Homestead land in the WA Okanogan

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: Homestead land in the WA Okanogan

Post by LowKey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:56 am

If I might suggest, you may want to look at some of Frank Loyd Wright's designs.
I'm not a fan of his narrow hallways, but he did some interesting things with hexagonal and triangular based designs.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm

ineffableone wrote:So here is the current Sketchup of my house design

Sketchup has really been helping to get a clear idea of scale and how to arrange things. It has saved me plenty of times on figuring out better ways to do this design. As you can see I have further modded the design, changing things a bit. I am sure I will still change plenty more before the final design but figured I would share what I have so far.
I could just be tired(up for almost 30 hours now), but I don't see a real bedroom in the design. I also only see one bathroom area, and if the room directly in front of it might be a bedroom, any visitors who need to use the facilities will have to traipse thru it to do their "bidness".

Perhaps a half-bath closer to your living room would be more convenient for folks.

Will you be putting your washer & dryer setup in one of your mudrooms?

As for heat it looks like your fireplace is in your living room area. We had it like that in our old house and the furthest rooms away were always the coldest. Perhaps a different idea would be to put the woodstove in the center of the kitchen so the heat would travel to each room equally. An other benefit would be the ease of heating food or baking bread in the kitchen, if for some reason your gas/electric range is down.

A extra storage room that could be converted into a bedroom for guests or family when they visit would come in handy too. Few people like sleeping on the couch when there is something like a Murphy bed available.

Cheers.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:I could just be tired(up for almost 30 hours now), but I don't see a real bedroom in the design. I also only see one bathroom area, and if the room directly in front of it might be a bedroom, any visitors who need to use the facilities will have to traipse thru it to do their "bidness".

Perhaps a half-bath closer to your living room would be more convenient for folks.

Will you be putting your washer & dryer setup in one of your mudrooms?

As for heat it looks like your fireplace is in your living room area. We had it like that in our old house and the furthest rooms away were always the coldest. Perhaps a different idea would be to put the woodstove in the center of the kitchen so the heat would travel to each room equally. An other benefit would be the ease of heating food or baking bread in the kitchen, if for some reason your gas/electric range is down.

A extra storage room that could be converted into a bedroom for guests or family when they visit would come in handy too. Few people like sleeping on the couch when there is something like a Murphy bed available.

Cheers.

-urban
The bedroom is the opposite side of the bathroom with the queen sized green bed. Which also has a RMH (rocket mass heater) for heating. Plus, the home being earth sheltered will need a lot less heating than a traditional home.

If you notice I started out the plan with 2 extra bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms. However size and space available altered this quite a bit. Rather than stuffing bathooms into the spoke areas between the hex sections and loosing the majority of the spoke space to bathrooms, I opted to remove the extra bedrooms in on hex and turn that into one large master bath. I would rather have one amazing large bathroom than a couple empty rooms for potential guests.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Have you looked into monolithic domes?http://www.monolithic.org/
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 am

Yes I have looked into the Monolythic domes, they are rather expensive both in concrete costs and rebar costs. Plus you need to be able to get concrete trucks up to the sight, which is not so do able at the moment.

If I were to do concrete I would likely opt for aircrete. Which mixes soap foam in with concrete to make a super light and insulative concrete. By light I mean blocks literally can float on water light. Also due to the air pockets in it, aircrete is a lot more resistant to impact damage. It is less likely to fracture and break. Only big draw back is you can only do it in max 3' lifts, otherwise the wet weight of it will compromise the air bubbles in the foam before it dries.

I am trying to source as much building material as I can off the property it self. Not only to lower costs, but I just like the idea of having a home built mostly of on site materials. So the Wofati style earth shelter homes are perfect for me. As they are all about sourcing materials locally.

