melee weapons of choice

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
bamboo spear
* *
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by bamboo spear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Probably a white oak bokken. I've been training with one regularly for years and can strike pretty hard and quickly with it. Of course, a genuine sword is more likely to be fatal, but with a bokken you can gauge your level of "intensity". You can kill with a single strike to the head if necessary, but can maim or target the collarbone, ribs, shins, forearms, wrists and hands to simply disarm and cripple an attack.

Those Chinese ones will splinter and crack the first time they cross with a white oak bo staff, but the white oak swords border on indestructable.

Plus, up close you can grab the blade and use the whole thing like a jo staff, and it's a lot easier to drive around with one next to your budo bag. Or if you're going out for an evening walk, any meter-length wooden stick can double as a sword if you target the right areas.

Close_enough
* * *
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Close_enough » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 pm

The Twizzler wrote: Imagine a fist sized stone spinning at the end of 3 feet of rope as fast as can be spun. I could release it or I could just hit you directly.
Umm, the lead sling bullets recovered were typically 1-2 oz. And, slungshots (there's a number of examples in ABoK) have been around 1-2 ft and only carrying a few ounces.
yossarian wrote: If you use it as a contact weapon, it's basically a slungshot with no assurances that it won't turn into just a handful of string after the first strike or two. While slungshots and monkey fists have proven to be effective improvised weapons for centuries, my first choice of melee weapons wouldn't be what amounts to a pet rock on a leash.
Might I bring up the Latin American Bolas? Historic accounts note that they were used as striking weapons as well as hunting weapons. IME, they're a low easier to hit targets with then slings due to the 3-4 ft span.

Speaking of primitive weapons, I recently saw a National Geographic type tv program where everybody was carrying around 7 ft staves with what looked like tomahawk heads mounted near the top. It was in sub-Saharan Africa. Any idea what those were?

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4932
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Dogan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Close_enough wrote:Speaking of primitive weapons, I recently saw a National Geographic type tv program where everybody was carrying around 7 ft staves with what looked like tomahawk heads mounted near the top. It was in sub-Saharan Africa. Any idea what those were?
Sounds a lot like a poleaxe to me. Do you know the name of the tribe/more specific region? I could have sworn I'd seen old pictures of Masai warriors carrying poleaxes along with their spear bearing brethren, but I think poleaxes/long tomahawks where more common in the Congo and West Africa, with notable (mostly) ceremonial use by the Zulu. Also, when you say "tomahawk," could they have been adzes, which are popular the world over, or something more akin to a Dane axe?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
rednekrampager
* *
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.
Location: Kingman, AZ

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm throwing in a vote for the Police Truncheon . Cold Steel is making a version of it & I kinda dig it.
Get off my lawn!!

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by drop bear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 am

rednekrampager wrote:I'm throwing in a vote for the Police Truncheon . Cold Steel is making a version of it & I kinda dig it.
interestingly primative versions of the truncheon are flat like a paddle. Which would probably do a bit more damage.
Image

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4932
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Dogan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:22 pm

drop bear wrote:
rednekrampager wrote:I'm throwing in a vote for the Police Truncheon . Cold Steel is making a version of it & I kinda dig it.
interestingly primative versions of the truncheon are flat like a paddle. Which would probably do a bit more damage.
Image
Especially edge wise, something Pacific Islanders picked up a few thousand years ago:
Image
Always loved this style. Yes, those are shark teeth. Others used flakes of obsidian as edge blades.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Close_enough
* * *
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Close_enough » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Dogan wrote:
Close_enough wrote:Speaking of primitive weapons, I recently saw a National Geographic type tv program where everybody was carrying around 7 ft staves with what looked like tomahawk heads mounted near the top. It was in sub-Saharan Africa. Any idea what those were?
Sounds a lot like a poleaxe to me. Do you know the name of the tribe/more specific region? I could have sworn I'd seen old pictures of Masai warriors carrying poleaxes along with their spear bearing brethren, but I think poleaxes/long tomahawks where more common in the Congo and West Africa, with notable (mostly) ceremonial use by the Zulu. Also, when you say "tomahawk," could they have been adzes, which are popular the world over, or something more akin to a Dane axe?
It was small for a Dane axe, and mounted a good foot from the top of the pole. If I had to guess agricultural uses, I'd say some sort of light axe remounted on a long handle. The blade edge wasn't far enough from the pole to be a tiller, or other earth work tool.

