So...My First dead guy, then burritos

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

taipan821

So...My First dead guy, then burritos

Post by taipan821 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 am

Well today I had a cardiac arrest, my first one (turns out they are not as common as one thinks), suspected drug overdose, potentially 2 hours without CPR (last seen alive two hours before we were called).

upon arrival at scene, immediately requested support from fire department for extrication and CPR, 2nd ambo crew on route with ICP back up. Had to cut ropes holding gate closed to get access, then climb up some very shonky stairs (we'll come back to these) found pt in bed, skull dragged them to the lounge and started CPR, breaking ribs on first compression.

Airway sucked, pt kept aspirating and we weren't able to succeed in getting a patent airway, my thanks to the paramedics at the head end, they got covered in vomit. IV access no go so IO was done (EZ-IO Device). monitor applied and rhythm asystole.

20mins of CPR later and 1 mg of adrenaline, not to mention 2 C cylinders and two filled suction units its was called per QAS guidelines. this is where it gets fun.

The fire department arrives and informs the 7 paramedics and the family that the stairs are unsafe (no s*** sherlock), so we have to wait in the house, with the body, the blood, the puke and the family with all our gear while the fire department sets up a ladder as a temporary staircase, the police arrive (dead body, police problem) and we hand the body to their care before returning to station for cleanup.

90 mins later, after all the paramedics have had a bath and in new uniforms, after every bag has been emptied and the vomit cleaned out, after both suctions units have been cleaned, after the cylinders replaced and after all the stock used has been replaced we announce we are back in service, and are going for burritos.

on route, we get sent to someone who called the ambulance so someone could check his blood pressure...

hope you had fun reading!
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: So...My First dead guy, then burritos

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am

Great story! I am not sure I want burritos for a while though. :clownshoes:

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am

raptor wrote:Great story! I am not sure I want burritos for a while though. :clownshoes:
I'm not sure they ever got burritos!
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
raptor wrote:Great story! I am not sure I want burritos for a while though. :clownshoes:
I'm not sure they ever got burritos!
We did, they were tasty, excellent for a wet and stormy night...also soul food :awesome:

springer

Post by springer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am

What is ICP in this instance, and where was the IO placed?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:48 pm

springer wrote:What is ICP in this instance, and where was the IO placed?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Intensive Care Paramedic (ICP) able to intubate, conduct IO insertions, more drugs.

Right leg, just below the knee

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54 pm

taipan821 wrote:Well today I had a cardiac arrest, my first one (turns out they are not as common as one thinks), suspected drug overdose, potentially 2 hours without CPR (last seen alive two hours before we were called).

upon arrival at scene, immediately requested support from fire department for extrication and CPR, 2nd ambo crew on route with ICP back up. Had to cut ropes holding gate closed to get access, then climb up some very shonky stairs (we'll come back to these) found pt in bed, skull dragged them to the lounge and started CPR, breaking ribs on first compression.

Airway sucked, pt kept aspirating and we weren't able to succeed in getting a patent airway, my thanks to the paramedics at the head end, they got covered in vomit. IV access no go so IO was done (EZ-IO Device). monitor applied and rhythm asystole.

20mins of CPR later and 1 mg of adrenaline, not to mention 2 C cylinders and two filled suction units its was called per QAS guidelines. this is where it gets fun.

The fire department arrives and informs the 7 paramedics and the family that the stairs are unsafe (no s*** sherlock), so we have to wait in the house, with the body, the blood, the puke and the family with all our gear while the fire department sets up a ladder as a temporary staircase, the police arrive (dead body, police problem) and we hand the body to their care before returning to station for cleanup.

90 mins later, after all the paramedics have had a bath and in new uniforms, after every bag has been emptied and the vomit cleaned out, after both suctions units have been cleaned, after the cylinders replaced and after all the stock used has been replaced we announce we are back in service, and are going for burritos.

on route, we get sent to someone who called the ambulance so someone could check his blood pressure...

hope you had fun reading!
Wow, I didn't know they had burritos in Australia. That's globalization for you.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 am

Went for tacos after picking up my first dead body. Best and worst tacos I ever had. Great story, the first one usually sticks with you. I was REALLY hoping ICP was insane clown posse :lol:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 am

Just be glad the body hadn't set long enough to get "ripe".
That's not a smell that promotes the eating of burritos after the first exposure.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Everyones protocols are different, so I am always curious - 2 hours should have been enough time for dependent lividity. Our protocols say say DL means no extreme measures.
I have seen where some departments have zero documented threshold for discontinuation of resuscitation, even when it is beyond obvious (i.e. decomp has begun or visible injuries are not compatible with life functions) for emt basics or anything below paramedics.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:51 pm

SRO1911 wrote:Everyones protocols are different, so I am always curious - 2 hours should have been enough time for dependent lividity. Our protocols say say DL means no extreme measures.
I have seen where some departments have zero documented threshold for discontinuation of resuscitation, even when it is beyond obvious (i.e. decomp has begun or visible injuries are not compatible with life functions) for emt basics or anything below paramedics.
I'll link you the relevant sections of our Clinical Practice guidelines
https://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/c ... elines.pdf
https://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/c ... person.pdf

extremities were room temperature, core was still warm. the patient was in the grey area where the criteria for CPR and ROLE were both satisfied.

now if you excuse me, I have a date with Tropical Cyclone Debbie :crazy:

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:21 pm

What kind of burritos? If you don't mind what city are we talking about? We may have to travel down that way to Pine Gap for my wife's work. But that is up in the air for now. Anyway back to the important stuff.....burritos are we talking Taco Bell/chain store or a mom and pop type place? I love a good burrito.

There's a taco/burrito place on the old Subic bay Naval base that is pretty good and back in the 70's they had a place downtown (Via's Taco) that had salsa that would cause your heart to stop. I loved that place the tacos and burritos were excellent, but we never asked what kind of meat they used.

I have no doubt there are good taco/burrito places in Australia, especially since we just returned from Rome and within walking distance of the Vatican they had three different Filipino restaurants.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Laager wrote:What kind of burritos? If you don't mind what city are we talking about? We may have to travel down that way to Pine Gap for my wife's work. But that is up in the air for now. Anyway back to the important stuff.....burritos are we talking Taco Bell/chain store or a mom and pop type place? I love a good burrito.

There's a taco/burrito place on the old Subic bay Naval base that is pretty good and back in the 70's they had a place downtown (Via's Taco) that had salsa that would cause your heart to stop. I loved that place the tacos and burritos were excellent, but we never asked what kind of meat they used.

I have no doubt there are good taco/burrito places in Australia, especially since we just returned from Rome and within walking distance of the Vatican they had three different Filipino restaurants.
I can't think of a single restaurant , unless it was part of a chain ( and even then not looking good ) that was a favorite of my wife and I in the 70's that was still around last time we visited So. Cal.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 pm

flybynight wrote:I can't think of a single restaurant , unless it was part of a chain ( and even then not looking good ) that was a favorite of my wife and I in the 70's that was still around last time we visited So. Cal.

I kind of like to stop at Adaberto's whenever Lil takes me to California, but it all depends on where we go. Can't beat the wide selection of places to eat in the San Diego area. We always go to Pho Ca Dao in Miramar.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Return to “Survival Experiences”