Looking for advice on socks

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Looking for advice on socks

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 pm

I have a bunch of odds and ends of mostly shitty socks. As they are wearing out, I am thinking I should standardize on something good to replace them. The shoes that fit my feet well (L.L. Bean men's comfort mocs) are not very breathable, so it's a high priority for the socks to be very breathable.

A number of family members have been recommending Darn Tough Socks, so I bought a few pairs to try out. They're all too warm, even the thin, non-padded ones. Said family members live in New England, so probably works better for them. I really like the idea of high quality socks made in America that are guaranteed for life, but they're all wool, and also like $15 a pair. That's fine, I will use them for really cold days, but I already had some SmartWool.

What I need now is like 30 pairs of everyday fluffy socks that breath well and aren't too warm. Not being too expensive, not shedding lint everywhere, and still being comfortable at the end of 18 hours wearing shoes (I sometimes spend pretty long days teaching and making stuff in the shop) would be nice too.

I know there are a lot of people on here who have jobs that are pretty tough on your feet, so I thought I would ask for your accumulated wisdom.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Re: Looking for advice on socks

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 am

I wear darn toughs 99% of the time I have a sock on my foot. Wife n I own prolly 20 pair. Mostly boot socks, full cushion. I recommend them to anyone and often buy friends socks so they can experience the magic.

Which style darn toughs are you wearing that are too warm?

Check out their website? They make everything from Snow socks, to dress socks.

Without knowing what you currently have I would recommend the "standard issue" boot sock since it is only 55 wool / 40 nylon. The black or charcoal would pass as a modern dress sock.

Good luck, don't give up yet!

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:49 am

My first thought is that you need to work on getting quality footwear that is breathable ahead of going off on a big sock hunt!

You don't mention what part of the country your in, but I'm also a wool sock 99% of the time except deep summer guy as well!

This is a joint effort though and you need both shoes/boots and socks to be good to get good results!

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:10 am

Don't raise the bridge, lower the river.

How are your socks wearing out? If at the heel, your shoes are loose and scraping the heel of your socks. Try better fitting shoes or a small adhesive pad called heel savers.

Toes? Get a pedicure once a month, that has extended the life of my socks considerably.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:14 am

I'm a Gold Toe fan. Nothing fancy, but they have served me well for years, and that includes some 18+ hour days in Magnum boots.

Might not get the same length of use out of them, but they are affordable to replace.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:17 am

I like Darn Tough Socks, and Point6. Not cheap, but they hold up well.

http://point6.com

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:09 pm

I've had good luck with Browning brand socks.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:21 pm

My local Costco is selling a 3 pack of light hiking merino wool socks for $7 to $8. Might have been Kirkland but I can't recall. Can check once back home.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:06 pm

If you have the room in the boot, go with liner + outer socks like the backpackers. I used polypro liners and Smart Wool outer socks. Both are wicking socks, and they lasted a surprisingly long time.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Use socks that fit you well and that you like. Try to keep them dry. Change them when they are dirty. Use wool when it is wet outside and something thicker when it is real cold. Substitute a thin coat of Vaseline for socks in the dry, warm months. Stench and fungus are friends. You can live together. Black and grey toenails are always a conversation starter at swimming events if people are uncomfortable to stare at your upper body tattoo collection. If you simply like trouble, add a "Don't stare at my toenails" tattoo on your left shoulder and try to keep it pointed at people at the pool party. Never trust chafers or things that cause chafing or you hear might chafe if you allow it to chafe. Friends don't let friends chafe. Put a stop to it immediately.

Also, have you been to your local gun show lately? Once could pick up 10 pair of the white, cotton, sports socks for around $8 where I live and probably cut a deal for a dream catcher and some salmon-flavored almonds at nearby tables. Near Dulles, over the summer, one dealer offered a ton of Nazi memorabilia as well but I am not a collector of that stuff or one that draws conclusions when I get to visit the big cities.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:44 pm

In addition to the others mentioned:

Thor-lo (padded-very comfortable-durable sock. Will last years.) Thor-lo
LL Bean, (Thick wool, comfortable, -durable). LL Bean

The Bean socks I use almost like slippers in the colder months. Both of these make socks I like and that I find last a long time even with rough treatment. I do not know if having them made a great difference over regular cotton socks so sometimes I have to look at it like this is something that I spent $ on and it is still with me, a characteristic which I tend to value highly.

Averages between $8 and $15 /pair seems ridiculous to me but I have paid it.
And the value is there.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:12 am

You mentioned smartwool socks...I splurge on my feet and smartwool socks are the only thing I wear all 4 seasons. Smartwool makes a very light weight crew that works well for me on summers.
Several outdoor stores like eastern mountain sports make their own variants which are less pricey. Eastern also has regularly scheduled sales on all socks-buy three pair get one free.
In regards to cost....I find the durability of quality wool offset their price and it cost less to wear wool than quality cotton.
Comfort wise ....my feet sweat horribly in cotton and the socks turn out to be soggy in warmer weather, doesn't happen with wool.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Wigwam is another USA made brand with a wide selection.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:41 pm

+1 on the Wigwam. Those are always my hard-wearing socks of choice. Not very pricey, and they last for years.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

minengr

Post by minengr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Haven't bought any myself, but a buddy says Dickies now makes a sock. He loves them.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:14 pm

I forgot to mention Bridgedale as a really stellar sock for cold weather activity as well as hiking and running.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun May 01, 2016 1:10 pm

minengr wrote:Haven't bought any myself, but a buddy says Dickies now makes a sock. He loves them.
I got a pair of those for Christmas. Wonderful socks - they've become my new hiking/trekking socks. Haven't worn through a pair yet, they're lush and cushy, very comfortable.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

BAD BOY

Post by BAD BOY » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Bass Pro Shop Redhead wool socks are my favorites. Best bang for the buck and lifetime warranty but I have yet to wear out my oldest pair at around 6 years.

I wear the heavy weight versions all year long, even in the Arizona summer. They keep your feet warmer in winter and dry in the summer.

If you're a hiker like myself, I always recommend changing your socks at around 10 miles. This keeps you from getting hot spots on your feet and feels like heaven too.

Return to “Other Gear”