ACU UCP doesn't have to suck!

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

logman78

ACU UCP doesn't have to suck!

Post by logman78 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi all, first post here after lurking for a while. As you can probably see already, UCP pattern ACU gear is hitting the market at considerably lower prices than it's better camo counterparts. Regardless of whether you've found yourself with a DD214 and a ton of ACU stuff or just want to aquire decent gear at a lower cost due to shitty camo, you can make it practical! Below are some pics of various UCP ACU gear I've been dying in order to make its camo properties not suck. Each piece was dyed using liquid Rit, boiling water, and white vinegar. Soak and agitation times varied depending on what I was aiming for. Hoping you find this entertaining or useful and if you have specific questions about anything, feel free to ask.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c35a39370 ... 55.25.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c35a0a391 ... 57.32.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c35a0e94f ... 56.17.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gristle McThornBody

Re: ACU UCP doesn't have to suck!

Post by Gristle McThornBody » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Love the look of the backpack, what color dye did you use? I presume you can monitor the dye as it's working and stop when you're satisfied?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Luthifer wrote:
davidt1 wrote: I like to carry my things discreetly. I don't want to look like an electrician or someone like that.
I have often feared being mistaken for an electrician. Sometimes, people ask me to rewire their breaker panels FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

logman78

Post by logman78 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Gristle McThornBody wrote:Love the look of the backpack, what color dye did you use? I presume you can monitor the dye as it's working and stop when you're satisfied?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
On the assault pack (2nd pic), I used liquid Rit Camel for 30 mins.

JFire

Post by JFire » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:52 am

Ive died DCU gear almost a blaze orange for small game hunting. So far just a waist pack but it turned out pretty nice.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... 433663.jpg[/img]]

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:06 pm

This post reminds me that I have a few sets of ACUs in my closet that need to be dyed. Want to get as close to a coyote brown as possible.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:41 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:This post reminds me that I have a few sets of ACUs in my closet that need to be dyed. Want to get as close to a coyote brown as possible.
Remember to note the times soaking in the dye and how much dye and how much vinegar was used.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
ManInBlack316 wrote:This post reminds me that I have a few sets of ACUs in my closet that need to be dyed. Want to get as close to a coyote brown as possible.
Remember to note the times soaking in the dye and how much dye and how much vinegar was used.
Probably will be quite awhile until I do it. In the middle of house hunting and packing :gonk:

Return to “Other Gear”