Here are a couple wofati tour videos to help give some understanding of them

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm

That's a fantastic looking piece of property! Congratulations and good luck!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 pm

delarey wrote:That's a fantastic looking piece of property! Congratulations and good luck!
Thanks, I really like it too. I am looking forward to getting the infrastructure stuff finished so I can get into the actual fun stuff of gardening and raising livestock. Well at least to me that is the fun part. Building the house will have some fun in it, but really the fun of the house is less the building and more the living it it afterwards.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dieselgenerator

Post by dieselgenerator » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:28 pm

I purchased a 13,750kw Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Cummins which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 pm

I noticed a bunch of the image links were broken so I went back and fixed them, just wanted folks who might have visited and been disappointed that it is up and working now. I don't know how long the links were broken, no one let me know.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 pm

So since I am here and actually have time and access to the internet due to visiting family. Good time to update the thread a bit.

So my sketchup plans got lost when my computer died on me. So I had to restart my designs. Now I likely lost some details but also ended up gaining others. My learning curve had made it so I knew a lot more of how to work the program, and I also knew how I wanted the design to look. I started with a 2d image of the plan. The image I had previously posted. I pasted into on a flat plan in the program and started building off that. This showed me with a little tweak here and there I could make the measurements a bit more "perfect". Rather than odd numbers, get nice simple numbers.

I also did some modifications to the rafter roof design. Simplifying the slopes and making it a much easier concept. But then I realized if I popped the center hex roof up, I could get some extra light and more important air flow in the space. In otherwords, what started out as a disaster turned into a Bob Rossian "happy accident" I think over all I gained a lot more from having to start over than I lost. The only big thing I lost was the plan for the central Walker stove design. A rocket fired wood stove.

So without further ado. Here are some pics to illustrate where I am about now. (there are some more mods I plan to do soon, it is a work in progress still)

So this is a general idea of what it will look like buried, this is the South side of the house and we are looking North

top view

Without the earth cover. Note the cisterns to each side, one for potable water the other for grey water, cistern size and make just representative. The rock "cliffs" on either side as well are not built to actual shape size of real ones, just there to give the idea

top view

with out the roof, you can see the beams now

without the beams, (sorry missed a few beam sections)

top view without the beams, you can now see inside and get a lot better idea of the layout. All furniture is just representative of future plans for rooms. There is a plan for a central built in a Walker stove in the center of the main hex. I lost the design when I lost my original sketchup and haven't rebuilt it yet

OK time to get rid of some clutter, so these pics are without the furniture and other decoration details. That way you can concentrate on the desgin

This is where I hope to get in the build this year. All the posts and beams set in place. If I can get here I will be very happy. Though I might have to settle for only a section of this finished. The window for building is not long up next to the Canadian border. Plus I have a lot of work just to get the site ready.

More to come soon, I still have lots more stuff to show and share.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:49 am

I must admit I love earth sheltered homes. I don't know how well the work in practice but the concept is awesome.

I would caution you on irregular shaped rooms though. The house I live in now (Custom built 2009) has mostly irregular shaped rooms. They tend to use extra material and also waste space on the "footprint" of the house. When I am in my attic looking down I can see all the voids where I probably have an extra 300-400 sqft of space that I can't use. Some voids are nice for sound dampening but it is a little excessive.

Fitting furniture can be a pain too. My bedroom has seven walls for example. This limits how the room can be set up.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:21 am

Earth shelter works great in practice if built right. Problem is most don't build them right, so they often get a bad rap. But a well designed and built earth home has massive benefits cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, better noise control, low maintenance, storm resistant, wild fire resistant, safer in earthquakes as it moves with the earth it is in, efficient use of land (your roof can still be used as garden), and aesthetically blends with he land.

As for the odd shapes, there is a reason beyond aesthetics. Hexagons are the strongest shape in nature. They are also the most efficient shape in nature. I am using hexagons to increase the ability to hold the weight of earth on top of the house. Between the shape and the large post and beam timber framing, I will have no issues of load on my home. I not only have to think about the earth, but snow load as well, and the possible deer, or even cow wandering onto the roof. So I am way over engineering the structure.