It was a program about lion research. Everybody was in western clothing, so no idea about tribes. The terrain was brushy and semi-arid. Medium altitude desert like. If I had to guess, I'd say Krueger National Park or a similar place.'

BillDfensFoster
*
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by BillDfensFoster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 pm

I have a Kershaw Siege tomahawk that I carry in a belt mounted hammer loop and a CRKT Dragon that I carry as a necknife on a length of paracord .
Now you're gonna die in that stupid hat. How does it feel ?- Bill Foster
I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.--Daniel Plainview

User avatar
bu55c
*
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by bu55c » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 am

Dogan wrote:I believe my first post in this thread was praising the capabilities of the brush hook. Welp, ZGB did a test with it and I still stand by my original brush hook/machete melee load out:

These things are NASTY and relatively cheap on Amazon!
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I would have a few bolitos with me to toss around some heads, in addition to my standard melee weapons. The world becoming chaotic and all, Cormac McCarthy has offered some fine outside the norm ideas.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I've always wanted to weaponize a T-post.

Sharpen the blade and the end near the blade and you ought to really have something.

Even just if pulled out of the ground you'd have something deadly as hell.

And they are literally everywhere in America
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
SRO1911
* * *
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Zimmy wrote:I've always wanted to weaponize a T-post.

Sharpen the blade and the end near the blade and you ought to really have something.

Even just if pulled out of the ground you'd have something deadly as hell.

And they are literally everywhere in America
Go hit a little tree with one, or just grab as wide as you can and bend... go ahead, it will make you feel muey machismo. T posts are great when combined with TIGHT wire adding support. By itself a t post is only slightly stiffer/stronger than a starched jock strap - and about as comfortable to deal with.

When it comes to improvised weaponry, I would still favor things at least marginally designed for human hands. Hammers, hatchets, hoes, golf clubs et cetera

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:51 pm

If you can bend a full gauge 6 1/2' T-post at full arms width you are tougher than your west Texas boots. Those cheesy green stamped metal ones don't count.

Yeah, it ain't perfect and its gotta help to have callouses to melee with one. Or adrenaline. Whichever.

It's not a tree chopper, quit hitting trees. The jarring from the hit would make the most wannabe badass drop the thing like it bit him.

But a soft body? I think it would hurt much more on the getting end than at the giving end.

Besides, pull another out of a fence and you're good as new!
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
SRO1911
* * *
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm

longy wrote:I'd take a cold Steel shovel for close range (mostly for other uses) and a cold steel Bushman (Bowie point) for mounting as a spear head.
So does the shovel come with a conversion unit? Ciener spoon kit maybe?

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2351
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 pm

longy wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:
longy wrote:I'd take a cold Steel shovel for close range (mostly for other uses) and a cold steel Bushman (Bowie point) for mounting as a spear head.
So does the shovel come with a conversion unit? Ciener spoon kit maybe?
best you can DO, punk?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
SRO1911
* * *
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 pm

longy wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:
longy wrote:I'd take a cold Steel shovel for close range (mostly for other uses) and a cold steel Bushman (Bowie point) for mounting as a spear head.
So does the shovel come with a conversion unit? Ciener spoon kit maybe?
best you can DO, punk?

Best? No, you don't rate best - or even moderate effort. Your antics are however mildly amusing. I enjoy ZS as "infotainment", there are occasionally posts that strike new avenues of thinking, innovations I would not otherwise see. There are several very excellent writers in the fiction section who deserve far more than just kudos on a message board, and then every rare once in a while we get a gem. The basement (or dugout door creaks open and out slithers a troll...this wild species is normally harmless, provided it has access to various dew products, hot pockets and, blue cord.
Trolls, albeit short lived, often serve to stir up humor and mix things up - so thank you.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Zimmy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:49 am

For short range I have a Bagwell 5X Damascus Bowie. Bill himself taught me how to run it in a grueling day of negative reinforcement and positive coaching.

