Shoulder Holster

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

brothaman

Shoulder Holster

Post by brothaman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:35 am

I've picked up a XDS 45 and I Kind of like it. I think this pistol will make the Field gun rotation as well as EDC. I was thinking about a shoulder holster that might be good for both jobs. I do already have a good IWB holster BTW. I'm looking at several shoulder holsters and have come up with a few questions....

Are shoulder holsters difficult to draw from if not attached to the belt?
Are kydex shoulder holsters difficult to draw from?
Vertical vs Horizontal which is easier to draw?
I want to be able to wear this with a Back pack,.. holster suggestions, anecdotes, experiences regarding this?
Last edited by brothaman on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: Shoulder Holster

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:14 pm

I can't help with the shoulder holster except to say you're less likely to injure someone else with an accidental discharge if it's vertical. Nice purchase. I think Springfield has some of the nicest magazines you can get these days.

brothaman wrote:I've picked up a XDS 45 and I Kind of like it. I think this pistol of make the Field gun rotation as well as EDC. I was thinking about a shoulder holster that might be good for both jobs. I do already have a good IWB holster BTW. I'm look a several shoulder holster and have come up with a few questions....

Are shoulder holsters difficult to draw from if not attached to the belt?
Are kydex shoulder holsters difficult to draw from?
Vertical vs Horizontal which is easier to draw?
I want to be able to wear this is a Back pack,.. holster suggestions, anecdotes, experiences regarding this?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 am

I really like the idea of a shoulder holster. I have bought several over the years. I honestly do not use them anymore except when riding a vehicle or a critter on my farm. They are IMO (opinion and personal preference here) terrible for CCW use. YMMV.

I have found the verticle type to be far more secure in terms of retaining the firearm and as a result harder to draw with or without a belt attachment. The belt attachment both helps with the draw and keeps the pistol from swinging around too much. The horizontal holsters are much faster to draw, but in my experience they tend to move around too much unless you they are very tightly secured. I find that to be uncomfortable.

I have bought cheap nylon holsters, leather custom holsters and simple leather imitation tanker holsters.

All except 1 has been in the closet for years. The 1 I do like is the tanker type holsters which allows me to chest carry it. I find this useful when on a vehicle or riding a critter.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Shoulder holsters went out with the 90s. They have the following issues:

- Very slow to draw from
- Provides an "unnatural" presentation upon drawing
- Requires that you point your weapon at some of your body parts during drawing
- As Raptor pointed out is troublesome to draw from unless attached very tightly and attached to your belt
- More prone to interference from other clothing
- Heavy
- Bulky
- Requires an over garment to CC

I wore a tanker rig back in the 90s in the Army on patrol. They were very popular back then before the days of everyone wearing level IV body armor.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:20 pm

I used a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster when I drove a taxi. Like any other holster system, drawing becomes easier with practice. Drawing while standing was easier with belt tie-downs. Sitting in a car, the tie-downs didn't make much difference. My shoulder holster is horizontal but I was carrying an XD-40 Subcompact. Anything with a barrel longer than three inches will need to be vertical to stay concealed. I generally prefer leather holsters over Kydex, mostly because leather is easier on the gun's finish.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 am

I'm mostly aware of the pros and cons of shoulder holsters. I'm not concern about horizontal carry. I'm aware that the muzzle is sweeping over everything, but I'm fine with that. It would be holstered and the trigger would be covered. I'll mainly wear this setup when hunting, working at the hunting lease, or at church. At the Hunt club, I'm in and out of the truck, doing physical work, or hunting in a tree stand. Occasionally scootin' and shootin'. Then there's Church, the only place I have to sit comfortably for a few hours. Any other place I'm going to have pancake or a hybrid IWB.

Oh,.. and Hiking. I've still like my HPG kit bag, but more and more I prefer to use it as a bag and not a holster. My day hiking load is pretty balanced with kit bag. I'd rather use the space my pistol takes for a few more admin type items. Hence the need to have the shoulder holster work with a Backpack. Additionally, if I shed the bags for a quick break or,... not so quick (poop) break, I'll still have the pistol on me for snakes and such. Early this season I crossed paths with a rattler while taking whizz on the way to the deer stand. The pistol was on my hip that time. I don't want to get caught in an "emergency deuce" and not be able to draw. It's rare, but it could happen.

I've tried a few holsters since my first post. Uncle Mike's nylon thing is the worst. Just stiff and uncomfortable. I tried a horizontal cheap nylon thing with snaps. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't comfortable. It worked better with the Backpack that I thought it would. Drawing with the back pack on was easy enough, not bad with out. I think a thumb break type will work better. I ordered a Galco Classic Lite. It's like the Miami but suede and made for a smaller gun with a thumb break type holster. The other side has a single mag carrier. If that doesn't work will for me, then I think I'll scrap the multi-purpose idea.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Shoulder holsters are still really popular among outdoorsmen up here more or less for the reasons you mentioned. They don't interfere as much with backpacks and they keep the handgun up out of the water.

Chest holsters have become way more popular than traditional shoulder holsters, but it doesn't sound like that would work for you since it's not concealable under normal clothing and you want to carry different stuff across your chest.