As for wasting space, and furniture not fitting. Yeah there maybe be some of that, but I can cope. This is one of the reasons I do have sketchup plans with furniture mock ups in it. So I can explore the way it will hold furniture. But I also don't mind having some space empty. The idea of packing every bit of space is one I have had to live with out of necessity. So having a little bit of unused open space will feel really nice.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Hell yeah! It’s coming together! The designs look great! I’m looking forward to seeing more information on the heating system. Rocket mass heater? Or what do you plan?

The big tank thing in the back is going to be your water supply? I take it rain water or filtered from the pond? Or did you find another spring on the property?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Yep rock mass heaters. There is one in the bedroom, and one in the kitchen plus the walker stove yet to be re designed which is basically a rocket mass heater that you can cook on.

The two big tanks are a potable water left side grey water right. Size shape etc may vary, those were just quick examples I pulled off the sketchup warehouse.

The biggest downside to earth sheltered home, I can't catch the rainwater for house hold use.

I found that there is a notch above my build site that has a small aspen grove, I suspect I will be able to place a well there. Even if it is not the best producing well, having one slightly above and very near the house would be optimal. Other wise, down a steep hill to the north of the build site is likely the best place to find a well site. Though getting a well driller there might be a challenge. I still need to make a rd access to that side of the property and of course where the road would go is the most over grown dense brush and trees.

Short term, I might just fill some tanks from the pond the spring and filter them. I have so much water in the spring my pond is over flowing. But I have put a small dam in the spill way (with plans to make a larger one with a gate to control the water flow. As ell as down the spillway I diverted the water to a dry ridge and built catch pools.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:49 pm

So thought I would toss up some of the wildlife pics I have collected.

First some tracks

Elk track in the mud

Some bear prints in the mud

I have yet to see the elk on my property but it is good to know they are there.

I had seen one large bear on my property, who was so scared of me, that it took off before I saw it. It was the crashing through the brush that made me aware of it, and I spotted it when it came out onto a ridge.

The next year I had a nice encounter with a little bear who only came up to wait height, it was likely just starting life away from it's mother and needed a little friendly interaction.

So this video coming up is of the same little bear who I had up on my property, and think actually has a den in a boulder cave on the East side of my property. I had spotted it one day when hearing something crashing around in the reeds in my pond. I went to investigate, and oddly the ducks spooked at my arrival but not the loud cashing of a bear in the pond. When I got close the bear moved out of the pond to the other side of the narrow finger in the pond. It sat down on the hill on the other side while I talked with it. Asking it not to eat the brown trout I had just put in the pond (pics of them to come). After a bit it decided to come check me out, coming down the hill, across the pond and up to within 15 ft or so. We talked a bit more, or I did, and it moved to a rock formation to look down at me. A game of I am higher, taller than you which I was not willing to play, so I moved around a bush which made him move and in doing so it came closer. When he got within 5 ft, I put my hand out and said "stop right there, close enough" which it did. We hung out there for about 5 min close and curious about eachother. I calmly talked with it and really wanted to pet and hug the dear thing. But know it is not wise to tame a wild animal. Better to appreciate and not domesticate. Since I had no camera I asked it to stay there so I could go get a camera, but sadly when I got back it was gone. So I was very thankful to spot it down the mountain next to rd, eating wild onions. Where I was able to get this video of it.

Sort of sad but also likely good. The next day after the video, I saw the bear on my property again. I was going up a trail from the spill way to a level area where a hill comes down to meat the pond to the right. The bear was coming down the hill to my right and we saw eachother at the saw time. I called out "Hello bear" happy to see it again. But it turned and ran as fast as possible up the hill. I suspect it had a bad encounter with a human since I last saw it. Likely down in the orchard in the valley. While a little sad my friend was scared of me, in the long run probably better it learned to have a healthy fear of humans, I am not typical, and we are not far from many typical humans.

On the the mentioned trout.

While out scouting hunting grounds near by in a large wilderness area with a neighbor, we found a pool in a stream that was drying up. It was absolutely filled with trout and we were heading into the beginning of summer with little likelihood of them getting to a safer place. So I grabbed a couple buckets and moved them home to my pond.

