get no soap bubbles at all. So I don't know how that plays into the cleanliness I experience)

I recommend it with enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure I paid $15 or so dollars for it years back when purchasing it. I consider it, in my own use of it I mean, worth at least three times the amount in its ease of use, results in cleaning, and break down for between laundering use storing.

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 am

Couldn't find a thread for WonderWash counter top washers after all.

So I started one:
Survival Discussions > Self Sufficient Living > WonderWash non-electric counter top washer (+ spin dryers)

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:45 pm

longy wrote:NO, it's not. why are you still in such states, paying taxes to our enemies?
Your Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe vetoed multiple self-defense bills; Senate Bill 1299, Senate Bill 1300, House Bill 1852, and House Bill 1853. Governor McAuliffe used an amendatory veto on Senate Bill 1023 to send the legislation back to the General Assembly in the form of a “one-handgun-a-month” bill.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Post Reply

Return to “Family Prep”