Wow, I wish I could afford that cool Cold Steel stuff the trolls carry.....
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12451
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 am

longy wrote:I'd take a cold Steel shovel for close range (mostly for other uses) and a cold steel Bushman (Bowie point) for mounting as a spear head.
Or
longy wrote:
yeah, $25 is a bit much for you to spend on any sort of gear., without a doubt.. $45 for the spear point, which I'd not bother to own, cause I carry a gun and I'm not getting in any melee's.
Symptoms of dementia

In addition to difficulty remembering, the person may also experience impairments in:

language
communication
focus
reasoning

1. Subtle short-term memory changes

2. Difficulty finding the right words

3. Changes in mood

4. Apathy

5. Difficulty completing normal tasks
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4293
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by teotwaki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:18 am

longy wrote:best you can DO, punk?

Yeah, I am a punk. I've failed to emulate your awesomeness... but I will use my Cold Steel ice axe as a melee weapon

(the steel was really cold, too)

Image
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
204
*
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:28 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't really care much for zombie movies,to be honest. I watched the Walking Dead for a bit; couldn't really get into it. Once in a blue moon I'll put in Zombieland for a good chuckle. I suppose "World War Z" was one of the more well-done zombie movies I've seen.
Location: Alaska

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by 204 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 pm

I'd probably go with a pair of Nunchakus/Okinawan Rice Flails for close to medium range as my first melee weapon. Not necessarily because it's my favorite, but because it's the one I have the most training with and feel confident enough in my ability to use them effectively in combat...it might be a favorite though; I particularly like the grace and beauty of them; it's almost more like dancing at times as opposed to fighting haha.

For a long-range attack I'd go with poison-dipped throwing stars.

Chances are I wouldn't be running into any combat; I'd be traveling in the shadows, moving slowly, scarcely making a sound, leaving as many footprints in different directions as I can to confuse the enemy, (when you can't get rid of evidence, create an abundance of evidence to confuse your adversary), doubling back using the "J-Hook" counter-tracking technique to set an ambush for anyone who might be following me. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.....for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley. :twisted:


Stay true. Stay free. Stay safe.

--204
"What we do to our children...THEY will do to Society."

--Pliny the Elder

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm

204 wrote:I'd probably go with a pair of Nunchakus/Okinawan Rice Flails for close to medium range as my first melee weapon. Not necessarily because it's my favorite, but because it's the one I have the most training with and feel confident enough in my ability to use them effectively in combat...it might be a favorite though; I particularly like the grace and beauty of them; it's almost more like dancing at times as opposed to fighting haha.

For a long-range attack I'd go with poison-dipped throwing stars.

Chances are I wouldn't be running into any combat; I'd be traveling in the shadows, moving slowly, scarcely making a sound, leaving as many footprints in different directions as I can to confuse the enemy, (when you can't get rid of evidence, create an abundance of evidence to confuse your adversary), doubling back using the "J-Hook" counter-tracking technique to set an ambush for anyone who might be following me. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.....for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley. :twisted:


Stay true. Stay free. Stay safe.

--204
You should probably nix the poison dipped throwing stars. Most likely you'd stick yourself or have the poison on your hand from handling them, then pick your teeth/nose/eye or something. Also what fast acting poison were you thinking of using that wouldn't kill you on contact? Because any slow acting poison will give the adversary time to kill you first, then later they'd die of poison. Revenge is not satisfying for the dead.

jusss sayin'

Image

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

1. 2 pound mini-sledge hammer (a claw hammer like a nice Estwing would do as well).

2. Baseball bat (even one of those poly Cold Steel branded jobs)

3. Machete


Because... I know how to use those and they don't require much training unless you count years of baseball practice and household maintenance.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zed Hunter
* *
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 am

German mace or war hammer, Bill hook.

User avatar
Dabster
* * *
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: melee weapons of choice

Post by Dabster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18 pm

If I could have a dedicated melee weapon, one of these sounds like it would be pretty swell...

Image

It's an iron flanged mace. Used by the 12th century Mongolians.
:awesome:
Anyone know if there is an optimal length for one of these? Asking for a friend...
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Post Reply

Return to “Other Weapons”