I ended up getting about 12 per bucket. Only lost 4 in the move back home, all the largest of them. But I figure they were not likely to survive much longer anyways, so at least moving them to my pond they had a fighting chance. The dead became fertilizer for the trees near the pond.

Last yr hanging out with one of my neighbors, in a little cabin he built around his trailer. I noticed he had a little friend up in the ceiling of his cabin.

An adorable little bat friend. We sat under this little bat for a couple hrs, with it just watching us and maybe listening wondering why humans are so noisy.

I woke up one morning came out of my cabin door to see this little buddy about to knock.

You can see how close it had come to my door here.

There are plenty of turtles in the area. This is one I rescued from the road in a tire rut. I brought it up to my pond to have a better chance at life and not get run over by a neighbor. Pic taken just before releasing it in the pond.

There are also snakes in the area. Bull (gopher) snakes, rattle snakes, garter snakes, and so many more. But the coolest is the Rubber boa constrictor. The only boa that lives as far north as I am at the Canadian boarder. You wouldn't think they live up there, but they do. This is the 2nd one I found, the first a small little baby. This is a full grown, probably about max size for these.

This is what I saw on the trail, and thankfully saw it and stopped to take some pics.

I left it there, but on the way back saw it still had not moved. It was in a narrow deeo cut with minimal sun exposure. A fairly cold place for a reptile. So I picked it up and brought it over to the Aspen grove by my pond. Thinking it might like that environment better. More food, more shade, more sun, more opportunity. It seemed to really like my holding it and transferring some warmth to it. I worked in the reptile dept of a pet store, and have a special place in my heart for the reptiles of the world. So misunderstood and misaligned.

This gives a good idea of size if it as well as their shape and coloring. Though why they are called rubber boas is they are extremely shape changing. When scared they pull their body into a much fatter shape to look too big to eat. This one was too cold and too happy to share my warmth to do such a trick. I gave it some good warming cuddles and made sure it had gotten more active before releasing it. I wanted to make sure it was mobile enough to choose it's own way and defend itself if needed.

There are of course deer, both white tail and mule deer.

The deer come very close to my camp. Ok they come into my camp.

Like with the bear, I often just don't have a camera on me, and well get so busy interacting with the critters I forget to want to take a pic.

I have had the does come to camp with their fawn feeling totally comfortable with me being closer to the fawn than them. Like with the bear, the temptation is great to pet and hug. But I resist and even back away to prevent getting too close. I don't want to domesticate these wonderful animals.

Some animals spotted but not photographed. Owls, hawks, eagles, pack rats, flying squirrels, rattle snakes, bull snakes, ducks, all sorts of little song birds, coyotes, skunks, toads, tree frogs, chipmunks, squirrels, flocks of dragon flies, amazing butter flies of several varieties, and likely a ton more I just can't think of at the moment but will as soon as I hit the submit button.

Hope folks enjoy this little update.

Still more to come, before I return home and lack of internet.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

delarey

Post by delarey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Living the dream! Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Glad to share, and maybe help inspire others to get out and do their own version. I know it was 30+ yrs of planning and gaining skills to get to this point. It didn't come easy, but it was worth it. Trailer life sucks, but once I get out of the trailer I totally remember how worth it it is. I have 40 acres for a living room, so the trailer doesn't get me down too much. Plus I know it is temporary.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:32 pm

So this is 3 yrs worth of trash on my homestead that finally accumulated to 13 45 gallon bags, enough to finally take a trip to the dump. *edit to add (oops, this is an earlier pic of only 10 bags, I seem to have trashed the 13 bag photo)

Most of this trash came from styrofoam, bubble wrap, and other packing materials from moving out to the property and from online orders for items I needed. After the 1st yr my trash accumulation slowed down a lot. I think I added only the last 4 bags in the next 2 yrs.