Sorry I don't have much to add, as I don't have much experience with shoulder holsters myself. If for some reason they don't work out for you then maybe a belly band would? I don't have any experience with those either.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:53 pm

brothaman wrote:I'm mostly aware of the pros and cons of shoulder holsters. I'm not concern about horizontal carry. I'm aware that the muzzle is sweeping over everything, but I'm fine with that. It would be holstered and the trigger would be covered. I'll mainly wear this setup when hunting, working at the hunting lease, or at church. At the Hunt club, I'm in and out of the truck, doing physical work, or hunting in a tree stand. Occasionally scootin' and shootin'. Then there's Church, the only place I have to sit comfortably for a few hours. Any other place I'm going to have pancake or a hybrid IWB.
Up until you got to the church part where I assume you want concealment I was going to say to try one of these.
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/ ... ItemID=113

There are many others that offer similar type attachments. YMMV

I use this for the field part you were describing. It is perfect for that and inexpensive to boot. You may have to stretch (or shrink) the leather to get a good fit but these will fit the field bill nicely.

As for church I assume that CCW in your church is legal, authorized, permitted or otherwise we are not discussing an illegal act.

For such instances I would suggest that you go to your tailor and get his assistance. I have a navy blazer that I had my tailor modify for me. You may want something different but what I did was have the interior blazer pocket made into a ripaway (with velcro) pocket. He adjusted the jacket with my (at the time CCW which was a compact auto) in the pocket. It is very discrete even in a business/church setting. It is relative secure but not super fast to draw.
Last edited by raptor on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Church carry is encouraged in my part of the world.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:Church carry is encouraged in my part of the world.
State laws vary. In LA it is possible albeit with caveats and exceptions. I assume it is legal in the OP's state.
In any even the discussion is assumed NOT to be in violation of any applicable law which applies to the OP. :wink:
YMMV.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:05 pm

OP is good to go for church carry. My occasional innarwebz jackassery my not lend to the idea, but I'm actually on the church board. We hand a 3 minute discussion on the matter after 9/11. Our Pastor even "preached on it" from the pulpit.

I'm still curious about the Kydex shoulder holsters. Ares Tactical has one that looks cool, but I don't think it'll draw that well and still have the retention needed to hunt and work in. And it might not be that comfy vs leather... but the mall ninja part of me still kind of wants to try it.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Before I got my Galco, I was using a Blackhawk nylon shoulder holster that my pistol fell out of three times. I strongly suggest leather or Kydex for a shoulder rig.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Just got he Galco Classic Lite in at lunch. Overall,.. pretty darn nice for use with small pistol. The gun has to be fitted to the holster according to the instructions. It just won't fit right if you don't. Not a big deal. I read about that before I ordered it. When the holster is fitted properly on your body, drawing it is no problem. The strap pulls tight around the shoulder blade and holds the holster plenty tight to draw the gun. If you flex your back a bit on that side, it tightens a little more and draws even better. No worrying about holding the holster to draw. No need to fix the holster to my belt. Makes me feel like a kydex holster on the same suede shoulder straps to would work great. Wearing it with the backpack or the Kit Bag is very comfortable. I don't think a longer pistol would work as well with the backpack. Everything is just where it should be with the 3.3 XDS. A 4in XD might by OK but any longer might put the end of the holster under the backpack shoulder strap. For my body I think any adjusting to accommodate a pistol much bigger that the 3.3 or 4 inch my effect the draw or comfort. The non-holster side has a single mag pouch. I'd rather have a down facing flashlight pouch, fixed blade knife scabbard, or multi-tool pouch.... of even goofier, a place for my cell phone. Those are things I prefer at the ready over an extra mag in the field. However, for edc the mag makes more sense. OH,.. and another thing. The suede is quiet. Sitting in the deer stand, that's important. Even the snap doesn't make much noise.

Imma call it a win. I think it could be improved, but not without destroying the dual purpose requirement. Also, not without spending more money. I could go more field carry and add some stuff, but its fine as is.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Just be sure to also budget for a light colored sport coat with the sleeves rolled up. :awesome:
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:37 am

I go shirtless with the shoulder holster (I'm a 5'4" 225 lb sex beast, btw) and walk my chihuahua "Elvis" around my house boat that's docked in my driveway. My token black friend, Stubbs, likes to come over. He's pretty smart. We try to figure out crimes and stuff. But mostly we just shoot at an old trash can and watch reruns of Miami Vice.

For reals though. The first season of Miami Vice is flippin' awesome. If you ever only just watch the first season of Miami Vice, you've done yourself a favor. It goes down hill after season 3.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 am

Late to the thread, but for anyone else looking this might fit the bill....
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q939p3i97o[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/5Q939p3i97o
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm

LowKey wrote:Late to the thread, but for anyone else looking this might fit the bill....
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q939p3i97o[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/5Q939p3i97o
The Andrews rig is NOICE! but très très cost a lot of money. The Galco was $80 shipped. My solution to the extra tool for field carry was a simple one. My Old Timer Big Timer fits the mag pouch perfectly. So does my Gerber Multi Tool. Unsnap and either just drop out. Galco makes a double mag holder that I could have a Phone pocket sewn on the back of, but I'm pretty happy with this setup. Just as information, I haven't had any issues concealing under casual jackets and vests (like NorthFace Fleece vest types) or in full, Church or wedding ready, suit and tie. Also wear well in my "sexy professor" get up. Yea,... I can ROCK elbow patches.

Return to “Handguns”