Looking for a business appropriate EDC/GHB bag.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Looking for a business appropriate EDC/GHB bag.

Post by roOism » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:34 am

Got an unexpected bonus for Christmas and have been thinking about getting a good bag that will function as both a work briefcase/EDC bag, and also carry some GHB gear.

I work in a high dollar retail setting where anything remotely tactical will immediely draw attention. I share an office with the president of the company and employees and sometimes customers are coming in and out of my office daily, so I want to avoid anything with visible molle attachments, anything military/tactical looking.

That said,
I don't want to buy some cheesy/flimsy messenger bag or briefcase that's going to fall apart on me.

Pack will need to contain my laptop & some business related gear, and have room for a few gear pouches like the maxpedition EDC pouch (one for tools & such, another for a small FAK)

Would like to stay under $200 if possible.

Any thoughts?
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Close_enough

Re: Looking for a business appropriate EDC/GHB bag.

Post by Close_enough » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:31 am

Laptop backpacks are almost as ubiquitous as laptop portfolios . About 20-30 liters seems to be the most common size. Tumi, Briggs and Riley, or Victorinox if you're fashion conscious. Swiss Gear, Samsonite, Targus, or Case Logic for function that won't stand out.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:13 am

I'll second the suggestion of a laptop bag.

If you think a laptop bag is too small, pilot bags are larger but there's a smaller range on the market and prices are generally higher (although your $200 budget should give you a reasonable choice).
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

grids7
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Omega Man, Shaun of the Dead

Post by grids7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:47 am

I'll recommend The North Face Router, black, ~40L. No MOLLE, clean look, not flashy, but for me it's well-built, holds my get home gear, and clocked in at ~$130.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:56 pm

https://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and- ... case.shtml

Well I guess my search is over. I was asking my boss what he used, and it turns out he had a spare one of these (lost it, bought a new one, found this one) and said I could have it. It's a couple years old but has a lifetime guarantee for damage repair.

He said he paid about $450 for it. Sweet.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Vagabond Tom

Post by Vagabond Tom » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 am

Can't beat Free! If you decide to go in another direction I would recommend checking out Mystery Ranch and Topo Designs laptop style bags.
If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger!

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:05 am

I use a 5.11 Covrt 18 backpack.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

DementedDigital

Post by DementedDigital » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Towanda wrote:I use a 5.11 Covrt 18 backpack.
I use one of those also.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:52 pm

http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/6009.htm

If in need for more of backpack style bag in the future, I use the GGG Stealth Operator bag in coyote. I does comes in black as well. It's a pretty sweet US made bag for around $110.

2now

Post by 2now » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

I've had really great luck with my Tom Bihn bag, I've been using it since about the turn of the century, all the time, still 100% great.

I have a brain bag
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/bac ... 6392317767
With a brain cell for my laptop that snaps into the pack.

Very urban, non threatening and high functional.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

The Bobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTD6Hs6HBk

I got a similar one, the Tiggernu, that was cheaper on Amazon and doesn't have all the same pockets as the Bobby but I like it. Talk about greyman it is great. Hard to get into. Water resistant and cut proof. It holds a lot. I have about 20 lbs of gear in it now and it is quite comfortable to wear. Looks great for the office and has plenty of interior hide pockets too.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

moab

Post by moab » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I work in a similar environment. But so many of my coworkers use backpacks with laptop pouches in the pack that I have no problem rocking my 5.11 day pack. It's colored in multicam and even has molle. But if I'd bought it in basic black I doubt anyone at work or otherwise could tell it from my coworkers packs. One of my coworkers has a Dakine backpack that looks almost the same as mine. Same pack straps and overall look. In black the molle does not stand out. But even a Dakine with a laptop sleeve would be a good idea. It comes in all colors and patterns too. Look at the College model I think it is. It's like 37L IIRC. Which is large enough to fit a GHB in. And looks like any other work or school backpack.

I'd stick with a pack. Just get a nice color. My son had one in grey that looked nice. Otherwise your looking at a duffle of some kind I would guess. Not very effective as a GHB but it would work. You'd be surprised how many people use backpacks for work now days. I wouldn't sweat it. Put some work out clothes in it and call it your "workout" bag. No one will be the wiser.

I can't think of anything else that would fit in better. Those rolling carryon suitcases? IDK. I think the backpack is the blend in item you need personally.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:14 pm

2now wrote:I've had really great luck with my Tom Bihn bag, I've been using it since about the turn of the century, all the time, still 100% great.

I have a brain bag
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/bac ... 6392317767
With a brain cell for my laptop that snaps into the pack.

Very urban, non threatening and high functional.
I like the options it has. It has given me some ideas for mods to mine. I just don't like the $200 price tag attached to it. .
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 am

DementedDigital wrote:
I use one of those also.
I really lucked out and got mine on sale for around 40% off. There's nothing about it that screams "tacticool" but the daisy chain webbing on the outside could be useful if I needed it. I don't have anything to attach to the MOLLE (or is it PALS? I don't know the difference) webbing inside the front pocket, so I keep a small Grid-It organizer in there.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

DementedDigital

Post by DementedDigital » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Towanda wrote:
DementedDigital wrote:
I use one of those also.
I really lucked out and got mine on sale for around 40% off. There's nothing about it that screams "tacticool" but the daisy chain webbing on the outside could be useful if I needed it. I don't have anything to attach to the MOLLE (or is it PALS? I don't know the difference) webbing inside the front pocket, so I keep a small Grid-It organizer in there.
Nice deal! How did you find that? Mine wasn't list price, but I think that it was close.

There was a local company putting together a pre-packaged kit based on this pack, which is where I first saw it. I remember that they had some magazine pouches on the MOLLE webbing, and when that pocket is zipped you obviously couldn't see them. There are some little "toggles" at the bottom of that pocket, and presumably it can be rolled down and then held in place with those (keeping the MOLLE exposed). I don't use the webbing either, but I do carry one of these http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma54tandtpouch.aspx in that pocket with various bits and pieces inside it. The Grid-It looks like it would be very useful and have less bulk.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 pm

DementedDigital wrote:
Towanda wrote: I really lucked out and got mine on sale for around 40% off. There's nothing about it that screams "tacticool" but the daisy chain webbing on the outside could be useful if I needed it. I don't have anything to attach to the MOLLE (or is it PALS? I don't know the difference) webbing inside the front pocket, so I keep a small Grid-It organizer in there.
Nice deal! How did you find that? Mine wasn't list price, but I think that it was close.

There was a local company putting together a pre-packaged kit based on this pack, which is where I first saw it. I remember that they had some magazine pouches on the MOLLE webbing, and when that pocket is zipped you obviously couldn't see them. There are some little "toggles" at the bottom of that pocket, and presumably it can be rolled down and then held in place with those (keeping the MOLLE exposed). I don't use the webbing either, but I do carry one of these http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma54tandtpouch.aspx in that pocket with various bits and pieces inside it. The Grid-It looks like it would be very useful and have less bulk.
I stumbled into a clearance sale on 5.11's website a couple years ago. My Covrt is in a discontinued color scheme.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 am

carabee freshwater.

https://youtu.be/bTsQMcrjzLY

It is a solid bag and has a wet dry compartment. which is waterproofish.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”