Sad thing is my area does not have a good recycling set up. Especially big issue for me is glass is not recycled in the area. I tend to opt for glass over plastic bottles due to glass being able to be recycled infinite times. While plastic just a few times. A few neighbors and I are considering pooling together to make a 3 hr one way glass recycle trip worth it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:44 pm

OK here is some older pics I didn't get around to posting due to infrequent internet access. But will share to help give the progression I have gone through.

1st up I moved the trailer and installed my 400w solar set up.

It stayed like that through the spring and summer, but by fall I knew I needed a better cover for the trailer than just a tarp. Original plans were to build a pole barn, but time was just too short and I had been busy running back and forth from the coast to the property too much. So option 2 was an RV carport. Quick instant shelter, but unable to have a wood stove inside. So the plan was to add a wood cabin on the front to house a wood stove and leave the interior of the RV carport open to the cabin so the heat would circulate into there and lessen the need for heating in the trailer. ** it should be noted I started with help from 1 neighbor on this project, ending with 3-4 neighbors helping** got to love the oldschool barn raising helpful neighbors.

Note the water tank inside the shelter area. The idea behind this is the wood stove would help heat the water so it wont freeze in the winter, as well as the water itself would act as a heat sink to help regulate temps in the shelter. Thus the position is actually quite close to where I put the wood stove. (hind sight, it works pretty well)

I had some issues with the RV carport quality.

obvious welded over wrong holes

Worse though was piece not fitting together. The female end too small for the male ends to fit in. So I had to cut the pipe to open up the opening. It was too late in the season to return and wait for a new one. So just had to make due with what I had. Do my best and hope it worked.

The plan was to put two smaller carports to either side of the front of the RV carport, and the cabin in the middle. So here is me testing the smaller carport frame with the RV carport in progress.

Frame finished now putting the cover on.

Got the cover on, and one carport to the side. It is starting to come together now.

With the 2 carports to the side I can start building the cabin in front of the RV carport. My brother had given me a bunch of tongue and groove boards that I planned to use to build the cabin with. He also hooked me up with 6 of the 9 needed 4/4 posts and lots of other random lumber.

Just a small portion of tongue and groove.

Beginning stages, I was working alone so had to get creative to try and square and plumb.

As I worked hard to get things level and plumb I realized, the high probability of frost heave since I wasn't putting in a solid foundation meant meticulous work would likely be wasted time. So got less worried about perfection and just pushed ahead with reasonable approximations.

Got the roof up, and covered it with a tarp, as the local Barter Faire was coming up.

Video of Barter Faire. Barter Faire started 40+ yrs ago by hippies who moved out to the area and started homesteading. They invited the homesteaders to come and barter their fall goods in exchange for other goods. It has gown a lot since those early days. Sadly a lot more commercialism, and yes some of that hippie party crowd. But you get what you look for. You can find garage/yard sale type stalls, mountain man leather workers, there is a blacksmith, people selling fresh produce, canned produce, raw sheep wool, pottery, and so much more.

While at Barter Faire, it snowed. The mid/end of October and the 1st snow had already come, I was thinking I had to beginning of Nov at least. And we got snow already! Yikes, I got to get this cabin finished!

Started getting the base walls, and floor in.

Looks good up there in the day, but the actual work happened at night. Since I was now in a hurry before the weather got even worse. Jon Snow was right "Winter was coming!"

Had a fire out front to go warn up at and just generally get out and take a break every so often.

A view looking inside at the trailer, open wall making a small cabin connect to a large RV carport. Walls start going up. It is raking shape and entering the home stretch now.

Wait were is the front door, where is the window? Well I hadn't bought the door yet, I had thought I had more time before snow so was hoping a decent exterior door might show up at the recycle store. Nope, had to buy a new door. For both the door and window I just cut the tongue and groove after measuring for the size and placement.

Front door and window installed, floor almost done, and wood stove in place. It is almost done, yay!!

Funny thing, all that rush and worry due to the early snow. Well by the time I was mostly finished with the cabin.

Now of course it didn't stay that way, and I am glad I got it done before the real winter came. But I could have been less rushed and less worried about getting it done. When winter did come, it really made a difference, and I found that I could heat my trailer with just oil lamps when I had the fire out in the cabin. No more propane condensation in the trailer is a very good thing when I am tracking in snow anyways.

My 1st winter in the new RV carport and cabin was a success. The extra room, and ability to get out of the trailer but not out side was great. Of course going outside was also great especially since my mom got me snowshoes for x-mas. I had a lot of fun getting out exploring the property in the winter with them. Really made it so much easier for me to spend time outside in the winter.

Thankfully my brother had hooked me up with a bunch of fire wood, a lot of it was 3-4 yrs of drying after split and cut. So I had multiple loads when bringing stuff back from the coast, that uhaul with the tongue and groove, this is what the uhaul looked like full.

After the 1st winter, this is what I was left with for fire wood.

Looking down to my camp that winter from the hill to the North of camp. You can see the carports and if you look hard you can see the back of the solar panels which I moved up the hill to get better sun exposure. Since by Nov, the sun sets by 2 pm for the area my camp is set up. The next year I actually moved the solar panels further up the hill after getting a little more cable to let it reach further. It is probably as far up as I can go without loosing too much in length of cable to vs getting more sun exposure. But this is a temp set up, the house build will have a completely different panel location with better sun exposure.

camp in the right corner, and the rest of the property blanketed in beautiful snow.

Hope you all enjoyed this. I still have at least one more dump of pics and story before I head back in a week. So stay tuned.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Awesome post! Love the pictures and the cabin idea is awesome! Can’t wait to see more as you go and build your house and expand your homestead!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am

So I had said I was going to do another photo dump before I headed back home but things got busy and I wasn’t able to put the time into making it happen before I left.

So here goes the update I meant to post.

Last fall I finally got the piece of heavy equipment I was looking forward to getting. I had known I was going to need a piece of heavy equipment, and given the terrain of my property and what I want to do in regards for earthworks I wanted a dozer with a 6 way blade.

I finally found a nice small dozer on craigs list.

I was really stoked to find not only a dozer, but one with a backhoe.

I went to check out the dozer. With a neighbor who is a diesel mechanic to check it over for me.

Immediately wanted it, being a John Deere which my grandfather worked for, plus having the backhoe attachment. I knew I wanted it but was able to talk the price down a little, making it a bit more affordable. But had to come back to pick it up, after getting a trailer to bring it back home. And this is where the adventure gets a bit crazy.

My neighbor who is a diesel mechanic said he would help me out getting a trailer, making sure it was appropriate to haul the dozer as well as having a truck to do the hauling. I was relying on him for the hauling and I over estimated his knowledge and ability. As well as he seems to have overestimated how much he knew. I rented a trailer after my neighbor and the renter saying the trailer would handle the dozer and backhoe just fine. Though after getting it loaded the first signs it was not the proper trailer were showing. As seen in the amount the tires were squished down by the weight of the dozer on the trailer.

We got down the road a ways, thankfully past the major urban areas. And the troubles started.

1st, a tire blew.

Had to unload the dozer to jack up the trailer, and even used the dozer to lift the trailer.

Not just to change the tire, but it turns out what caused the tire to fail was the axle came loose of the u-bolt and caused the tire to rub and blow.

Now this happened in the night, so what we actually did was find a hotel and slept and got a u bolt set from Farmers Supply in the morning. After getting a good nights rest and then fixing the axle and putting on the spare. We headed to Les Schwab to get a new spare. Wanting to just get the spare fixed right away rather than waiting to get home.

In the parking lot of Les Schwab we slowly went over a speed bump and there was a snap in the axle.

If you notice in the picture, the people who rented me the trailer had welded an extra strip of metal onto the axle. The break happened right after their weld, which likely means their welding ruined the temper of the axle metal. This is were I had relied on my neighbor to check out the trailer, and he had failed me. He should have realized this looking over the trailer but didn’t.

We got the ok to unload the dozer there in the parking lot, using a bunch of used tires to roll down on to prevent the tracks from ripping into the pavement. We went back home and found someone else who loaned me another trailer to use. As well as returned the broken trailer. Then headed back to get the dozer.

So here the dozer is loaded on the 2nd trailer.

I had wanted to load it backward, but my neighbor insisted blade first was the proper way. Again another time where his knowledge was lacking. Pretty quickly we started fishtailing when ever we got up over 50 mph. This was happening do to the backhoe boom starting to swing, as well as the weight was sitting back too much. We pulled off the highway, and spun the dozer around on top of the trailer.

This seemed to help and we got to within 3 hrs of home, before another flat tire happened to us. Thankfully when we were off the highway and about to fill up with gas. I don’t have pics of this as it was late at night, we were a bit worn out, and it was dark. My neighbor had thankfully lived in the area previously and tracked down a spare tire from a friend of his.

So we got back on the road and got almost 2 hrs down the road when the tire we replaced sheered the bolts and came off the trailer rolling down the road. Amazingly I went back and found the tire and brought it back. But we didn’t have new bolts, we were worn out, it was 2-3 in the morning, and things were getting a bit stressful.

We went to the nearest town and tried to sleep in the truck cab for a bit, but by the time the sun was up it was obvious that we weren’t going to get any good sleep. So a woke my neighbor, and suggested we just drive home. I wanted to contact the person who loaned me the trailer, and have him let me know how he wanted to deal with things. My neighbor was a bit upset at this, wanting to be the one to fix the problem and I think just frustrated and worn out. But he agreed, and we headed home.

At this point I was realizing my neighbor was not as knowledgeable as he made himself out to seem. The last thing I wanted to deal with was causing more problems due to lack of sleep and lack of knowledge. At this point I was getting to the point of feeling like we were pushing our luck and that with heavy equipment accidents can be very dangerous as well as costly. Plus I was starting to learn more about trailers, and loads with all this experience, and realized I needed someone with more experience than my neighbor to help out.

So after getting in touch with the trailer owner, we went down got the trailer fixed, and back on the road. Shortly on the road, he immediately said the load was tail heavy. We stopped and repositioned the dozer. and had no problems after that.

So long story short, I finally got my dozer up to my place.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 03, 2019 11:54 am

So of course I started doing some work with the dozer, shortly after getting it home. Though it was pretty dry and the dirt around my area is a fine dusty stuff, we call moon dust. So I was limiting myself to just a little work on the easement road. Smoothing a little out in anticipation of winter to come.

And the 1st day of doing stuff, I throw a track.

Thankfully another neighbor had been in the military and had felt with thrown tracks while serving. He came up and took a look at it. Then the next day we and his son, who is my age, got it back in place. Seems a wood fence post had gotten jammed up in the works and derailed the track. Took a bit of work but thankfully it was only off partially.

After that I did little with it, and have only just gotten back to using it since winter and my time away from the homestead.

But I should mention here as well, the resolution to the trailers. I had to pay for the sheared bolts and flat on the 2nd trailer. As well as the 1st trailer’s issues. In all It would have cost about the same or less to pay for a professional service. With a lot less drama and headache.

The people who rented me the 1st trailer tried to claim I owed double what Les Schwabs had quoted me, as well as what I priced out at North 40, a homestead supply store. They wanted to argue and claimed I said the dozer weighed less, etc… But eventually settled for half what they wanted to charge me.
Last edited by ineffableone on Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 12:14 pm

After more than 40 years in the family construction business, and countless hours hauling equipment like this around, this made me cringe so hard I think I developed a permanent squint that I'm gonna have to charge you for... :clownshoes: :crazy:

A two-axle trailer is far too light to haul equipment like that. You need a good wood decked triple if you want to do it right, or at least a properly equipped and maintained two-axle. Next time, if the trailer has those white spoked wheels, it's the wrong trailer. Might be fine for hauling some yard equipment around, a couple of mowers, maybe a Kubota tractor, but not that dozer. The second trailer was just scary as hell. Do not ever do that again, please. You're a good member here, an asset to the ZS community, we'd really hate to lose you to an accident, and that setup was an accident waiting to happen.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”